Brand new Powermac, iPhoto troubles

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My dad just got a brand new Powermac dual 2Ghz, 2Gigs of RAM, and wants to use iPhoto to organise his photos (and do some serious database work). Unfortunately it seems stuck at the organising part (or atleast that's what I interpret it as "doing"). It's been left alone for hours and it's still at it, and no the image liberary he imported from his Windows box isn't that large. Also if you try to import any pictures while it does this, it crashes. He's not very happy at this point to say the least.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

My dad just got a brand new Powermac dual 2Ghz, 2Gigs of RAM, and wants to use iPhoto to organise his photos (and do some serious database work). Unfortunately it seems stuck at the organising part (or atleast that's what I interpret it as "doing"). It's been left alone for hours and it's still at it, and no the image liberary he imported from his Windows box isn't that large. Also if you try to import any pictures while it does this, it crashes. He's not very happy at this point to say the least.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

what do you mean by "imported his photo library?" if he tried to manually insert his old pics into iPhoto through Finder, then it's probably something he delteed by accident. if he went through the iPhoto menu 'Import', then i'm not really sure why it's being dumb.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Was afraid that you might say that, thanks for trying though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Delete your iPhoto library directory. Clear out the cache / preferences. Make sure the software is up to date. Import the files again. iPhoto works well with my collection of about 2300 photos on a 1.25GHz G4 with no noticable delay...

-----------

Since it is a new machine and he should have updated sofware, did you fix permissions and do a disk check afterwards?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    @talksense101

Thanks for the reply, but my dad has used the Applecare support to fix it. Sorry for taking up your time.

If anybody's interested, I'll try and find out what fixed it/went wrong.