New printer, classic Office software, new headache

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I didn't know how to formulate the right phrase to search for this in the archives, so here's my problem:

Brand new e-mac, with the most recently up-dated Panther (v10.3.7). Brand new Epson c86, driver for OS X installed just fine.

Apparently, my Mac is so new that it can't be started in Classic Mode (where upon i could just follow the steps again, just in OS 9, and my office 2001 programs could print).

How do I get the driver into the the old Chooser?

And, if I need the latest Office progs, will an upgrade from Office 2001 work?

I'm brand new to the board, just upgraded my old Blueberry (OS 8.6!) to this slick mofo. I appreciate any help you may have!

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pcknshvl

I didn't know how to formulate the right phrase to search for this in the archives, so here's my problem:

Brand new e-mac, with the most recently up-dated Panther (v10.3.7). Brand new Epson c86, driver for OS X installed just fine.

Apparently, my Mac is so new that it can't be started in Classic Mode (where upon i could just follow the steps again, just in OS 9, and my office 2001 programs could print).

How do I get the driver into the the old Chooser?

And, if I need the latest Office progs, will an upgrade from Office 2001 work?

I'm brand new to the board, just upgraded my old Blueberry (OS 8.6!) to this slick mofo. I appreciate any help you may have!

Thanks, Tom

Well, first you have to intall the MacOS 9 version of the driver. It may have been installed simultaneously with your MacOS X driver. Launch Classic. You should be able select the driver from the Chooser. If you don't see it in the Chooser, RTFM.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Mr. Me,

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I cannot launch OS 9 (it starts up on its own when I use one of the classic programs, but there's no way to be in a purely OS 9 mode) and then load the driver from there. It is not in the chooser (and was not loaded simultaneously). The driver installation instructions are clear: re-start in OS 9, then follow the same steps as for OS X. My Mac will not start in OS 9.

You see my problem?

And forgive my lack of acromym-ic knowledge, but what is "RTFM"?

Thanks, sorry if I'm a little terse, but this is frusrtating!

Tom
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pcknshvl

Mr. Me,

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I cannot launch OS 9 (it starts up on its own when I use one of the classic programs, but there's no way to be in a purely OS 9 mode) and then load the driver from there. It is not in the chooser (and was not loaded simultaneously). The driver installation instructions are clear: re-start in OS 9, then follow the same steps as for OS X. My Mac will not start in OS 9.

You see my problem?

And forgive my lack of acromym-ic knowledge, but what is "RTFM"?

Thanks, sorry if I'm a little terse, but this is frusrtating!

Tom

I don't see your problem yet. Well, I see at least one problem. The problem is that Epson is giving you some bogus instructions. The Chooser in MacOS 9 and the Printer Setup Utility in MacOS X have virtually nothing in common. You cannot follow the same steps in MacOS 9 that you do in MacOS X.

You may try to install the driver from within Classic. Some MacOS 9 drivers are Classic-compatible. Some are not. A MacOS 9 driver for a new printer model should be Classic-compatible. The installer should be Classic-compatible even if the driver is not. Install the driver and test it.

RTFM means "Read the f'ing manual."