iTMS and song rights question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am sorry to bother with this post, but I spent the last hour or so trying to find a clear cut response on the apple site and searching on the boards here.

If I buy songs on iTMS can i transfer them over to another computer? For example, I have a PC right now, but if apple ever comes out with a new powerbook i'm going to be picking one up and I will want to transfer these songs over to it.

Also, if I get a mac mini to tide me over, can I put the songs legally on the mac mini and the powerbook?

Thanks,

Again sorry I am sure this has been answered or is staring me right in the face I just am not seeing it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The FairPlay DRM license that is part of the iTMS song lets you keep the song on as many as 5 computers. Each time you play an iTMS song for the first time on a particular computer, you have to authorize the computer to allow it to play the song. That is, you enter your iTMS account name and password on the machine. You have to de-authorize the computers and/or iPod if you ever get rid of the device, sell it, etc. at least if you want one of your allowed authorizations back. Here is the pertinent article on the Apple site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

The way the iPod works is that it simply synchronizes with the iTunes music database on your computer, i.e., it reflects what's on your computer. So you will have your iTMS songs on both your iPod and your Powerbook. Only one computer can sync with your iPod at a time though.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The FairPlay DRM license that is part of the iTMS song lets you keep the song on as many as 5 computers. Each time you play an iTMS song for the first time on a particular computer, you have to authorize the computer to allow it to play the song. That is, you enter your iTMS account name and password on the machine. You have to de-authorize the computers and/or iPod if you ever get rid of the device, sell it, etc. at least if you want one of your allowed authorizations back. Here is the pertinent article on the Apple site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

The way the iPod works is that it simply synchronizes with the iTunes music database on your computer, i.e., it reflects what's on your computer. So you will have your iTMS songs on both your iPod and your Powerbook. Only one computer can sync with your iPod at a time though.

jsut to add:

if you have, say, 100 purchased songs, you only have to play one and authorize it to authorize the other 99 songs purchased by that iTMS account. so dont think you'll be spending lots of time doing that.