Anyone following NCAA recruiting?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If we don't get Perrilloux we don't get Rouse. Past that, I don't really see any reason to worry about who will be getting him the ball. You don't need robo-Jesus to throw footballs to people in NCAA football, this isn't the NFL. If Heupel can pull in a national championship I'm not going to freak out about potentially losing Mr. Super 5-Star Bluechip.

I've only seen video of our other QB commit Colt McCoy but I wouldn't be so quick to see him dismissed. He's got good touch and he can move around in the pocket.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Also, Scoreboard.

Yeah you got me there. It will be worth it though if we can get a new DC. Herrmann does well against certain types of teams, I formation smashmouth etc but he cant stop a mobile QB to save his life. I mean Young is a very talented runner but he didnt come close to 192 on any other team this year. Not just Young too who is doing that to Michigan, when the Drew Stantons and Troy Smiths of the world assrape you then you know you have problems.

Quote:

If Heupel can pull in a national championship I'm not going to freak out about potentially losing Mr. Super 5-Star Bluechip.

Not sure I agree with that. Oklahoma won with Heupel because of their defense. Granted they tossed 63 on Texas that year but aside from that and the first KSU game that team won most of its games with defense. The Nebraska, second KSU and FSU wins were all due to a dominating defense. That formula works fine and other teams, OSU 02, LSU 03, MI 97, AL 92 etc have used it to win National Championships as well. But Texas hasn't really shown yet that they can put together that type of smothering D. If they do, great, if not, then they'll need to score some points.

In the short term it doesnt matter anyway how good Perriloux or McCoy is as Young still has two years left. Rouse would be much more useful to UT for 05 and 06. Texas will still be able to score points but if they wanna beat the best teams then Young will have to become a better passer and some nicer wideouts would undoubtedly help with that.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Oklahoma won with Heupel because of their defense.

That is exactly how I would expect Texas to win one. Strong defense and a lot of close games.

Give me a QB who can get the ball to the WRs most of the time and doesn't turn it over with a great defense. That's the team I'd try and build.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    heupel was a perfect fit for the type of system that leach brought to OU. he may not have had the strongest arm, but he was smart, accurate, didn't make many mental mistakes, and new how to drive the bus in traffic.

my main knock against young is in his throwing mechanics. as long as he's tossing that goofy side arm shit, he will never be a consistent passing threat week to week. for a guy that is as tall as he is, he handicaps himself with that type of delivery. he might as well be standing 5' 11" with that kind of motion. oh yeah, and did i mention greg davis?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

That is exactly how I would expect Texas to win one. Strong defense and a lot of close games.

Give me a QB who can get the ball to the WRs most of the time and doesn't turn it over with a great defense. That's the team I'd try and build.

any ideas on who is going to replace robinson?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    We hired Gene Chizik from Auburn.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

We hired Gene Chizik from Auburn.

good pick up.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

Seems reasonable enough but I dont think that Ive really seen anything like that out of Texas on defense under Brown. The 2001 defense was the closest I guess. But maybe your new guy from Auburn will help the horns bring the noise.

I still think in general the best or at least most common formula for a MNC is combo of goodD goodO as this is easier to achieve than having the suffocating D, OK mistake free O formula. I'm not sure that Young is the guy who best fits that system either. A 1:23 INT to Attempt ratio is on the high side and IIRC VY had a decent number of fumbles as well this season. He'll need to cut down on those turnovers. However, YOung's only a sophomore so there is still hope that he will improve. But looking at his mechanics and QB development and considering Applewhite and Simms and Mock I would say that Davis is probably even more of an albatross for UT as a QB coach than as an OC.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    VY turns the ball over more than a traditional QB, but that's not really surprising given the fact that he spends a lot of time running around the field like a madman. We will have to see how that changes with a new running back. Hopefully there isn't much drop off and if there is I hope he gets more in sync with the WR. We'll have to see.

After watching Perrilloux at the all-star game I have to say that his foot-speed was overrated. He looks like a guy who can avoid being sacked moving side to side but I don't see electrifying 65-yard TD runs in his future. Great arm, though, and apparently a good team leader type so hooray.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    hmurch:

Looks like Jonathan Stewart is going to stick with Oregon. Sorry.

Here is a picture of him!

• Reply 31 of 43
    we landed granger! come on reggie smith.

rivals has us as the number 1 recruiting class for the time being. my guess is that usc, tennessee, miami, and fsu will finish strong as usual to move ahead. regardless how it ultimately shakes out, this could be one of our best classes under stoops.

how's everyone else doing?
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Congrat$ on getting Granger! I hear it was a tough deci$ion between OU and Tenne$$ee.

He cited OU's history of putting DTs in the NFL, but I can't think of any from the recent past not named Tommie. But hey, my mind is clogged with all the Longhorn DTs dominating the league.

I'm only rilin' ya! Hell of a class you've got going. That big crimson train keeps on rollin'!

We here in Austin are hoping for some good news from the media whores known as Perrilloux, Bennett and Rouse. It looks good for us. We'll see how it works out.

We just landed some kid whose name I can't pronounce, hits like Grandmama from those old Reebok commercials. Tear you up.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    No Bennett for you. Sorry hoss. I still think Perriloux to LSU and Rouse to FSU in the end but we shall see. It will all be over tomorrow though. Well, unless it isn't. UT fans can thank Rouse for that. I dunno how much all of this stuff matters in the big picture anyway. Talent is important of course but 1, 2 or 3 players wont change the fact that Texas for example has enough talent that they should win 8 games no matter what and then after that some of what happens just has to do with randomness and turnovers and plays at a moment in time and recruiting talent has some relationship to that but some of it is also just happenstance.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    What a difference a week makes.

From a likely 3-0 to a guaranteed 0-3.

Perrilloux has been recruiting for LSU for months telling the Texas coaches he's coming to UT.

Bennett wasn't received too enthusiastically by UT basketball coach Rick Barnes and his dad killed his plan to go to LSU with Perrilloux.

Rouse has character issues and Mack refused to give him an official visit even though Rouse said he would delay signing to set up a Texas visit.

This year was a wild ride. I'm happy with what we ended up with. I would've liked Bennett, but I won't lose a wink of sleep over Perrilloux and Rouse.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    perrilloux was a train wreck waiting to happen. what a cock. he & lester deserve each other.

edit: typo
  • Reply 36 of 43
    we got reggie! very nice. looks like we may have lost lb antonio clay to clemson. oh well, our linebacker class is still ridiculously talented with reynolds, lofton, and robinson. me happy.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    I am also pleased with the way our class rounded out.

We obviously struck out on the QB front, but Vince has two remaining years of eligibility. I think with a solid improvement in his passing game he's a sure fire 1st rounder after next year, but hopefully I'm wrong about that and his trend of not going down with injury keeps up.

Got some really good ones on defense, and that's what wins championships.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    here's our class:

**** C.J. AhYou DT (JC)

*** Ben Barresi OL

*** Billy Blackard DT

*** Jon Cooper OL

** Aaron Cummings TE

*** Matt Clapp FB

**** Keenan Clayton S

**** Brody Eldridge DE

**** Auston English DE

***** DeMarcus Granger DT

**** Eric Huggins WR

** Juaquin Iglesias WR

*** Brian Jackson S

**** Manuel Johnson WR

*** Brandon Keith OT (JC)

**** Malcolm Kelly WR

**** Curtis Lofton LB

*** Cordero Moore DT

**** Allen Patrick S (JC)

***** Ryan Reynolds LB

*** Duke Robinson OL

**** Lamont Robinson LB

**** Brian Simmons DT

***** Reggie Smith S

*** Jesse White OL
  • Reply 39 of 43
    looks like we stole this one from lsu and michigan. sweet.

**** Nic Harris LB
  • Reply 40 of 43
    26? Jesus Christ.

We got 15.

**** - Quan Cosby WR/RB/DB/KR/PR

**** - Roy Miller DT

**** - Aaron Lewis DE

**** - Chris Brown LB/DE

**** - Jamaal Charles RB

**** - Brandon Duncan LB

**** - Ishie Oduegwu S

**** - Jermichael Finley TE

**** - Henry Melton RB/DE

*** - Colt McCoy QB

*** - Chris Hall OL

*** - Charlie Tanner OL

*** - Jerrell Wilkerson RB/KR/PR

*** - Roddrick Muckelroy

*** - Michael Houston

A pretty damned good class after all. We were all, of course, focused on the big out-of-state guys but looking back over the list we did really well.

Colt McCoy dominated weak competition, so he's obviously a big question mark at QB. But with that name how do you pass him up? Colt McCoy... you can't lose with that name.