Cube will only see 127GB of 250GB drive???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I thought that I would upgrade my HD from a 60GB to a huge 250GB drive only to find that the cube would only recognize it as a 127GB drive. Did Apple cripple the Cubes ability to usse large drives? Is there a way around this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

I thought that I would upgrade my HD from a 60GB to a huge 250GB drive only to find that the cube would only recognize it as a 127GB drive. Did Apple cripple the Cubes ability to usse large drives? Is there a way around this?

No, it was the standard ATA specifications at the time the cube came out -- that is the ATA controller can only recognize 127 GB max. AFAIK there is no way to work around it since there aren't any free PCI slots in the cube that would allow you to install a ATA-PCI card...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

No, it was the standard ATA specifications at the time the cube came out -- that is the ATA controller can only recognize 127 GB max. AFAIK there is no way to work around it since there aren't any free PCI slots in the cube that would allow you to install a ATA-PCI card...

Thanks I feared that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Is there a way around this?

Maybe if you split it up into two or more partitions.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks I feared that.

There's a simple, good option...

Linky-poo

Put the 250GB drive in it, put the 60GB back in the cube.

• Reply 5 of 7
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

There's a simple, good option...

Linky-poo

Put the 250GB drive in it, put the 60GB back in the cube.

Thanks that is what I was thinking, I have two of them , but now that I think about it the Cube works soooo much better with the high performance drive in it that I think I'll keep it, and switch them when Tiger arrives.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Just partition it into partitions smaller than 127Gb, it works fine. My Cube had a 160Gb drive in it and it was fine (till it blew up )
  • Reply 7 of 7
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    I hear this driver works... and is not too expensive.

http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml