Replacing batteries in Bluetooth mice and keyboards

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is sort of off topic. I am thinking of purchasing a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. However, before I do, I have a question. From what I read on this forum and other Bluetooth forums, I see that the batteries in both Bluetooth mice and Bluetooth keyboards have to be replaced often (two to three weeks). My question is how hard is it to replace the batteries on these devices? Can the batteries be replaced easily? I ask this because I have the use of only one hand due to a stroke. Judging from your experiences, will I be able to replace the batteries with one hand?

I would much rather go with Bluetooth, however, I am wondering if I should go wireless instead of with Bluetooth since the batteries in wireless devices do not have to be changed that often.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It would depend on the mouse you are thinking of. Are there any that you have been looking at?

The logitech bluetooth mouse has rechargeable batteries and charges in a dock.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I have the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I just took the batteries out and put them back in with one hand to see how difficult it might be. I'm pleased to say that they were both very easy to do.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Every 2-3 weeks? That seems quite outrageous and hardly worth it to me. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Every 2-3 weeks? That seems quite outrageous and hardly worth it to me. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

You might want to read the MacIntouch Bluetooth Reader Reports.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

It would depend on the mouse you are thinking of. Are there any that you have been looking at?

The logitech bluetooth mouse has rechargeable batteries and charges in a dock.

At this time I am eyeing the Kensington Pilot Mouse and the RadTech. I will have to take another look at the Logitech.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    i have the apple blutooth keyboard and mouse. the keyboard batt's i have replaced once since september, and the mouse batt's twice.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I have had my iMac G5 with Bluetooth for a month. and have rarely ever turned them 'off', they usually stay on while i put the imac to sleep. My batteries still read 3/4 or better. these are the batteries that were included with the units. It was advertised for 2 months of run time from the batteries. I think apple is the class leader in battery run time for bluetooth devices though, I have heard of lots of other bluetooth keyboard/mice that are battery hogs.

my 2cents
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I've had my iMac G5 with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for just about a month. I use the machine daily for 3-4 hours. The original alkaline batteries supplied with the machine on both KB and mouse are still showing as having over 80% charge.

I plan to replace these with NiMH batteries when they run out. The rechargeable batteries are pretty inexpensive these days. I have a spare set that will stay in the charger, so I always have a set available when needed.

-- Mehdi --
  • Reply 9 of 10
    If you've got a laptop, be sure to turn bluetooth off when you're not using a wireless mouse/keyboard to save battery life because I found it would connect my mouse even if it was in a bag in the next room!

Quote:

Originally posted by mehdi

I've had my iMac G5 with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for just about a month. I use the machine daily for 3-4 hours. The original alkaline batteries supplied with the machine on both KB and mouse are still showing as having over 80% charge.

I plan to replace these with NiMH batteries when they run out. The rechargeable batteries are pretty inexpensive these days. I have a spare set that will stay in the charger, so I always have a set available when needed.

-- Mehdi --

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

I use my Apple BT mouse with my portable nearly every work day for a least several hours. I think I've replace the batteries 3 or 4 times in a year. I bought a bunch of rechargable batteries for my digital camera, two of which I use in the mouse. I have no trouble recomending the apple BT mouse if you are ok with the whole single button issue.