Nintendo DS (just got mine)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I had been told that PSP was something between a PS1 and PS2, kinda like a PS 1 & 2/3rds, which really should be awesome, but perhaps not more than a half step ahead of the DS in terms of gaming. Certainly the Sony unit seems more capable of delivering some eye-popping visuals on that nice big wide screen.

I wonder, what will the price be?

The PSP will be a PS2 portable, not a PS1.67. I keep wondering why people can't wrap their heads around that info. Look at the size of the restyled PS2 and realize that most of its size is in the 5.25" optical drive.

There's no wondering what the price will be. Sony revealed the Japanese pricing a while ago and it translated to about $190 USD. The DS doesn't have a prayer come March '05.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    actually you're wrong

the PSP is actually, yes, more like a PS1.67 portable

people are overrating it way too much, first of all the hardware CANNOT achieve full ps2 graphics, though i will admit it comes about 90% close, and second

the UMD's will eat battery. it has been stated by sony themselves: normal games like tetris style puzzle games would get 4-6 hours MAX, while more graphic intense games like metal gear card game get a lot less. no one is going to make a game that takes full advantage of the PSP hardware because it will run for only about an hour, either that or you will have to play with it constantly being plugged in: then whats the point of a portable? thank you

the DS on the other hand: achieves dreamcast graphics (keeping in mind the small resolution of the screen, and not having progressive scan, not being 128 bit like the dreamcast (believe me i know)) but all in all it mimics dreamcast graphics almost perfectly... and this coming from games that were in production for a couple of months, just starting off with the DS hardware.

the DS will be pushed more and more, while the PSP is stuck,

that is the full and unbias truth, wether you admit it or not
  • Reply 23 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

groverat aren't you getting married? Better play with the Nintendo and all that while you still can.

Got married in October. I play while she works on her law school stuff.

Quote:

[b]The DS doesn't have a prayer come March '05.[b]

Doesn't have a prayer to what?

I guess since the XBOX(HUGELOL) had better graphics than the PS2 and GC neither of those has a prayer.

Or something.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I'm glad to hear the good reviews. I just got one for each of my kids. It looks like a nice upgrade from their current GBA's. I still borrow theirs to play racing games, not interested in the other types. Now if only they would put gyro's in the unit to provide feed back while I play.

reg
  • Reply 25 of 43
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I'll toss my two cents in on this one.

I bought a DS sight unseen the day it came out - I had no idea it was even going to hit the market - just walked into work and did one of those "hey, I gots to gets me one of them" impulse buys.

I've been incredibly happy with my purchase - being that I didn't have a Nintendo 64 (kinda skipped that generation due to an addiction to PC gaming) Mario 64 has been a lovely experience. The touch screen has been an excellent tool in navigating levels with more precision. I find myself using the D pad to get around and switching to the thubbin (thumb nubbin) for more delicate control.

GBA games look quite good on either screen. They're bright, sharp and the stereo sound in phenomenal on the unit.

If the PSP has lovely visuals and decent battery life, I'll pick it up. If it's one to two hours in most games, I'll wait until the PSP Plus or the PSP 2 or the PSP WDFUTBTTE (We didn't f-up the battery this time edition).

It's a little like a Hummer - sure I can drive over mountains, but if I've got to stop every 300 km and buy a hundred bucks worth of gas - frankly I can't be arsed.

Good luck Sony - let's see if you can earn my dollar. In the meantime, Nintendo's got 'em.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I don't think the UMD thing will burn a lot of battery on the PSP. After seeing how much mileage a mini-disc player can get out of a couple AAA batteries I do not question their ability to reduce that impact.

Sony are working hard to make sure that developers release games which dont overtax the system. Mini discs only get good battery life because they _dont_ spin the disk. My MD gets 3x the battery life when using long play discs. It can fit four times as much music in its cache memory which reduces its disc spinning significantly. The PSP will face the same issue. Games that dont need to load a lot of data will play for ages. The problem is that a lot if initial releases are going to be PS1 and PS2 ports. They are designed for systems that didnt have to worry about batteries and it will cost the PSP dearly to play them. However, games designed for the PSP will shine. It just might take a while to get enough released.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Mini discs only get good battery life because they _dont_ spin the disk.

Really?

Here I was trying to defend the PSP and I have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

I guess since the XBOX(HUGELOL) had better graphics than the PS2 and GC neither of those has a prayer.

With these three systems, the differences are slight, but it's really only because the developers are using common code. PS2 continues to shine since GC and XBox games hardly look better.

When you compare a PS2 to a N64, well, there just isn't any comparison.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    You're working with the assumption that DS=N64 and PSP=PS2.

I do not think that is an accurate assumption.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

You're working with the assumption that DS=N64 and PSP=PS2.

I do not think that is an accurate assumption.

Quite a few PSP games are basically direct ports, so it really doesn't matter what you think. As well quite a few DS games are N64 ports. In addition, it's a far more accurate than comparing the PSP to the DS as XBox vs PS2.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    As someone said, it's like comparing the PS2 to the Xbox, the PS2 continues to dominate, despite the Xbox having a decent selection of titles and having superior hardware.

Oh, and the PSP is not PS2 hardware, it's close, but it is not.

To be honest I don't know who will win this one, but Nintendo have domination in this market, and it will probably take more than one portable Sony incarnation to upset Nintendo's foot hold.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Eug, just because you keep repeating something - it doesn't make it true. While the names of some of the PSP launch titles are the same or similar to PS2 games, the games are inherently different and being developed by different teams.

The hardware is roughly equivalent to half of what the PS2 has right now - 2MB of Vram v. 4 for the standalone system, doesn't push as many polys etc. It's got true lighting and transform and some interesting stuff in the way of 3D rendering built right in. It's all based on a RISC processor (yay RISC!) so that's a step in the right direction.

If we're under the impression that Sony will be using current battery technology to push this kind of hardware for 5-6 hour battery life WITH an optical reader - I think that's overly optimistic.

So I believe we're going to run into the same issue that we've seen through the history of handheld units. Someone (Sega, Atari, Sony) introduces a game system (Game Gear, Lynx, PSP) with better specs (Colour, 16bit, PS1/PS2 capable graphics and performance) and incredibly poor battery life (2 hours on six double A's, three hours on four double A's, 2 - 3 hours on a lithium ion rechargable). With the DS or the GBAsp you can play in the dark or whenever for a quick fix for up to ten hours before recharging.

The PSP will probably appeal to the same folks who are buying portable DVD players right now (and they are selling!) It'll be great for long trips where you can plug that sucker into a DC adapter - however, as a true portable, I see it's applications as being limited.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd really love to see this system do some wonderful things. I've got two fitty Canadian earmarked for it. If battery life is even six hours average on most games, I'll pick it up. If it needs recharging every two, I'll wait - PS2 graphics on the go be damned.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

Eug, just because you keep repeating something - it doesn't make it true. While the names of some of the PSP launch titles are the same or similar to PS2 games, the games are inherently different and being developed by different teams.

That's like saying Netscape 7.0 is inherently different than Mozilla because a team of AOL programmers tweaked it a bit. So what? And arguing the minutia of the PSP hardware is going to be useless when what people see is what they get. 2+2 MB of VRAM is going to make little difference to people who can plainly see that their PSP games are for the most part as beautiful and playable as their PS2 games.

And on the battery issue, how many of us are iPod owners despite its weak battery life? 8-12 hours depending on the model? What about those old Dell DJ which got 20 hours? I have more time to listen to music on the go than playing video games. If the PSP gets 2-3 hours of operation when it's most taxed, then so be it. That's enough for most of us. On a plane or in a car we'll be able to plug it in to a power source (cigarette lighter jack, airplane adapters, self-provided piggy-back batteries, whatever.)

I guess we'll just have to wait till March.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    You'll have to agree to disagree regarding the semantics of the differences between the units. I'll believe it when it when I see it. If we've got PS2 portable graphics in March, I'll tip my hat to you, elsewise I'll expect the same from you

I think your iPod analogy is a little flawed - 8-12 hours is your average day. Let's say I play an hour or two a day on my iPod. I can go a week without charing the sucker up. Same thing goes for my GBAsp or my DS - a week and charge it at the end. For a battery with around 300 charging cycles, that means that I'm looking at around 5 years to exhaust the battery.

Let's say I play an hour or two on my PSP. That's a charge every two days. So three charges a week. I'm looking at just under two years to exhaust the battery.

It's not just about playtime, it's about battery life overall. It's also a pain in the patoot. Again, I'm looking forward to owning a PSP (my PSX sits no less than a foot away from me, and the PS2 is hooked up to the Toshiba 51 along with the Xbox, the GCN, the Genesis and the SNES). I like GAMES. I don't like playing games with my power supply.

If we've got multiple batteries... well, it's a stopgap solution, but it'd go a long way. Here's hoping Sony can hammer this little detail out.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    imeime Posts: 40member
    I am considering purchasing a Nintendo DS but still am not too sure.

The first thing that bugs me is the lack of software that comes with the unit. Why couldn?t have Nintendo have included an address book and calendar. Seems like such a simple thing yet they ignored it.

Secondly, is there a lack of good games that have launched with the system or is it just me? Sure Mario64 DS is a great title but after playing it a few years back I don?t really want to waste my time doing the same thing again.

What other games are there that could really be a selling point for the DS except for Mario64 DS? I?ve heard of a title called Feel The Magic: XY/XX ? is it any good?

Hopefully the DS owners and gurus can answer my questions.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    You made the wrong choice.

• Reply 37 of 43
    imeime Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

[B]You made the wrong choice.

That right there would be the Nintendo SP, not Nintendo DS.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Nowhere in Existence's message does he identify the pictured gaming device as a DS.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Nowhere in Existence's message does he identify the pictured gaming device as a DS.

Nowhere did he identify the PSP either...
  • Reply 40 of 43
    iMe:

The launch titles are uninspirational, but the same can be said of all hardware launches. Mario 64 is absolutely fantastic, but past that there really isn't a whole lot to interest me right now that is "DS".

What I am going to start doing soon is check out some of the GBA games I haven't played since I never got one. There are a ton of cheap, good, market-tested games out there already for this system if you look at the GBA part of it.

The best will come later. Animal Crossing DS, Super Mario Brothers DS, Metroid Prime DS, MarioKart DS, Kirby Platformer, Baten Kaitos & Xenosaga (if you're into RPGs), WarioWare DS.

I'll probably buy at least 4 of those titles (MarioKart, Super Mario & Kirby Platformer for sure).

Mario64 and some cheap, good GBA titles will hold me over very well until new DS games hit. I am not worried about it in the least.

Also, the flash carts that worked on GBAs also work with the DS, so I'll be looking into that too.

Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

You made the wrong choice.

They put a chip in my brain that will now make it impossible for me to buy a PSP.

It's a tragic thing really.

Thanks for your contribution to the Nintendo DS thread.