AirPort Express Only Plays iTunes?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Am I right in saying that Airport express will only play iTunes music through my hifi. For example, if I was watching a movie on my mac, it would still come through internal speakers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    AirPort Express only plays music coming from iTunes. You could even have a pair of headphones connected to your Express.

Anything else will come through whatever you have selected in your Sound Preferences.

=)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by continuo

AirPort Express only plays music coming from iTunes. You could even have a pair of headphones connected to your Express.

Anything else will come through whatever you have selected in your Sound Preferences.

=)

True, until this is released.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Colby2000

Looks interesting thanks for the info. It would be nice if Apple could just add a system preferences option so that all sound is transferred through AirPort Express. Why don't they do this - would it be too power hungry for this system to do this or something?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Since Apple already uses Broadcoms technology for Airport I would expect a wireless-media version should be out within 12 months.

The following is a news-clip about Broadcom ability to stream multimedia over a wifi connection:

Among the advances in technology singled out by Broadcom Corp. (BRCM) was the wireless networking technology known as 802.11N. Standards for the faster wireless, or WiFi, technology should be agreed upon by mid year, and chips for products should begin reaching the market by the end of the year, said Broadcom Chairman Henry Samueli.

Samueli said 802.11N will be the first WiFi technology to comfortably handle multimedia content, such as video.

The Mpeg 4 technology for transmitting video across the Internet and into machines also will begin to find its way into products during the second half of 2005. "That's a big thing for the industry," said Samueli. Mpeg 4 will improve network and machine performance because it compressed video into smaller parcels, improving network performance two to three times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Since Apple already uses Broadcoms technology for Airport I would expect a wireless-media version should be out within 12 months.

The following is a news-clip about Broadcom ability to stream multimedia over a wifi connection:

Among the advances in technology singled out by Broadcom Corp. (BRCM) was the wireless networking technology known as 802.11N. Standards for the faster wireless, or WiFi, technology should be agreed upon by mid year, and chips for products should begin reaching the market by the end of the year, said Broadcom Chairman Henry Samueli.

Samueli said 802.11N will be the first WiFi technology to comfortably handle multimedia content, such as video.

The Mpeg 4 technology for transmitting video across the Internet and into machines also will begin to find its way into products during the second half of 2005. "That's a big thing for the industry," said Samueli. Mpeg 4 will improve network and machine performance because it compressed video into smaller parcels, improving network performance two to three times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOOM! airport express extreme!

video audio = bliss!

now all we need is multi room support!!

mmmm
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Colby2000

Well, I meant "Apple-default".

=P