designating bandwidth for computers on lan

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know if I could set up my dual G4 in a way to be infront of my airpor extreme in order to limit each computer on my lan to have a max ammount of bandwidth they can use? The reason for this is that I run an FTP and HPPT server for my website on teh dual G4. I also have a dual G5 for work and I upload rather large files through ftp, and a few pcs all on the lan. On my 8 Mb cable line I want to maybe set 5Mb for the ftp and http server (dual G4) and the rest for the otehr computers.

Is this posible?

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Maybe this would work: http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370

Not sure exactly how this would work, though I wish I would have seen this before I purchased my 5 port gigabit switch. But all my computers are running wirelessly to access the web etc.. So I was currious if the mac (G4) could be at the front of the line even before the airport extreme and would be able to somehow designate ip's or mac addresses to a percent of the max bandwidth they can access. I thought when I had os 10.2 server I could do this. Now I am just running the 10.3 client so I am not sure if thats still possible?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If you're willing to learn a little UNIX, you can do this with a cheap PC.

1) Get yourself a 486 or Pentium 1 from a dumpster or attic and install OpenBSD or FreeBSD on it (I prefer OpenBSD).

2) Turn on the PF packet filter

3) Configure ALTQ to allocate bandwidth based on IP address

Seriously, PF is an awesome firewall that can do everything but wash your skivvies.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Borborygmi

If you're willing to learn a little UNIX, you can do this with a cheap PC.

1) Get yourself a 486 or Pentium 1 from a dumpster or attic and install OpenBSD or FreeBSD on it (I prefer OpenBSD).

2) Turn on the PF packet filter

3) Configure ALTQ to allocate bandwidth based on IP address

Seriously, PF is an awesome firewall that can do everything but wash your skivvies.

could i not just do that on the mac then seeing how os x is based on unix? I have taken a few unix courses in the past so its not that big a deal. Just wondering if i could do it in the os x shell?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Unfortunately, no. The PF firewall is integrated into the OpenBSD and FreeBSD kernels (I'm 99% sure). Since Mac OS X uses a hybrid Mach/FreeBSD kernel, PF isn't available.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks

good suggestion but i was just looking to use up what i had in the home office instead of adding another machine. Was just currious if mac os x server could do it.. I used to have it 10.2 but i dont anymore and i dont remember if it can do that. If that is the case then prob solved i guess ill just go on ebay and purchase it.