Anyone else think Apple needs a 15in LCD?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Apple has a cracking looking cheap Mac, surely they need a cheap LCD to go with it? Ye, the Mac mini is aimed at people who already have a monitor, but not every one has an old PC monitor they would want to use with it. I'm not the kind of person that needs to have a matching DVD player, VCR and TV, but I would happily pay £200 for a monitor to match my Mac. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Now that Apple has a cracking looking cheap Mac, surely they need a cheap LCD to go with it?

Agreed. I'm really surprised they didn't come out with a matching 17" display.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    A 15" is too small a display. A cheaper 17" would be better.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No. A 15" isn't going to generate that much revenue/profit.

Apple could/should come out with a 17" but that's about it and if they don't I won't be distraught as there are plenty of LCDs out there to choose from.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I think 17" is the size that is need. 15" is almost outdated IMHO.

I agree though, there is a need for another monitor in the Apple product line to give people more affordable choices..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    17" Widescreen. No excuse why they don't have one of these.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Though there is a "need" for Apple to put something out there that has the company logo on it, it is more important that they got the Mini out there. the display can come shortly. People who buy a Mini in the meantime are still on board as a part of the installed base. It remains to be seen whether the profile of the Mini purchaser will be a Windows user who is getting it to go with their iPod and see what all the talk is about along the way or will be an existing customer who just couldn't resist adding more machines to the home or school network at the price.

I think that this represents a much better opportunity to stop the losses in the education market than trying to sell laptops. Whether Apple laptops are "good value" or not, the fact is that laptops are expensive compared to other machines whether they are Wintel or Apple.

Just about everyone has some sort of "I could have done it better" thought about the external design/appearance of the Mini, but it's OK. I have not seen any internal pictures as yet, but the descriptions lead me to believe it is a "parts bin" machine using existing hardware in a new package. Even though the parts appear to come from the laptop "parts bin" it will keep the costs down.

It should be interesting to see what happens in the next few months.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Perhaps Apple will use their retail and online sales presence to guage the demand for both the mini and an inexpensive display before committing. I'm sure they could use the data on number of people that puchase keyboards, mice and, most importantly, 3rd party monitors to estimate the demand and if they can meet it with their won offerings.

I can already hear Jobs MWSF 2006: "The number one request has been for a 17 inch display to match the Mac mini..."