Nikon D70 or Pentax ist DS?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking to get a low end digital SLR and am interested in these two models. I really like that the Pentax is a little smaller as I like to carry my camera all the time and its also a little cheaper which is always good, but I'm somewhat reluctant to not get something from the big two manufacturers and have been unable to find a comprehensive review of the ist DS. I don't really have any legacy lenses so that's not an issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I'm a photo-junkie and I currently use a Nikon D2h. I say, get the D70 and don't look back. It seems, unfortunately, that Canon and Nikon are the only major players. Of course, there is Fuji and Kodak but they use the Nikon F-mount.

The D70 has a lot of pro features and will serve you well for many years to come.

You may also want to look at the Canon 20D which is also a superb camera.

• Reply 2 of 47
    Go on to

kenrockwell.com

for some solid advice
  • Reply 3 of 47
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Interesting... Mr. Rockwell has a strong opinion on a camera he's never used:

http://kenrockwell.com/pentax/istDs.htm

Sorry, but this guy is a clown.

I am trying to make the same decision (and added the Digital Rebel to the mix as well). I am leaning toward Pentax as my 35mm SLR works well and I have some good, old screwmount lenses that should work great in the adapter.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's a lot of FUD going about tanks to Canon and Nikon users. On the one hand, they do have a point, in that if it's zooms, stabilized zooms, or reduced FOV "digital" lenses you're after, then they offer the most extensive catalogues.

In truth, the D70 is a very nice camera, and probably the better of the two, but I don't know, having never used the Ist DS. Image-wise, I don't think there's much to distinguish them, but the D70 probably shoots faster/longer.

What Pentax does offer is some pretty great legacy lense support, perhaps even better than Nikon, and some really nice lenses at really good prices, better if you feel comfortable with manual focus. The IstDS is also a nice compact SLR, and with a 40mm pancake lense on it, may be the first truly compact DSLR. Nikons and Canons are huge by comparison.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Is the *ist DS too small for regular use? I held a friend's D70 and it feels like a 'real' camera. It feels nice and solid. I haven't even seen a *ist DS up close.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

Go on to

kenrockwell.com

for some solid advice

Surely, your joking .... right?

That guy must be the biggest Nikon fanboy on the planet. As well, his shitty pictures certainly don't add any credibility to the D70.

(I haven't tried either camera, so don't take my post as a slam against the D70, just don't base your decision on what Ken says.)

Try dpreview.com

Petax preview

D70 full review

• Reply 7 of 47
    Glad I'm not the only person who found this unknown's opinion worthless...
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

this unknown's opinion worthless...

LOL actually, that's not quite right ...

he's VERY WELL known for his worthless opinions!

holy fuck, people that clueless should be thrown in jail for publishing advice on the internet.

and your gonna drop dead after you hear this - he actually teaches

WORKSHOPS!

ROTFL!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Is the *ist DS too small for regular use? I held a friend's D70 and it feels like a 'real' camera. It feels nice and solid. I haven't even seen a *ist DS up close.

Too small? Absolutely not. No such thing exists (yet) in the DSLR world. There have been some truly compact 35mm SLR and rangefinder film cameras (and camera/lense combinations) that nothing in the DSLR world comes close to.

The *ist DS is as close as you get right now, it is by no means too small to hold comfortably.

I had a shoot organized this Saturday. The pro showed up with a Canon 1Ds and 28-70 mounted. The thing was HUGE. Not a worry for him, what with his tripod, light stands, and portable studio system in tow -- it was nearly the smallest part of his kit, but definitely not for everyday use or street photography.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The *ist DS is as close as you get right now, it is by no means too small to hold comfortably.

That's what I was getting at. I was afraid it would be too small to hold securely.

How about the Digital Rebel vs. the *ist DS? (Knowing that there is an adapter ring available to use Pentax screwmount lenses on the Canon)
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I don't know why, but I just don't dig the rebel. I have a film rebel now and its ok and all, but its not love. Size matters for me in that I like to carry my camera every day in my backpack. One never knows what one's going to see on the streets of New York. I'm gonna go to B&H so I can see and feel each camera.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Size isn't a huge issue for me since I am going to carry a pocket P&S for when I need something small on my person.

I always looked at it from the standpoint that if you're carrying an (D)SLR, you're not exactly going to be fully mobile.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Sorry, the D70 is a very small dSLR to me (ok, I'm biased coming from the D2h) and it even has the option of adding a grip, if I'm not mistaken.

Weight really isn't an issue if you want to take good pictures. I use a 28mm prime for light duty and I don't even notice how heavy it is; it's all perspective and getting used to it.

If weight really matters, you shouldn't even be looking at a dSLR IMHO; I'd be looking at a nice P&S like the Canon S500.

As for the Pentax, I'm sure it's a great dSLR but Canon and Nikon are really leaving the others in the dust (Pentax, Olympus, Contax, even Leica...).

\ \ \
  • Reply 14 of 47
    I hope I didn't imply that the D70 is huge, although it is not as small as the istDS or a number of the smaller film based SLR's.

The problem with digital P&S is that they are somewhat limited to bright and/or flash based shooting conditions. They offer wide zoom ranges, but just aren't up to the variety of shooting conditions that a good DSLR can meet.

What's really needed for a compact solution is an EVF backed rangefinder system. Consumers have grown too accustomed to wide zoom ranges, but if they saw what a bright fast lense on a large sensor could do, I think a number of them could be convinced. Contax even has a zoom rangefinder system. It's limited to 2X, but this is a limit imposed by the need for paralax correction. If the system were backed up by an EVF (with autofocus) you could devise a system with live paralax correction and 4-5X zooms. Without the swinging mirror, the lenses would be quite a bit shorter/lighter (and as a consequence, brighter), and in a neat trick, the EVF would provide TTL viewing. The best of both worlds!

It's not all so easy mind, there are a few not insignificant technical hurdles, but imagine the use of a Contax digital rangefinder with a 24-120 equivalent lense on it? Yummm...
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Matsu: I would be first in line to get one but I fear the cost for creating your marvelous idea would be prohibitive for the average consumer.

Quote:

I hope I didn't imply that the D70 is huge, although it is not as small as the istDS or a number of the smaller film based SLR's.

The problem with digital P&S is that they are somewhat limited to bright and/or flash based shooting conditions. They offer wide zoom ranges, but just aren't up to the variety of shooting conditions that a good DSLR can meet.

What's really needed for a compact solution is an EVF backed rangefinder system. Consumers have grown too accustomed to wide zoom ranges, but if they saw what a bright fast lense on a large sensor could do, I think a number of them could be convinced. Contax even has a zoom rangefinder system. It's limited to 2X, but this is a limit imposed by the need for paralax correction. If the system were backed up by an EVF (with autofocus) you could devise a system with live paralax correction and 4-5X zooms. Without the swinging mirror, the lenses would be quite a bit shorter/lighter (and as a consequence, brighter), and in a neat trick, the EVF would provide TTL viewing. The best of both worlds!

It's not all so easy mind, there are a few not insignificant technical hurdles, but imagine the use of a Contax digital rangefinder with a 24-120 equivalent lense on it? Yummm...

8) 8)
  • Reply 16 of 47
    It's a unique approach. Very cool way of turning an entire catalogue of lenses onto the benefits of stabilization. There seems to be some disagreement about how effective the system really is at longer zooms. I wouldn't worry about it at all if I had a stable of fast Minolta lenses. VR/IS doesn't fix everything anyway. Even if it only gives about 1 stop benefit at longer focal lengths, there's plenty of 1-stop faster non-stabilized glass, mount that, and in the end, you're back to 2 stops worth of leeway. Cool, no doubt.

And while MP aren't everything, late this year, we're going to see a barrage of semi-affordable DLSRs with 8-12MP. Sony is making Nikon's 12MP CMOS right now, and just like everyone uses Sony's 6MP CCD, it won't be long before everyone is using Sony's 10-12MP CMOS. Nikon probably has a breif period of exclusivity, but Sony also has other designs. There's even a 10+MP 2/3rds CCD coming for digicams...

We're going to need faster computers!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    FWIW, www.stevesdigicams.com has a very favorable review of the Pentax *ist DS up. Sometimes Steve's blends a little too much press release material into the body of their reviews, but you can get a picture of the machnie relative to others in the market.

Check out the side by side shot with the D70.

The *ist DS is quite noticably smaller: The only DSLR, IMHO, that can be compared to fixed lense 'prosumer' digicams for size and weight. According the the review it has one of the best viewfinders too.

It shoots faster than the ist D, and Canon 300D, but not as fast and deep as the D70. The one big drawback is that the ist DS only accepts Smart Media. That's sorta shitty as nothing beats CF for large capacity/price, although this is becoming less of a concern.

I'll be interested to read about how well it meters and focuses.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Thanks for the heads up. I checked out that review. I think for what I want out of a camera the ist ds suits me better. I'll probably be purchasing one next week. BTW, what are the drawbacks if any of smart media? I don't know much about any of the different types of cards.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    It's pretty even up to 1GB (between all the cards now) if you want to get into 2GB plus cards, CF is better/cheaper, mostly by virtue of being larger.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The *ist DS is quite noticably smaller: The only DSLR, IMHO, that can be compared to fixed lense 'prosumer' digicams for size and weight. According the the review it has one of the best viewfinders too.

What about the Olympus Evolt? It's about as wide as the current crop of D-SLRs but much more squat...