Developing 64-bit Applications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has a nice article titled "Developing 64-bit Applications" that I think would be of some interest to every Mac fan. However, since it is in the developer section of the Apple web site I think most people would never see it. You can go here to read it:

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/64bit.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Great. Now, what this has to do with Future Hardware?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Move to software PLZ
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Cool article! Makes me want to come up with a reason to program the G5 in ASM.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Software....
  • Reply 5 of 11
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Great. Now, what this has to do with Future Hardware?

I wish there was a Future Software forum for stuff like this.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    We did have a future software forum. I think the activity was one new thread per month...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

We did have a future software forum. I think the activity was one new thread per month...

Well, then the Future Hardware forum could be renamed Future Hardware & Software. It seems to me that most people interested in future hardware are also interested in the future software that goes along with it. It would be nice to find both in a single place, imo.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Naahh... they just keep future software, and software in the same forum. If your concern is Tiger (which is future software) It can go in MAC SO X forum.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It can go in MAC SO X forum.

Can we speculate on Rev. B iPod socks there? Or whether the BoSOX have a chance of repeating next year?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Cool article! Makes me want to come up with a reason to program the G5 in ASM.

How come? The C/C++ compiler will support the 64-bit addressing, so no assembler is needed.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

How come? The C/C++ compiler will support the 64-bit addressing, so no assembler is needed.

Because, you don't truly know a processor until you are directly programming its registers, using its ALU, and padding your jumps with NOPs or other instructions (with MIPS, the processor would read the line after the jump instruction, so the default is to place a NOP there but if you want to be even more efficient you can add a real instruction to be carried out before the jump occurs) to make your program even more efficient.

It's not a matter of whether or not some high-level language will do the job, it's about getting your hands dirty, working with the actual hardware structure, not some abstract concept.

Besides, the only time I've ever written a program that works as advertised on the very first try has been in ASM. I guess I like that because to truly work in ASM you have to spend time flowcharting and designing the program. It's a great way to keep feature-creep from entering the picture.