what's the difference between G5 dual 2ghz rev a/b ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Rev A and Rev B G5's, specifically the dual 2 ghz models? I would prefer to buy a used Rev. A for the price, but i don't want to end up regretting my decision!!

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    no offense, but is it just me or did we have a thread exactly like this a couple days ago?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

no offense, but is it just me or did we have a thread exactly like this a couple days ago?

the first time I wrote my mind was already made up that i wanted the rev b, so I needed to know how to identify it. But now I'm questioning whether there is any difference between the rev a and rev b G5 dual 2ghz. Why waste a thousand bucks for the rev b model if there is no difference?

Sorry if my questions are bothering you.

Rick
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick12322

the first time I wrote my mind was already made up that i wanted the rev b, so I needed to know how to identify it. But now I'm questioning whether there is any difference between the rev a and rev b G5 dual 2ghz. Why waste a thousand bucks for the rev b model if there is no difference?

Sorry if my questions are bothering you.

Rick

oh i see....

i've heard the rev b 2.0's are a little quieter, but other than that there's really no reason to get a B rather than an A.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    New 2x2.0s have CPUs built using a different process, which should help them run a little cooler. Superdrive is different (something like 4x to 8x). You can now get Radeon 9600XT instead of plain old 9600(pro?). That's about it. BTW, you can get a stock 2x2.0 for $2100 from the hot deals page on the Apple Online Store, though you can't change the config.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I was in the same boat as you, and went with the Rev A refurb for $1999.

Why?

Because of the video card. The Rev B refurb has the suck-a-licous GeForceFX 5200.

It runs nice and quiet, and trust me when I say that I'm annoyed by loud machines.

Plus, mine came with an 8X DVD-R instead of the original stock 4X DVD-R.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

New 2x2.0s have CPUs built using a different process, which should help them run a little cooler. Superdrive is different (something like 4x to 8x). You can now get Radeon 9600XT instead of plain old 9600(pro?). That's about it. BTW, you can get a stock 2x2.0 for $2100 from the hot deals page on the Apple Online Store, though you can't change the config.

A quiet computer is a top priority for me because I record and mix audio in the same room with the cpu. thanks for the info.

Borborygmi, what is wrong with the GeForceFX 5200?

Rick
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Besides being dog-ass slow? Nothings wrong with it.