Printer Networking with PC ina dorm!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey there, hope someone can help - here's the story:

My roommate in the dorm is trying to print to my printer. He's running Windows XP SP2, and I'm running OS X 10.3.7, but I have tried everything and we can not get his computer to see mine on the network. I go to My Prefs and turn my firewall off, then I select Personal Web Sharing, Printer sharing and Windows sharing to turn them on. He goes into XP to try and find a connected network printer and he can't see me. He also can't see my computer on the network. What am I doing wrong??? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Try this.

Hook your friends computer up to the printer directly and have him install any printer software so his computer recognizes the printer. Then go to Prefs and check Windows Sharing and Printer Sharing. Restart both computers. Then on his computer go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, Add a Printer, A Network Printer, Browse for printer. Select it from list. If it does not appear, go back and then try "Connect to this printer" and on your Mac go back to Prefs and Windows sharing and you will see "Windows users can access your computer at..." type that into his PC. I'm not sure if that will work but it is worth a shot.