Video Chat Mac -> PC?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I would like to know if there is some software that will let me conduct a video chat (or at least audio) with a PC user. The thing is: I'm living in China, but I might head back to my native soil for a fortnight's holiday in a few months. During that period, it'd be nice to stay in touch with my girlfriend, who'll stay in China. She uses a PC, and I reckon that telephone would probably be expensive, and stupid, seeing as how broadband internet is available on both ends. Webcams and microphones are not a problem, they are dirt-cheap here. Software, however... does anybody have any knowledge (and maybe even experience)? You are thanked in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    iChat on the Mac end and a newest version of AOL Instant Messenger for the PC should do the trick. Just connect through a video chat.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Use Yahoo messenger for video chat (use the webcam feature). Use Skype for audio chat. Run both at the same time for a video conference. This works over a dial up as opposed to iChat. It allows multiple parties to conference as well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Try SquidCam, it has software for both Mac an PC.

http://www.squidsoft.com/squidcam/faq.cfm
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I have personal experience doing almost precisely that.

One of my family's business partners lives in Shanghai, and he and I chat every so often, he on AOL and broadband, me on iChatAV and broadband.

As long as you have a speedy connection on both ends, just use that. It's free on both ends, it's reliable as heck, and it works exceedingly well.

Caveat: I have had some problems with AOL/Windows users in the past, but every time it turned out to be a misconfigured firewall/router somewhere in their end of things.