Goodbye Apple :(

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I tried to purchase a new iBook on credit. I was denied. I am a full-time student with moderately good credit, and yet I was denied. Aparently, Apple has changed over to a Master Card - thus making it extremely difficult for people not named Trump to qualify.

So, I just wanted to share my grief. How am I suppose to be a "Mac person" (and I do love Mac) when I can't purchase the product? To make matters worse, Dell approved me for $3,500 the other day and I am now the less-than-proud owner of a Inspiron 5160. It's a sad day for me. Nevertheless, I can no longer call myself a Mac fanatic. Selah...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Join the club. I got turned down for a new 15" G4 Powerbook. I'm in the Navy, over 16 years, and my total household income is around 80 grand. Got turned down. But Dell gave my 2 grand in credit in less than 10 seconds. So now I use an Inspiron 8600. Which altogether isn't a bad notebook. XP is not as stable and nice as OS X, but at least I got something new.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Ok, out of curiosity, if the income is 80 grand, why couldn't you just straight up buy it? What did you need credit for?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Sorry to break it to you, but neither of you qualify as Mac fanatics. A true Machead wouldn't let lack of credit stop them when other viable avenues, say prostitution, are open. Perhaps I should broaden the scope of my planned "Expose yourself and win an iPod" website to include Macs. Seriously, though, no amount of credit would make me switch to Dell. Here's hoping one day you will join us and AI will be one.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smokestacker

I tried to purchase a new iBook on credit. I was denied. I am a full-time student with moderately good credit, and yet I was denied. Aparently, Apple has changed over to a Master Card - thus making it extremely difficult for people not named Trump to qualify.

So, I just wanted to share my grief. How am I suppose to be a "Mac person" (and I do love Mac) when I can't purchase the product? To make matters worse, Dell approved me for $3,500 the other day and I am now the less-than-proud owner of a Inspiron 5160. It's a sad day for me. Nevertheless, I can no longer call myself a Mac fanatic. Selah...

I hope you enjoy every minute of it

A true mac fan would not let "credit" get in their way.......
  • Reply 5 of 19
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I sure wouldn't let it stop me, i'd hit macmall and try for credit there, the mac connection, then so on and so on and so on. Just because Apple says no, doesn't mean one of the other authorized dealers wouldn't say yes. Do a little more work before you bitch, after you check all those sites, then bitch. But bitch at yourself for having either "A" bad credit or "B" no credit , which many times will get you turned down.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    God you guys are bastards! Have you no sympathy for poor people? :P
  • Reply 7 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smokestacker

I hate to sound like a complete ass but why would you or anyone else buy a computer on credit? Computers devalue so fast as it is and you end up paying a premium because of all the interest.

So the machine costs $1300 and with interest you end up paying $2000. Of course the real issue is that this machine will be worth about $500 in a few months and you will still likely owe a ton on it.

Not bright by any stretch. I wouldn't recommend it for Dell, Apple or anyone with a decent IQ.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    $80k/yr is poor??? Well in that case, I'm fricking destitute, I make 1/4 of that.

Sorry, but if someone making $80k/yr can't afford a computer, they need to seriously look at their spending habits.

No sympathy here.

And what the hell does MasterCard have to do with it? I have an MC Platinum with 1/4 of my annual salary in credit. I'd be looking to your credit rating for the problem, not Apple. Jeez.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I'm technically "poor" half the time but I buy my Macs in cold hard cash.

F credit.

Why would you want to pay all that interest?

s-a-v-e.

Cut down on the Starbucks and Herman Miller Aeron chairs and save up for a Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I bought my iBook on credit from Bestbuy - $60 gave me two years equal payments - given that I saved that and more on the employee discount (go Future Shop, yay!) it seemed like a good idea. My first royalty cheque is going to cover it, but I didn't have the cash at the time (student, car payments, insurance, video game habit)

Again, Apple isn't the only source of credit for Macs. Tenacity goes a long way.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    last night I tried to get a pizza with my Master Card and I didn't get approved... I decided to say goodbye to food, and started living on air...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

last night I tried to get a pizza with my Master Card and I didn't get approved... I decided to say goodbye to food, and started living on air...

HAhAHA
  • Reply 13 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

I hope you enjoy every minute of it

A true mac fan would not let "credit" get in their way.......

yea...I am busting my ass to pay the bills and put a little away for a decent laptop...my target is the low end ibook, I wwuld like to do credit, but part of me just says "NO!" I havent even tried to apply for apple credit, but as for MBNA, I have heard that they approve nearly anyone, the only thing is the worse the credit, the more the intrest/fees.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I'm technically "poor" half the time but I buy my Macs in cold hard cash.

F credit.

Why would you want to pay all that interest?

s-a-v-e.

Cut down on the Starbucks and Herman Miller Aeron chairs and save up for a Mac.

I managed to get 10 months interest free credit from Apple this time last year, to buy my 12" powerbook. Only time I've bought something on credit... I don't really like doing it. If my Pismo hadn't died I probably would have just saved up.

Amorya
  • Reply 15 of 19
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yea, I hear ya. I did that, too, until I died from starvation. .... What do you mean, you think I'm lying?! Of COURSE I'm dead!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Ok, out of curiosity, if the income is 80 grand, why couldn't you just straight up buy it? What did you need credit for?

Notice how you got no response?

I did not get approved but that just means I need to try harder....clean up my credit, work harder at work to earn more money, make that PowerBook worth it!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    So suppose you did as I did and used cash for my ibook purchase and then were so broke (unexpected job loss) that you had to use your credit card to buy other things (food, coffee, etc). Essentially it really doesn't matter that I bought the Ibook with cash; the expenditure put me in the hole and now I have to use credit to get by until I make the I-book investment pay off. So, even though I used cash to make the direct purchase, I'm using credit to fund it in the long term. In other words, you're argumkent is based on a literal interpretation of life, and that doesn't allow much for the vagaries of the universe. (BTW, using credit to buy food by your rationale would be the worst thing someone could do because the investment literally turns to shit within 24-48 hours.). So, by your rationale, a person shouldn't make an expenditure unless they have the cash. Wouldn't you want to know what the computer was being used for before making such a judgment. I might agree if it was just bought for fun and games, Unless of course the stress relief those games bought were necessary. You have to look at the benefit to society that comes from that transaction, and the costs. And the benefit to the buyer. If the person is a writer, and the computer allows him/her to write a novel or short story collection, then it's probably an excellent investment, especially if the advance covers the debt.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Notice how you got no response?

I did not get approved but that just means I need to try harder....clean up my credit, work harder at work to earn more money, make that PowerBook worth it!

Sorry, I didn't respond. Ooooops. Well, I might pay cash next year a new Powerbook, thanks to an upcoming bonus from the Navy. I'll try to sell my Dell.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I hate to sound like a complete ass but why would you or anyone else buy a computer on credit? Computers devalue so fast as it is and you end up paying a premium because of all the interest.

I used my credit card to buy my last PowerBook, but I didn't buy on credit (i.e. I paid the card off before interest accrued). Why would I do this if I already had the ca$h you ask? Good question and here's my answer; having a platinum credit card has the benefit of automatically doubling the manufacturer's warranty up to one year in length.

So by buying my PowerBook with plastic, I get a 2 year warranty without having to get AppleCare for 3 years of protection. The $349 savings is quite worth it to me and I figure any problems (like those damn white spots) that happen after 2 years would probably be my fault. Besides I ended up selling my last PowerBook before the 3 year warranty was up so the 3 year warranty was a waste of money for me.