Apple Pro Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have spent a ton of money (stupidly) on mice for my mac, PB G4. I have an assortment of Logitech notebook mice (including the new V500) and the MX 1000 Laser. If it looks like a good mouse I probably have it.

Point: I have all the good mice, and a nicee slim leather sleeve for my PB. The corded Apple Pro Mouse is still the best mouse for every day use. So, people, unless you just get turned on by having a ton of buttons, don't waste your money like I have.

Scroll wheel: Nice, but I always grab the scroll bar to adjust anyway.

Back button: Nice, but I have to move the mouse anyway to click on other stuff, so is it really a big deal to hit the back button

Forward button: Same

The real problem for Mac users: Control Click. I am not a key board short guy, I use the mouse for everything, but I have never NOT used the keyboard when sitting at my Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I never though I'd say this, but I came to the same conclusion. I've had an old Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (5 buttons) for a few years, and several other good multi-button mice because I was convinced that I needed the extra buttons.

But every time I visit my inlaws to do some maintenance for them, I enjoy using their single-button pro mouse.

So, when I got my mini, I bought a corded pro mouse to go with it for $29. It really is a comfortable mouse to use.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yeah, I love the single mouse button feel. The bluetooth version is a must have.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Part of the reason I like the single button mouse so much is the fact that it is much easier on my hand for the sort of work I do.

I am an electrical engineer and, when drawing schematics, I click *all day* with very little actual typing. At the risk of sounding like a complete wuss, my clicking finger gets tired after a few hours and a few thousand clicks.

the whole-hand method of the one button mouse makes things go so much easier, and is worth the need to control-click every once and a while. Oddly enough, I find I miss that a whole lot more then the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    You people are right on the money. The Pro Mouse is SO comfortable to use. It fits in any bag or briefcase.

It really is by far the best mouse out there. Logitech makes mice that are 800 dpi, but they skip around and don't track any more accurately than the pro mouse.

I wish that since control-click gave the contextual menus, that there was a way to program a function-click or something else.

I have 2 bluetooth Apple pro mouse. I use rechargable batteries so I am not concerned replacing them. I find it very frustrating to use though. Seems that it has a lot of lag time and goes to sleep too often. Doesn't track well either.

The short cord on the Pro Mouse is genious, it fits well with a PB so there isn't five miles of cord. I just want to get people to give thier simple one-button pro mouse a chance before wasting a bunch of money like I have.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Yeah, I love the single mouse button feel. The bluetooth version is a must have.

ditto
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I have two BT's and I don't seem to like either one. It seems the tracking is eratic. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I have two BT's and I don't seem to like either one. It seems the tracking is eratic. Does anyone else have this problem?

Make sure you have the Bluetooth upgrade. I've heard of problems if the most recent is not installed.

Barring that, make sure that your mousing surface is appropriate for an optical mouse. (i.e. nothing reflective)
  • Reply 8 of 22
    The corded mouse is perfect. The BT should be. I have the latest firmware update. I have two, and they are the same. I get pissed off when I move fast, and the cursor is still where I started, so, that started me on my mouse hunting journey. Now I know that the corded Pro Mouse is the best, hands down. So now we can all stop wasting money.

Why did Apple stop making the click tension adjustable in the corded mice?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Why did Apple stop making the click tension adjustable in the corded mice?

$
  • Reply 10 of 22
    What? 10$ per?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

I have spent a ton of money (stupidly) on mice for my mac, PB G4. I have an assortment of Logitech notebook mice (including the new V500) and the MX 1000 Laser. If it looks like a good mouse I probably have it.

Point: I have all the good mice, and a nicee slim leather sleeve for my PB. The corded Apple Pro Mouse is still the best mouse for every day use. So, people, unless you just get turned on by having a ton of buttons, don't waste your money like I have.

Back button: Nice, but I have to move the mouse anyway to click on other stuff, so is it really a big deal to hit the back button

The real problem for Mac users: Control Click. I am not a key board short guy, I use the mouse for everything, but I have never NOT used the keyboard when sitting at my Mac.

do you find the V500 scrolling responsive? Do you have a problem with tracking? My logitech mice have huge problems on OS X!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    the bluetooth mouse works great for me. Tracks well, etc. Pretty much same as the wired.

Wonder if they'll go to a brushed aluminum mouse/keyboard at some point. The white is so ipody.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Ihave the old logitech wheel mouse (i think it was one of the first optical mice logitech made) and it works great i have no issue with tracking irregularities and what not. The right click is broken (just touching the button will click) besides that though this mouse has gone to hell and back and still works perfectly.

oh and i do play FPS games quite regularly with it as well... Id still use the puck mouse from my first imac if it were just optical, It was the most comfortable mouse ive ever used
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by gjas15

Ihave the old logitech wheel mouse (i think it was one of the first optical mice logitech made) and it works great i have no issue with tracking irregularities and what not. The right click is broken (just touching the button will click) besides that though this mouse has gone to hell and back and still works perfectly.

oh and i do play FPS games quite regularly with it as well... Id still use the puck mouse from my first imac if it were just optical, It was the most comfortable mouse ive ever used

logitech admitted the problem - it only occrs when the logitech control centre is installed. I have to install it to enable side-scrolling and battery life indicator!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

I have a corded two button clear/white optical mouse which cost me $3.00 and I have to say that I wouldn't go back to the Apple Pro[fit] Mouse. I love the Mac, but personally I think the mouse thing is a big rip-off, and I find being able to right-click and scroll makes my job so much easier and faster!

Just my opinion
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I have used numerous Apple Pro Mice, and I can't understand why anyone would like them. Not only do they lack functionality, but personally I hate the feel of it too. I find it awkward to have to move my fingers to the small spaces on the side of the mouse so they don't interfere with the button's click. Try lifting the mouse while holding down the button... and be frustrated. The lack of any real dividing lines for the button makes it a challenge to do precise clicks, especially since you can't adjust the click resistance now. The click itself never feels nice and crisp because it's all just one big button. The smooth, glossy surface does nothing to absorb moisture from my hand. I could go on.

So I am married to my Logitech MX500 that I've had for a year and a half. Not only do I greatly enjoy the ergonomics of it, but I can't live without the extra buttons now in OS X. Two of them for expose (F11 and F9), one for page up, one for page down, one for cmd-m, scroll wheel, and of course, ctrl-click. I'm not saying the mouse is perfect but it has served me well. At times I wished it was smaller, I'm not a big fan of the mouse that are molded to fit all they way up into the palm of your hand. I like to control the mouse with my fingertips and that big hump feels like it gets in the way sometimes. Not to mention, Logitech's drivers are complete crap too.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by telekon

I have a corded two button clear/white optical mouse which cost me $3.00 and I have to say that I wouldn't go back to the Apple Pro[fit] Mouse. I love the Mac, but personally I think the mouse thing is a big rip-off, and I find being able to right-click and scroll makes my job so much easier and faster!

Just my opinion

right click and scrolling save so much time although touch sensitive scroling will take some taking used to (both on my PowerBook (still yet to arrive) and V500!)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I have a Logitec Cordless Mouseman optical, and I would never go back to a one-button mouse. No way. The benefits of a scroll-wheel and the second mouse button are just too big in my opinion.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

Not to mention, Logitech's drivers are complete crap too.

I use my MX500 without drivers, expose can still program buttons so it's fine.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Apple's mice are the worst.