Buy a pb 15" now?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there and hello to the community!

i want to buy a powerbook 15" with 128mb radeon and all in all 1,2 gb ram incl. superdrive. Im a multimedia user.

what would you guys say:

-> wait until macworld? what will there be announced and how long does it take to be in stores? im a windows user so i dont know the apple habits. Does it make sense to wait?

-> if i bought a upgraded pb - will it work fine or am i on the save side if i buy a pb thats well tested like the 1,5ghz pb 15" thats now available?

->how long can i work comfortably with the pb15" thats available now? is it already old or can it still compete with other notebooks?

thank you very very much for your help.....

greetz from Vienna, Flippo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Personally, I'd wait till macworld, cause it's pretty much a given that there will be new powerbooks. Whether or not they are desirable is inconsequential because their release will lower the prices of current powerbooks by a couple hundred bucks, so by waiting just a bit longer either you a) get a more kick ass machine than currently available or b) get more or less the same thing you're planning on but for a lower price.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Wait! You will see PowerBook G5s announced at MWSF. It is almost certain. Of course, if you NEED something now, you NEED to buy it now. If you are asking out of curiosity, surely wait. They are coming. I have a 12" PB (867MHz) and it still does a nice job. Of course, so does my Dual 533 PowerMac.

All depends on need and use.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Magic 8 ball says....

Maybe, Maybe not!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Even if a PB G5 is announced at MWSF, don't expect to actually get your hands on one before March.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    i already asked that in another thread but:

will the new ones..either speedbumps or new g5´s..have the price that the actual powerbooks have now and the old ones go down then?

or will the new ones go up to more thatn 3000$ and the old ones go down?

i thouhgt that if steve jobs announces some new stuff its hitting the stores soon after it...

thanks and greetz from vienna,

Flippo
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flippo

i already asked that in another thread but:

will the new ones..either speedbumps or new g5´s..have the price that the actual powerbooks have now and the old ones go down then?

or will the new ones go up to more thatn 3000$ and the old ones go down?

i thouhgt that if steve jobs announces some new stuff its hitting the stores soon after it...

thanks and greetz from vienna,

Flippo

I am guessing aroung the same pricing and availability - God only knows. Look at the iPod mini. That things was on backorder for months. They may pre-announce like the iMac G5 last summer. Anyone's guess at this point.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Definitely wait for MWSF keynote on Jan. 11 and see what gets announced. Just a guess but I don't think a PB G5 is coming this time so the update could just be a faster G4 and better graphics. Maybe better pricing, too.

A PB G5 would be a nice surprise, though.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Definitely wait for MWSF keynote on Jan. 11 and see what gets announced. Just a guess but I don't think a PB G5 is coming this time so the update could just be a faster G4 and better graphics. Maybe better pricing, too.

Something tells me there is a reason for the 9-month cycle since the last "speed bump" in April. Announced in January I figure, availability is anyone's guess.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The iMac G5 wasn't exactly pre announced, they had to say something because iMac G4 production had been stopped when iMac G5 was delayed, so they had to say something to explain not having any iMacs to sell.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

definitely wait, PowerBooks usually have the same processors as iMacs - in Jan 2003 1GHz PowerBooks announced, shortly after, 1GHz iMac announced, later that year 1.25GHz in both. 2004 saw PowerBook 1.5GHz and then a lot later 1.8Ghz iMac G5. The next PowerBook will be a 2 GHz G5 (or a 1.8 ), shortly followed by an iMac G5 2.0Ghz (I HOPE!)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flippo

->how long can i work comfortably with the pb15" thats available now? is it already old or can it still compete with other notebooks?

It'll work comfortably for years. The software is not demanding much more power each year, and OS X is getting faster not slower.

Then again I don't think the 15" PB is competetive with PC notebooks anymore. Not at the current prices anyway. This coming from a 15" PB owner.