About to buy a G5 imac. But update soon?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by tismfu

Dude, this is AppleInsider -- Outsider is the appropriate forum for your unsolicited political commentary.

>Hugs<

Dude, it's Bush they're talking about. Bush bashing belongs everywhere.

• Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by mickermack08

What do you well informed mac supporters think the chances of an iMac update before the end of february? Just curious my estimated waiting time.

None

I reckon it will be at least late March/April before they get updated.

Look to the PowerMacs getting updated first, then the iMacs.

How good are you at waiting? You might want to stay away from booze for a while...
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Dude, it's Bush they're talking about. Bush bashing belongs everywhere.

Oops, my bad. For some reason I thought it was hippie liberal douche bashing that belonged everywhere.

• Reply 44 of 50
    I think you ladies need to take your childish, and also sad, political satire back to college.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    I´m about to get an iMac, too. Here are my reasons I´ll buy him in a few days:

-) Top of the Line is now at 1,8 Ghz - same as Low End Powermac (though the PM has 2 CPUs). I agrre with many folks here, I highly doubt that Apple would make a "faster" iMac than the Low End PM.

-) Even if therewere tobe a speedbumb, I firmly believe that it would be a 2Ghz Model, and I won´t wait about 5 months (New PM, than new iMac) for 200Mz more, and even if they upgrade the Video card... I have a Playstation 2 to play, so...

-) Final Reason: I´m such a Apple-Whore, I just have to.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    hi there

i just ordered my Imac 17"

and some persons told me to check at viewing angles of it

and according to the site it's only 120° horiz. and 90° vert.

it's very narrow

did i make a mistake by ordering it ? (everyone would say, take the 20")
  • Reply 47 of 50
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

hi there

it's very narrow

i thought everybody has said to take the 20"

the 20"iMacG5's viewing angle is really astonishing wide.

i saw the 17"iMacG5 in a store and it's very cute though. kind of mini me 20".

is it a mistake to order the 17"iMacG5? hell no. i needed the screensize so i ordered the 20". i didn't order it for the viewing angle.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

hi there

it's very narrow

Unless you're going to use it as a family TV and watch DVDs from some strange angle, then its not a problem in reality. It's a lovely screen for the money.

I rarely notice any horiz viewing changes in normal use. Vertical is different though - stand up and you notice white and grey shifts by just being about a foot higher looking down on the screen. I don't notice any just using it normally though. And it's not like it's difficult to swivel the screen to the right angle.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Why would the viewing angle be somewhat skewed on the 17" imac? I have noticed this at the stores. What do you guys think of the quality of the imac monitor?

There is discussion about future updates to the PM and imacs this coming year. How certain are you that this is going to happen? I've only been following since last summer. I just hope they set consumers up with a more respectable video card. The standard 64mb NVIDIA is a laugher.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

Why would the viewing angle be somewhat skewed on the 17" imac? I have noticed this at the stores. What do you guys think of the quality of the imac monitor?

The 17" has a viewing angle of 120deg horiz and 90vert which is average to good for a widescreen LCD.

The 20" has an angle of 170deg in both directions which is very good. Higher than the better Sony monitors.

Picking some random figures from 17" monitors varying in price between 150 - 400 UK £. in ascending price order

Dabs Value (LG panel) - 70h/60v

LG L1715S - 140h/120v

Samsung SM710V - 150h/120v

Acer AL1713M - 160h/130v

Ilyama ProLite E431S-B - 140h/120v

NEC 1760NX - 160h/160v

You've also got to watch some of those claims as the viewing angles are normally claimed for black/white text, not colour.

So, if you stand there and compare the iMac 17 with the 20, you'll notice a difference, especially vertically but you're comparing a monitor that's good to one that's very good. In practice, unless you're viewing from some weird angle, you'll find it just fine. If you can afford a 20" though....