Moved to CH: Who will buy new iMac (PM vs. iMac)?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Prices now:

iMac with 17-inch flat panel TFT display now $1999

1GHz PowerMac + 17" Apple Display $2198

Who will buy new 17" iMac, if price difference will be small? Buying a PowerMac you will get better value for your money now.

Apple has to drop iMac prices quite a lot.

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I've thought about buying an iMac for my first Mac, but I'm using it for everyday stuff plus graphic design and rendering, and I have a tendancy to buy the best upfront, so I've decided on the Powermac Dual 1.25 with the 20" Cinema Display. Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of saving to do first.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stratosfear:

<strong>Who will buy <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/"; target="_blank">new 17" iMac</a>, if price difference will be small? Buying a PowerMac you will get better value for your money now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A lot of people will buy the new 17" iMac, because the price difference will be substantial. As you state yourself, a 1Ghz PowerMac plus 17" ASD will cost you $2200. If Think Secret's predictions are true, you'll be able to get an iMac 17" for $400 less. Not only will you save money, you will get a gorgeous widescreen display and a built-in SuperDrive, neither of which you get with the bottom-end PowerBook/ASD combo.

The 17" ASD has 1280x1024 = 1,310,720 total pixels. The current 17" iMac has 1440-by-900-pixel = 1,296,000 pixel resolution. So the difference in resolution is completely marginal. If you don't need expandability, and don't want to keep your LCD when you upgrade, the iMac is, and will remain, a better deal than the low-end PowerMac.

Escher

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moving to current hardware.