bluetooth iPod as interface augmentation device or mouse replacement?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what are Apple's plans for a new KIND of mouse. I'm not interested in a bluetooth two button optical mouse with a scroll wheel (third parties have already saturated this market). Apple must be up to something, since accelerated scrolling has been integrated directly into the OS X interface and behaves exactly as the accelerated scrolling of the iPod. I've heard other rumors of a bluetooth iPod available in the next revision.

What other use could there be for such an iPod? You could say syncing with a mobile phone, but what's the point if the data is read-only on the iPod?

How about getting rid of the middle button on the iPod, and making the entire circle a touchpad? It could be used much more efficiently than a conventional laptop touchpad because you get to use your thumb rather than an index finger. Accelerated scrolling would be sweet, much like using one of these:

<a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/96/wo/W66IcOFwG4gp2p0wrMh1PEnsDER/1.3.0.3.27.8.3.23.13.0"; target="_blank">PowerMate</a>

Also, the fact that Apple is integrating Bluetooth directly on the motherboard independent of Airport speaks to Apple's belief in Bluetooth as important for their future business model, whatever that happens to be.

Just wondering...

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: yomofo ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I don't get what ur asking.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I always thought the iPod could make a neat iMovie scrubber -- it's got a nice wheel and some butons and rest flat on a desk; just needs a little software.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I always thought the iPod could make a neat iMovie scrubber -- it's got a nice wheel and some butons and rest flat on a desk; just needs a little software.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, but that's one helluva expensive iMovie scrubber.

just get a PowerMate for $40. besides... it's got that nifty blue light...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    What if the iPod used bluetooth and the wheel/buttons to control the volume and track of iTunes on the computer? That would be cool.