Apple Unveils Faster, More Affordable PowerBooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 197
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Now check the Powerbook 17"

Weight: 4.6 pounds

That is the 12" powerbook, the 17" powerbook is 6.9 lbs.
  • Reply 42 of 197
    One word for these new updates: Yawn. The G4 isn't even in the same league as Dothan-based sonoma laptops on 533MHz buses running at 2GHz+. We're talking 1.4-2x the performance of the G4, per clock. This puts Apple's fastest $2500 1.67GHz G4 PBs in the same league as 1.3Ghz Dothan-based "el-cheapo" Celerons and even then lacking in system bus intensive tasks.

I noticed Apple is now up to 10x the FSB. Perhaps Intel should send out a press release giving Apple the "Most underpowered laptop in the industry award." But then again, Apple is hardly relevant in the computer secter these days.
  • Reply 43 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

But the money saved would need to be spent on new software to replace iMovie and FinalCut Express, as he clearly points out.

And then you're still running windows, so you're more power is lost as the CPU gets clogged with spyware (or with virus and spyware removal tools running non-stop). And then all your productivity is lost just trying to remember how windows works when. [One of my biggest pet peeves is that certain actions in Windows work differently depending on specific states or criteria. For example, double-clicking a CD may or may not open the CD, or it might launch an installer, or it might launch a slide show or WMP. Another irritating example. Double-clicking a network connection will show the status, if its enabled. But if its disabled, it'll enable it. And sometimes, you'll go right to the properties screen. Do you know how hard it is to help a family member through some computer problem over the phone when you're not sure how anything is going to display or work each time they do a task? OK, enough venting, get the impression I spent way too much time on the phone last night trying to get networking working again?]

spyware or viruses are not an issue. Antivirus and antispyware software do not need to run 24/7. They only run either when I schedule them to or when I manually tell them to. So it's not even an issue.

As far as your other issues, well, I have to wonder if you've ever used windows? double clicking network connections always opens a property dialog. Enable or disabled. I've never known it to do otherwise.

Double clicking a CD will open windows explorer so you can browse the contents. To actually launch an app from it you have to double click the appropriate icon within the CD folder. It's the same every time.
  • Reply 44 of 197
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Perhaps Intel should send out a press release giving Apple the "Most underpowered laptop in the industry award." But then again, Apple is hardly relevant in the computer secter these days.

Oh give me a break. I'm not thrilled with these updates either but come on, get a grip.
  • Reply 45 of 197
    Quote:

One word for these new updates: Yawn. The G4 isn't even in the same league as Dothan-based sonoma laptops on 533MHz buses. We're talking 1.4-2x the performance of the G4, per clock.

I noticed Apple is now up to 10x the FSB. Perhaps Intel should send out a press release giving Apple the "Most underpowered laptop in the industry award." But then again, Apple is hardly relevant in the computer secter these days.

That, at least, is a legitimate gripe. Adding a super-powered 2ghz G5, but keeping the FSB the same wouldn't help. However, I'm still better off with the Apple interface--because my laptop really isn't meant to be a speed demon. And no matter how fast you're computer is, it still won't help you spell sector correctly.
  • Reply 46 of 197
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Dell laptops suck. That Inspiron 9200 starts at 7.7lbs before you add in battery and optical drive. That's damn near a 9lb laptop.

Now check the Powerbook 17"

Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (8)

You've quoted the weight for the 12" PB. The 17" is 6.9 lbs (3.1 kg) -- still counting battery and optical drive, so still better than the Dell weight-wise, just not as good as your accidental comparision to the 12" makes it sound.
  • Reply 47 of 197
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They were stupid about FireWire 1 (not including it on iMacs.) Now they are being stupid with FireWire 800 (FW 2). It's a POWERBook. It should have FW800. That is one thing that sticks out feature-wise in my mind.
  • Reply 48 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by archer75

Double clicking a CD will open windows explorer so you can browse the contents. To actually launch an app from it you have to double click the appropriate icon within the CD folder. It's the same every time.

OT Gripe:

Uh, have you ever run windows? I make CD's for windows, and I'm always asked to put an autorun file on them. This means if you double-click the CD, it will run whatever program I've set it to. Usually, as was pointed out, an installer or a multimedia presentation. You have to choose explore to see the CD. Unless maybe you are on a laptop that has autorun disabled. Than I have to explain to the client how to enable it--so they can see it work--and then disable it again so their battery doesn't die.

Autorun is one my least favorite "features" of windows--and represents the type of thinking that makes virus writing so easy and inviting on Windows.

Back On Topic:

If someone is more familiar with Windows, I wouldn't suggest abandoning the platform just to take advantage of these PowerBook updates. But neither are they bad enough to drive a Mac user to the Windows camp.

As a matter of fact, my ire is probably more provoked by the people that are comparing this upgrade to a theoretical G5 Powerbook that am at comparison's to existing PC notebooks. But I think the decision is more complicate that pure numbers.
  • Reply 49 of 197
    The advantage of Dothan-based sonoma PC latops over these "Power"Books.

* 2MB L2 cache versus 512 KB L2 cache

* 2.13 GHz versus 1.67 GHz with 1.4-2x better performance than the G4, per clock. 90nm versus 130 nm technology.

* Advanced realtime clock/voltage throlling versus very primitive step-down throlling on the G4 (it's so pathetic, people have to say "set CPU performance to max in the ES control panel" when doing benchmarks)

* 533 MHz system bus (effective) versus 167 MHz

* DDR2-5400 memory versus un-utilized DDR2700 memory

* PCI Express graphics versus AGP graphics (Important for CoreImage/CoreVideo/DirectX9 shader applications, ie. using the GPU as a coprocessor)

* Express card slots versus regular PCMCIA cardbus slots (slow!!!)

I'm really amazed Apple even bothered updating the PowerBooks. They are beyond embarrassing.
  • Reply 50 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

OT Gripe:

Uh, have you ever run windows? I make CD's for windows, and I'm always asked to put an autorun file on them. This means if you double-click the CD, it will run whatever program I've set it to. Usually, as was pointed out, an installer or a multimedia presentation. You have to choose explore to see the CD. Unless maybe you are on a laptop that has autorun disabled. Than I have to explain to the client how to enable it--so they can see it work--and then disable it again so their battery doesn't die.

I'm doing it now. Double clicking the cd opens an explorer window. It does not launch it.

INSERTING the CD that has autorun will cause it to launch automatically. But if it's already inserted double clicking on the cd does only lets you browse the contents.
  • Reply 51 of 197
    Quote:

The advantage of Dothan-based sonoma PC latops over these "Power"Books.

* 2MB L2 cache versus 512 KB L2 cache

* 2.13 GHz versus 1.67 GHz with 1.4-2x better performance than the G4, per clock. 90nm versus 130 nm technology.

* Advanced realtime clock/voltage throlling versus very primitive step-down throlling on the G4 (it's so pathetic to see people having to say "set CPU performance to max in the ES control panel" when doing benchmarks)

* 533 MHz system bus (effective) versus 167 MHz

* DDR2-5400 memory versus un-utilized DDR2700 memory

* PCI Express graphics versus AGP graphics (Important for CoreImage/CoreVideo/DirectX9 shader applications, ie. using the GPU as a coprocessor)

* Express card slots versus regular PCMCIA cardbus slots (slow!!!)

I'm really amazed Apple even bothered updating the PowerBooks. They are beyond embarassing.

And all of this would help me run Powerpoint presentations better exactly how? Oh, I see, it would speed up my email. No, that's not right either. So the new chip lets me run iMovie on a PC? Nope, it doesn't do that either...

As I say, these wouldn't make me switch platforms. But there is nothing, and I mean nothing, in Dothan that makes Windows any more attractive to me either. Nothing that would make me more money or make me more productive, so I'll stick with the Mac. When I show a nice Keynote presentation to my customers, they don't seem put off by my "embarrassing" Mac.
  • Reply 52 of 197
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chunglee

why would apple wait to roll out this update? considering their powerbook sales sucked last quarter, why wouldn't they introduce these models in early novemeber for example for the holiday season?

Judging from CPU clock speeds, it seems that the new Powerbook use the 7447B processor. This processor became available only very recently (after mid-December).
  • Reply 53 of 197
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

I'm really amazed Apple even bothered updating the PowerBooks. They are beyond embarassing.

Evidently not. You're here talking about the new Powerbooks. If they were "that" embarrassing you wouldn't waste your breath.

Shetline:

Thanks for catching that error. 6.9lbs isn't bad. I grow so weary of comparing the crap that is Wintel with Apple. Until Apple has spyware/adware and viri at every stop I will not consider Mac vs PC to be (no pun) Apple's to Apple's comparison.

Saving money sometimes isn't as important as saving time. PCs cost too damn much effort when it comes to maintaining.
  • Reply 54 of 197
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

spyware or viruses are not an issue. Antivirus and antispyware software do not need to run 24/7. They only run either when I schedule them to or when I manually tell them to. So it's not even an issue.

As far as your other issues, well, I have to wonder if you've ever used windows? double clicking network connections always opens a property dialog. Enable or disabled. I've never known it to do otherwise.

Actually you sound like someone who doesn't use windows much. I've used Windows WAY too much. Double-clicking a CD will do an AutoRun on it, if its got an AutoRun file on it. So sometimes double-clicking it will launch the installer. Sometimes it just opens up (and other times it just decides to do what auto-run tells it to do, depending on what Windows thinks the stupid CD is). There are ways to disable all of this, but figuring that out, remembering it, and being able to do it again, not part of something I've been able to master (took me long enough to track down startup items in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ Currentversion\\Run (and RunOnce and then check CurrentUser as well).

Now, on the network. Try this. Go to network connections. Right click on it. You'll see that "Properties" is bold, meaning its the default action if you double-click on it. Great. Now click Disable in the menu. And then right-click the icon again. Hey, look, Enable is now the default action. That's the stupidity I have to put up with. If you double-click the icon when its disabled, it enables it, it doesn't show the status window (I just did this, BTW). This is how Windows has worked (or not worked, depending on your point of view) whenever I've played with it lately (maybe its an XP thing?).

And I guess you live in that perfect Windows world where you never get viruses in emails, nor spyware via IE (not a problem, I suppose, if you don't use IE, although other apps install spyware, not just through web pages), so you can just not run a 24/7 scanner of either. But in the real world, not having a virus scanner running on a Windows machine is just asking for trouble.
  • Reply 55 of 197
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

And all of this would help me run Powerpoint presentations better exactly how? Oh, I see, it would speed up my email. No, that's not right either. So the new chip lets me run iMovie on a PC? Nope, it doesn't do that either...

As I say, these wouldn't make me switch platforms. But there is nothing, and I mean nothing, in Dothan that makes Windows any more attractive to me either. Nothing that would make me more money or make me more productive, so I'll stick with the Mac. When I show a nice Keynote presentation to my customers, they don't seem put off by my "embarrassing" Mac.

stop trying to be some sort of voice of reason because you are very far from that.

everything you argue is ridiculous. go buy your iBook for 999 and run powerpoint, send emails, and run iMovie without buying a replacement.

For the other, professionals, who are buying a $2000 and higher laptop they deserve better bang for the buck and more competitive hardware for the performance intensive work that they do.

There is a point of being ridiculously harsh and whiney and there is also a point of being embarrassingly defensive. Unfortunately, both sides are rampant in this thread.

It's a very good update considering the G4 is practically at a dead end. Sure this is a very marketing driven update to try to spur some more sales, but when it comes down to it, you are getting a much better deal today than you were yesterday. So, either accept the updates and get them if you need one, or wait until the G5 is capable of being used in a portable.
  • Reply 56 of 197
    Quote:

I'm doing it now. Double clicking the cd opens an explorer window. It does not launch it.

INSERTING the CD that has autorun will cause it to launch automatically. But if it's already inserted double clicking on the cd does only lets you browse the contents.

Archer, I've shipped several million CDs out to users. On a desktop machine in standard configuration--double clicking opens the autorun. If you right click, it will have OPEN in bold--which runs the autorun--and an explore option beneath it. Trust me, I shipped 84 separate products in December alone for www.makaucorp.com, and I know what our #1 support call is. It's autorun. Followed closely by MediaPlayer 8 to 9/10 issues.

Now, it's complicated because the options can be changed. Because of the battery drain in laptops, many ship with the standard settings changed. Which is exactly what the first poster was complaining about. Windows interface is, in many small ways, not consistent from machine to machine and context to context. This is hellish for support and development, even if it works well for you personally.
  • Reply 57 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

They were stupid about FireWire 1 (not including it on iMacs.) Now they are being stupid with FireWire 800 (FW 2). It's a POWERBook. It should have FW800. That is one thing that sticks out feature-wise in my mind.

Why?

Do you carry a RAID array around with you?
  • Reply 58 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

stop trying to be some sort of voice of reason because you are very far from that.

everything you argue is ridiculous. go buy your iBook for 999 and run powerpoint, send emails, and run iMovie without buying a replacement.

For the other, professionals, who are buying a $2000 and higher laptop they deserve better bang for the buck and more competitive hardware for the performance intensive work that they do.

There is a point of being ridiculously harsh and whiney and there is also a point of being embarrassingly defensive. Unfortunately, both sides are rampant in this thread.

It's a very good update considering the G4 is practically at a dead end. Sure this is a very marketing driven update to try to spur some more sales, but when it comes down to it, you are getting a much better deal today than you were yesterday. So, either accept the updates and get them if you need one, or wait until the G5 is capable of being used in a portable.

Okay, I apologize for discussing things on a discussion board. I wasn't saying my needs were everyones, but that a discussion should start with need, not numbers. Don't know what I said to piss you off so bad, but I appologize.

What's odd is that we seem to mostly agree. Good update, but nothing to write home about. But also not painfully embarrassing.
  • Reply 59 of 197
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Actually you sound like someone who doesn't use windows much. I've used Windows WAY too much. Double-clicking a CD will do an AutoRun on it, if its got an AutoRun file on it. So sometimes double-clicking it will launch the installer. Sometimes it just opens up (and other times it just decides to do what auto-run tells it to do, depending on what Windows thinks the stupid CD is). There are ways to disable all of this, but figuring that out, remembering it, and being able to do it again, not part of something I've been able to master (took me long enough to track down startup items in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ Currentversion\\Run (and RunOnce and then check CurrentUser as well).

Now, on the network. Try this. Go to network connections. Right click on it. You'll see that "Properties" is bold, meaning its the default action if you double-click on it. Great. Now click Disable in the menu. And then right-click the icon again. Hey, look, Enable is now the default action. That's the stupidity I have to put up with. If you double-click the icon when its disabled, it enables it, it doesn't show the status window (I just did this, BTW). This is how Windows has worked (or not worked, depending on your point of view) whenever I've played with it lately (maybe its an XP thing?).

And I guess you live in that perfect Windows world where you never get viruses in emails, nor spyware via IE (not a problem, I suppose, if you don't use IE, although other apps install spyware, not just through web pages), so you can just not run a 24/7 scanner of either. But in the real world, not having a virus scanner running on a Windows machine is just asking for trouble.

Like I said, both my CD's and my network icons do not, and have never, functioned the way you say. At the moment I own 2 laptops and a desktop. I did have 4 other desktops but sold them. I have never seen what you describe.

I have never had a virus or been hacked. I don't always run a virus scanner and never run a software firewall. I scan for spyware once a week, but it is automatic. Even so, I just don't install apps that include spyware so it isn't an issue. No, I don't use IE. I use Firefox.

Mac users seem to think that viruses and spyware run rampant on windows machines. And I suppose if you don't know what you are doing then yes, it does happen. Just don't use IE, run a spyware scanner on occasion and don't open email attachments. Problem solved.
  • Reply 60 of 197
    Quote:

Archer, I've shipped several million CDs out to users. On a desktop machine in standard configuration--double clicking opens the autorun. If you right click, it will have OPEN in bold--which runs the autorun--and an explore option beneath it.

right click does display the open option, which does not autorun, it opens the explore window. There is also an "explore" option, but it does the same thing.

But on the right click menu there is an "autoplay" entry which will launch the autorun.

I have not tweaked any settings after a clean install. This is the way it has always worked. So I have no idea why it would be any different for you.