Going to Paris, France...need travel advice

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

[B]Geez you've been copping it left, right and centre haven't you

I'm married - they can't do anything to me that hasn't already been done.

France is great, though, My favorite things that I saw there -

- roller skating brakedancers at the Eifel tower

- the food, outside of Paris (I'm sure that is is good there,

it is just expensive and hard to find). I gained 10 lbs in

two weeks.

- Castles all over the place. In one small town they converted

the castle to a school, and the moat to a series of soccer

fields.

- I flew on the Concorde, and in the waiting lounge Nick Nolte

asked if he could have a turn in the massage chair. They

had quail eggs and cavier.

The museaums are stuffed with annoying American tourists.

After waiting in line for an hour, I didtched the Louve.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    There's an entrance to the Louve that's right off the subway that most often has no line. Somehow we found it by accident. And if you go early ... no crowd. You'll already have your pass, right?

The Louve was okay. Orsay was more my speed. Notre Dame was fun too. Good views up there.

Oh and we also went to Renzo Piano's office in Paris but you have to know people there. That was cool.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    In my expierience hotel bathrooms in Europe do not have windows or exhaust vents, bring a can of room deoderizer with you.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NJ Tom

In my expierience hotel bathrooms in Europe do not have windows or exhaust vents, bring a can of room deoderizer with you.

I guess you choose the wrong hotels : most hotels have exhaust vents . BTW hotels are very expansive in Paris.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Geez you've been copping it left, right and centre haven't you e1618978. Defending you could become a full time occupation. How dare you adopt that baby, your post formatting sucks, you have no appreciation of the arts and sciences. Lucky for all the people in the world like SpcMs whose shit don't stink, eh? Where would we be without them.

Well yes I can but she'd have to be a little on the large size and I'm not sure how the archangel would feel about it.

So you're not reading my posts now as well as my links. Righto. No, no don't trouble yourself. I'll spend 15 minutes Googling how one accesses Mont-St-Michel even though you could have just told me straight up. Maybe they give you a pair floaties and you just have to do your best.

Well it's very simply to acess the mount St MIchel : take the road, and the bridge. In fact all sand problems came from that easy acess. The bridge and the road cause the sand problem.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I guess you choose the wrong hotels : most hotels have exhaust vents . BTW hotels are very expansive in Paris.

The Novotel in Paris is very clean and not very expensive.

At least it was 10 years ago.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by powerdoc

Can you imagine the arch-angel Saint Michel surrounded by a bitch ?

It is "beach", not "bitch", my love.

beach - côte

bitch - salope, chienne

If I ever have the pleasure of visiting Paris, France my sole itenerary will be to visit powerdoc and play on his nice computers.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

It is "beach", not "bitch", my love.

beach - côte

bitch - salope, chienne

If I ever have the pleasure of visiting Paris, France my sole itenerary will be to visit powerdoc and play on his nice computers.

You are welcome my love. All my computers are waiting for you.

As you clearly understand, that was a silly play on words coming from me. The idea of a saint surroundead by a bitch was pleasant.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Actually I was referring to the hotels in Ireland and Germany where we stayed. Paris will be another trip.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by NJ Tom

I think you'll find that building regulations for things like bathroom ventilation are just as stringent as in the U.S.

We've even got electricity and telephones in Europe now!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

We've even got electricity and telephones in Europe now!

We just got "shoe's" down here. I should fit in well minus my accent.

ERic
  • Reply 32 of 38
    I am in need of some more advice.

I have decided to take the High Speed Train from Paris to Laval. Then rent a car and head to the Brittany American Cemetery.

Does anyone know how I would find the rental car place in Laval, hopefully at the station, to get a car rented for the day?

I understand in Europe that a train may split in half and go different directions at some rails stops. The front half may head south and the rear half north. How could I find out if my train does this?

Thanks,

Eric
  • Reply 33 of 38
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have decided to take the High Speed Train from Paris to Laval. Then rent a car and head to the Brittany American Cemetery.

Does anyone know how I would find the rental car place in Laval, hopefully at the station, to get a car rented for the day?

I understand in Europe that a train may split in half and go different directions at some rails stops. The front half may head south and the rear half north. How could I find out if my train does this?

Thanks,

Eric

Hopefully you're taking your mommy along?

Check this site:

http://www.avis.fr/avisonline/statio...P?OpenDocument

And according to this site, there is a car rental at the station and at 'Avenue du Maréchal Leclerc'

http://www.gaf.tm.fr/fr/france/paysd...enne/laval.php

Google is your friend

Oh, and don't worry about splitting trains and stuff, you will be fine (i think )
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Thanks,

Eric

On your ticket there is the number of your wagon and your seat. If you are in the right wagon you should not worry.

The most difficult part, is to know where you should wait your wagon in the station. There is train's plan, but you must be aware that there is differents models of train's plan. You must only follow the one for fast train in your case.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    wish I had seen this post earlier

for all your travel concerns, use www.voyages-sncf.com

bottom left has an english flag.

Its part of the French train and tourism offices. You can get anywhere in france with train, car, connections, hotels, flights, etc. I use the site and services at least twice a week for both work and private. They have very very good holiday bundles (travel+hotel+car rent for very very very good prices)

You can also use www.lastminute.com and opodo.com and anywhere.com (this last one is Paris based as well and has some of the best prices for travel in general... its actually the back-end travel company for Yahoo Travel services)

For Paris, stay in the 5eme arrondisment (where I live). You can get anywhere from here and persoanlly like it more to the Hausman style of the rest of Paris (like Champs Elysee style so we understand eachother).

On Rue Des Ecoles and such there are LOTS of 3 and 2 star hotels. There is quite a difference in price.

I have been to visit a couple 2 star hotels around the corner of my place for friends to stay over and they are clean yet spartan. Yes, you have your own bathroom. Usually around 50-60euros per night for the 2 star. 90-110 for the 3 star. Really depends on your budget and what you want to do. Tourism? party? day trips?

For Paris transportation, get an Orange week or monthly pass. Unlimited travel for week/month. Have a passport picture handy. Sometimes they break your balls and want to have it with the pass. http://www.ratp.fr/ for the transportation of Paris. Metro (subway) is by far the best way to get around.

For things to do you can also try out http://www.timeout.com/ and select Paris.

Well... hmmm... need any other info?

Lemme know when you're around and if you need any places checked out before you reserve

ZO
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Thanks everyone for the help.

I am just very anal and like to know all the details so I can be prepared.

Zo, thanks for the links. I emailed the Brittany American Cemetery and confirmed the directions. They wrote back, very quickly, and gave me an alternate route. Paris to Villedieu-les-poeles. There we have the option to let them pick us up and drive us to and from the station. I believe will try and rent a car there if possible. I found the train route with the website you gave me above. Thanks!! I just wish there was a map of the regional trains somwhere I could look at.

We have already reserved our hotel but I appreciate the offer! Are you an American in France?

Thanks again.

One more thing, what can I expect to pay for a typical dinner for two?

Eric
  • Reply 37 of 38
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Later I'll post more about my travels, but I highly recommend this travel book: DK Eyewitness Guide to Paris. My last trip to Europe we purchased a few of these guides and they were awesome. Great descriptions, history, details, pictures, maps, and more.

Go check it out at your local bookstore.

I'm thinking of buying the San Francisco / SF Bay Area book and playing "tourist for a day" in my own backyard.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    DK are great travel books. They have a great "Top things" to do in Paris. Separate book. Highly reccomended.

Also, for the trains, everything should be available at http://www.ratp.fr/ No exceptions. Even the subways, RER, regional, etc.

And dont worry about being an american in Paris, its basically all you hear around here, with Italian a close second.

I've never seen the slightest aggressiveness towards them, except during Iraqi invasion and such where they were pissed off with Bush and just sorry for the tourists.