powerbook 17 shocking me

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well... my original apple warranty expired last May and I didn't get AppleCare

Now because of a puppy, and then a cat my right arrow key is raised out and my left arrow is broken off...

Right above my latch release my case is buckling out a little. As well as other issues around the edge of the case...

I have blue specks, indents where my hands rest from my sweat eating through the aluminum? It looks bad but I can't even believe it happened... started happening when I first got it.

Now... I swear my computer is shocking me, when I touch the top case near the speakers, even above the superdrive. I can feel it if I push my finger on the spots where my hands rest, where the aluminum is gone, or on the speaker grills. I can't feel it as much when just resting my palm. Also the front edge where the plastic meets the metal must have a slight gap cause it pinches my arms all the time now.

I paid $3,300 for this thing in May 2003 and I'm not really ready to buy another!

Has anyone else experienced the same? I think my next laptop will be a 15', I think this computers size has weakened it some.

Alec

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That is bizzare! I have a 12inch PB of the same vintage that I just gave my wife that is still in perfect condition. Several hundred thousand miles of travel and heavy daily use later. Does your body produce hydrocloric acid when you sweat?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I got mine in Feb 03. I have not had any problems with mine. My wife has a newer model and her problems are because she wears a watch and has bounced her's several times. As far as the shock, does it happen only when it is plugged in? It sounds like your pb has seen a little wear and tear and the most likely place for a ground or short is by the power connector. If you plan on keeping the machine awhile longer it might be worth it to have it serviced.

Oh, and you might want to ensure that the dog and cat clip their nails and wash before using your machine.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    A couple predictions:

1. I am going to bet that it only shocks you while charging.

2. Further, I'm going to bet that you're not using the charger with the grounding plug, but rather the two-prong one.[

If these predictions are right, try switching to the grounded charger. I remember people having issues with this before with an ungrounded charger.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Does your body produce hydrocloric acid when you sweat?

you gotta love people here!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by AlecR

I paid $3,300 for this thing in May 2003 and I'm not really ready to buy another!

after spending $3300 the applecare was too much to add? sorry i know that doesnt help your situation. my '1' key broke off a while back but it was under applecare and was promptly fixed. i'm sure some of the schockage right now is just due to static, being winter and all. mine is shocking me a lot too.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    Thanks for the replies guys...

As far as the apple car being too much to afford... at the time yes..... when I bought my laptop I spent 25 cents shy of $4,000.00 that day at the apple store. Probably the most cash I have spent in a day, especially when I was 21. Then I thought about getting it before my apple warranty expired and just figured I wouldn't need it. lol

I always have it plugged in btw... its in my office, but as far as the two prong idea... I actually have it plugged into a powerstrip (3 prong) but then its plugged into the outlet with a 3-2 prong adapter... this is an old house and none of the plugs are grounded. I never thought that would cause the machine to shock me, but I am going to have to do a test later...

The problem with the pets is I always leave my laptop open to leave my messenger and e-mail open. I probably should close it and turn it off more often!

As far as my sweat... I have no idea...lol... I can't believe I am the only one that has this problem! Maybe something is wrong with me?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AlecR

I always have it plugged in btw... its in my office, but as far as the two prong idea... I actually have it plugged into a powerstrip (3 prong) but then its plugged into the outlet with a 3-2 prong adapter... this is an old house and none of the plugs are grounded. I never thought that would cause the machine to shock me, but I am going to have to do a test later...

It's the downside of metal cases. My PowerBook Ti400 shocks me whenever it is plugged into a outlet without grounding. No problem in newer buildings with modern power lines.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    Luckily its not shocking me today... I wish I could plug it into a grounded outlet but I don't feel like re-wiring the house