Need purchasing advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everybody,

I have been looking at the iMac mini for a little while now and I stumbled upon this site.

I just bought an iPod, and was blown away at how much better iTunes is than windows media player. Then, I thought, why not switch to Apple? I am fed up with windows and all it's problems, so now I am looking for the right apple computer for me.

The iMac mini caught my eye with it's size and price. However, I am worried that it will not suite me well because I like to play games on my computer. I realize you can upgrade the RAM, but still, it's highest processing speed might not be fast enough for the latest games.

The eMac and iMac both don't really suite me because I want to use my big TV as my monitor.

That leaves the Power Mac, which is very expensive. I am willing to shell out some bucks, as I plan to get a job soon (I'm only 15 lol...I'm not exactly holding a steady job...I did have a Bar Mitzva though ) but I still want to be a smart consumer.

Help me find the right computer, please.

Thanks,

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    the mac mini is not for gaming. simple as that. you can still play your games, but dont expect top of the line frame rates.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Mac gaming is a bit of a sore point, unfortunately. We get most of the A list games, eventually, but they're often ports. Game-loving Mac users tend to invest in consoles, or maybe a cheap PC.

So what matters here is: Which games? What levels of quality? The Mac mini will be an able performer at most recent titles, if not at max resolution and/or with all the bells and whistles turned on. Games that really push the hardware hard, like DOOM 3, are probably going to be disappointing. Strategy/RTS games, 2D and arcade-style games and the like that tend not to push the system too hard will do better.

So it really depends on what you expect. One thing to consider: The number of minis you can buy for the price of one PowerMac is the number of times you can simply upgrade by buying the latest and greatest mini a year or two down the road, instead of paying the full sum up front for the big guy.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

So what matters here is: Which games? What levels of quality? The Mac mini will be an able performer at most recent titles, if not at max resolution and/or with all the bells and whistles turned on..

Ditto. One bright spot is that Blizzard releases simultaneous releases for both Mac + PC. (And does one really need any other game after the time that World of Warcraft sucks out of you? ) Everything else, you'll have to wait a few months for a port, and a few (like Half-Life 2) won't get ported at all.

You can check here and here to get a sense of what games are out there for the Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Provided that you have the space in your room: Buy a Mac mini to use for everything but gaming. Then, spend $600-$800 on a PC for gaming, (even less if you're willing to build it yourself). Get a KVM to switch between the two, and you're set.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    resres Posts: 711member
    The above posts were full of good advice. It basically come down to the type of game you play: if you want to play fist person shooters like Unreal 2004 then you need a Powermac with an upgraded video card. If you are more into RTS games like Warcraft III, Starcraft, C&C Generals and such, you can get by with the mini (those games run fairly well on my old 800MHz powerbook).

what I've been doing is building a cheap PC just for gaming (I don't use it for anything else, not even surfing the web), because I really like FPS and don't have the money for a Powermac. Although, since I've cut back my gaming considerably (I used to be involved in ladder play), I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade the PC again, or just let it fade away.

What other things are you planing to use the computer for besides gaming and iTunes? It could make a difference in recommendations.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Thanks for the advice guys.

To answer your question, I would also use it for the internet, word processing, and maybe even for making movies.

And, yes it sucks that the Macs don't get as many games as the PC. What REALLY sucks is that the game I wish I could play most is unfortunately a game made by Microsoft that they no longer port - Microsoft Flight simulator. But I also could see myself playing The Sims or C&C. However, I am more of a console player anyways so that's the TOO imporatant.

So are you guys thinking I should just get a PowerMac, or just wait for the latest and greatest Mini to come out in a couple years?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Ok question.

Do you guys think it would be more worth it to buy...

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

? 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512

? 80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB DDR SDRAM

? 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

for 2600 bux

OR...

? Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

? 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256

? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM

? 56k V.92 modem

for 2900 bux

I'm definently thinking the first one. It's easy to just buy another HD and have a little bit of a slower computer for a lower price than to just go get a full blown computer with a faster processor and a bigger HD. Plus, the first one has an ethernet card and 2 GB's of RAM.

If I worked all summer I could save up enough money to buy it. That would be a good computer for doing basically anything. Maybe I could find it on ebay for an even lower price...but then my parents would freak out about using their credit card.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by adam07

Ok question.

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

for 2600 bux

OR...

? Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

? 56k V.92 modem

for 2900 bux

I'm definently thinking the first one. It's easy to just buy another HD and have a little bit of a slower computer for a lower price than to just go get a full blown computer with a faster processor and a bigger HD. Plus, the first one has an ethernet card and 2 GB's of RAM.

If I worked all summer I could save up enough money to buy it. That would be a good computer for doing basically anything. Maybe I could find it on ebay for an even lower price...but then my parents would freak out about using their credit card.

all powermac's come with an ethernet card, unless you removed it. you can remove the modem port and save 25 bucks. i really tihnk you should get the 2nd one. you mentioned that you can upgrade lots of stuff later on the first, but with the dual 2.5 all you would need to add is the ram as you get money for it.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Ok question.

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

for 2600 bux

OR...

? Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

? 56k V.92 modem

for 2900 bux

First comment I have is DONT BUY APPLE RAM just get the stock 256 and with the money you would have spent on the memory upgrade from apple, just order 4 gigs of ram off the net for the same price and max that thing out (assumeing you go with the first one)

also - forget the gigabit card unless you are useing this as a server - all power mac towers have ethernet on the mobo - the giga card is for servers or people who use their Mac as a workstation and a DHCP host for a LAN.

But If your window is the end of summer, wait and see what materialises at WWDC, we usualy see good things happen to the PM line there...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Alright thanks...i thought it was a little wierd seeing an ethernet card costing extra. Also, I don't really know how to install RAM myself so I'm a little apprehensive about that.

Alright so if I went with what you suggested it would only cost me about 2000 bucks. Nice! How much does 4 gigs of RAM cost?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Alright thanks...i thought it was a little wierd seeing an ethernet card costing extra. Also, I don't really know how to install RAM myself so I'm a little apprehensive about that.

Alright so if I went with what you suggested it would only cost me about 2000 bucks. Nice! How much does 4 gigs of RAM cost?

4 gigs of ram cost quite a bit. i bought 2 1GB sticks and 4 512 sticks from Ramjet. the ram is very easy to install in G5's.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    iMac?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    No PowerMac G5.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Are you planning on getting really serious with movie editing? Cause $2000 seems to be an awful lot to drop on a computer at age 15, for something that's probably overkill for your desired usage.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    No, no, lol. Just like recording halo2 and stuff. Doesn't iMovie come with iLife?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

No, no, lol. Just like recording halo2 and stuff. Doesn't iMovie come with iLife?

Yes, iLife includes iMovie.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Yes, iLife includes iMovie.

Ok, but does the computer come with iLife? I thought that was only the mini.

Nevermind all of them include iLife...

So do you think I should get the first one without the extra ethernet card and the extra RAM?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

hey next time i'm home i'll recording halo as well. is there a special feed you can get to record it or are you inputting the video jsut as you see it on the tv, with 4 split screens? i'd like to have a view similar to the 4th screen when you only have 3 players in multiplayer mode.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I think you see it as you see it on the TV, with all the screens.

I think I read the article when I searched "mac mini" in google, by an author I think from a website like macworld.com or something. He did a whole series of articles on the minis, it should be pretty easy to find I think.

Nevermind the macworld thing, here it is. In "video in" he talks about EyeTV. Seems too expensive for me...I think it would easier to just buy a capture card for it, that is, if you don't have the mini.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000057028826/