$2,500 spending limit, what should i do?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I've been a loyal mac user and specifically Powerbook user for awhile. I started with the Powerbook G4, 500 (original tiBook) and its long passed its applecare warranty plan. Plus, I plan on getting into FCP so i'd like a faster computer for that anyway.

The limit: $2500 (excluding tax)

The Ideas:

A) MWSF, January 10th purchase the most up to date Powerbook 15" @$2500

B) iMac G5 17", 1.8GHz G5+ 14" ibook, 1.33GHz G4

1. Wait until January 10th (keynote+expo) to buy these

II. Buy them now, both at mid product life.

I'm in college, so I get the educational discount.

I'm spending $2500 at Apple on a computer, so don't tell me to go to Hawaii or buy a typewriter...

Suggestions welcome. Keep in mind i'd like good performance, and we don't know what the Powerbook will be like in 'O5. We can, however, guess that its either a G4 or a G5 and it is not likely that they will be over 2.0GHz, and more likely they will be the same speed as the iMac. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mero

I'm spending $2500 at Apple Computer, so don't tell me to go to Hawaii or buy a typewriter...

Stocks?

Oh, wait it was:

Quote:

I'm spending $2500 at Apple on a computer, so don't tell me to go to Hawaii or buy a typewriter...

I'd open the chase in January Take the best 15" PB available, max out Ram, grab an additional (or two) FW HDs. Enjoy.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Buy one U2 edition iPod and every song they ever made. Use leftover money to feed self pizza for next year.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    meromero Posts: 27member
    i got dees one

• Reply 4 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Personally, I'd pick up either a 14" Powerbook (maxed out on everything), or a 17" iMac.

One point: with the desktops, don't bother upping the RAM on the Apple store. If you're comfortable upgrading the machine yourself, you can buy quality RAM for half the price Apple charges.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mero

Ok, I've been a loyal mac user and specifically Powerbook user for awhile. I started with the Powerbook G4, 500 (original tiBook) and its long passed its applecare warranty plan. Plus, I plan on getting into FCP so i'd like a faster computer for that anyway.

The limit: $2500 (excluding tax)

The Ideas:

A) MWSF, January 10th purchase the most up to date Powerbook 15" @$2500

B) iMac G5 17", 1.8GHz G5+ 14" ibook, 1.33GHz G4

1. Wait until January 10th (keynote+expo) to buy these

II. Buy them now, both at mid product life.

I'm in college, so I get the educational discount.

Suggestions welcome. Keep in mind i'd like good performance, and we don't know what the Powerbook will be like in 'O5. We can, however, guess that its either a G4 or a G5 and it is not likely that they will be over 2.0GHz, and more likely they will be the same speed as the iMac. What are your thoughts?

Well I dont want my G4 17". You can have it. Brand new never used. Comes with 90day tech support and 1 year warranty.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I wouldnt be comfortable carrying around a 17" powerbook!

I got my 15" powerbook into Micro today, and its getting fixed! Apple has a $350 flat rate for all products not covered under warranty. Its more expensive if its your LCD of course, but mine is fine so that's not a problem. They will replace logicboard, battery, chassy, case parts etc. All for $350. Thats why its shocking that people buy so many parts on ebay... when you can spend less (in many cases) and get new apple parts and apple technicians!

Anyway, the plan right now is to get the most performance out of my $2500 and get a machine that will last awhile. Aka refurbished dual 2.0gh G5+3rd party 19" LCD. The plan could change, come January 10th. I may end up just going with a Powerbook...we shall see. But i think the Dual G5 would suit me now and in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I have a newest model 15" PB and while it's been a good investment so far (my first Apple), I have been thinking things over, considering selling it. I now think it would be better to have a decent small portable (the 12" iBook is an awesome deal right now) and then a desktop. More so for you, since you can actually use processing power.

Since you have the old PB now (and probably the necessities like a case, which also factor into the cost), I'd say your plan to put the whole $2500 into a desktop is correct.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    This is always a popular combination:

Powerbook G4 12-inch

$1,399.00

Combo Drive

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA/100

NVIDIA GeForce FX

Go5200 (64MB DDR)

20-inch Cinema Display

$1,169.00

Total cost: $2568
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Just a reminder: Dell 2005FP has the same panel as Apple 20", I hear it can be had in the US for $600+.