pc mice & os x

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi all,

the time of my powerbook buying is perhaps drawing closer by the day! so i have a question re; peripherals:

yes, guilty, i am a pc two-button-mouse person and i plan to take this depolarable habit with me into the world of mac and me. but before you all flog me to death in the streets i ask you to forgive me this indigression and provide me with information. i know that os x supports 2 button mice, but how about the scroll wheel? when i buy my 'book i should get a fair bit of store credit for accessories so i want to buy a good mouse. i'm quite tempted by the microsoft intellimouse explorer for bluetooth. will os x support the scroll wheel?

and yes, i did say microsoft. sorry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

but before you all flog me to death in the streets

If you were to poll this here forum, I think you'd find that at least half (being conservative here) of the posters use non-apple mice. There're a lot of professionals and system-tweakers who know about ergonomics and workflow, and a 1-button is not the way to go if you're PRO. If you do find an argument here about 2-button-plus mice, it'll be about whether or not Apple should provide them, as opposed to 3rd parties.

I do believe that your mouse is compatible, but would recommend instead the Logitech MX 510 which is a great deal at amazon. 8-button, scroll wheel, whatever, it'll work. Have a good time shopping around!!

--B

Edit: Oh, I see you want cordless. That's a no-brainer.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Here's the software you need to run MS mice on OS X.

VersionTracker's the bomb.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ANY USB mouse will work with OSX right out of the box with no additional drivers.

Logitech and MS make good drivers. I heard lots of complaints about Logitech drivers, but I generally had good experience with them.

Otherwise, download USB Overdrive here

This excellent software will appear in your Preferences and will let you customize just about everything you could ever want to customize on any USB input device. I am using it with a generic notebook mini mouse and works flawlessly (3 buttons, optical wheel, etc).

Thats aboot it.

Oh I think Macally ship mice with their own software as well, but I honestly never tried their products.

Overall, I prefer MS mouse software. Gives lots of choice and customisation.

have fun!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thanks guys

i may even splash out on my 'book tomorrow or weds! either way it's looking like i can't wait any longer now.

going on plastic, but i'm usually well behaved
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    If you're thinking bluetooth, I'd think twice about the MacMouse (2 button+scroll wheel)... it's been getting good reviews out of the box, but there can be an issue later.

In my case, it worked for about a week... then it started getting all jerky.

According to the manufacturer's webiste, it's something that just happens - nothing they can do. (Took it back, no problem)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Hey, Jonny from Tokyo--can you shed any light on this other thread? Is the translation any good?

--B
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I have a MacAlly IceMouseJR - it's very good for the price, no problems, and doesn't require a driver - MacAlly do supply a driver in case you want to change the setup - left handed mode and such.

Andrew
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Although one button mice are quite fine for normal use, and I'm reasonably adept at playing Blizzard games with one button, you'll find a good portion of people who use their computers to do any sort of work likely own third-party mice, which is fine.

Apple has their model for a reason, and it probably serves the purpose they wish to serve well, perhaps they could offer covertly an apple branded 2 + scroll mouse to sate those who want the coolness of an apple mouse with the functionality and are smart enough to know to ask for it.

On the thought of limited functionality pointing devices - I'm quite pleased with SideTrack for making more of my iBook trackpad (scroll, exposé and right-click).

Mendosi
  • Reply 9 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

If you were to poll this here forum, I think you'd find that at least half (being conservative here) of the posters use non-apple mice. There're a lot of professionals and system-tweakers who know about ergonomics and workflow, and a 1-button is not the way to go if you're PRO. If you do find an argument here about 2-button-plus mice, it'll be about whether or not Apple should provide them, as opposed to 3rd parties.

[/URL]

WRONG! As far as ergonomics goes, there is substantial evidence to show that multibutton mice are most definitely NOT the way to go. The absolute worst transgression against good ergos is the scroll wheel. An ergonomic scroll wheel mouse simply does NOT exist -- go ask your doctor, I don't feel like explaining it again.

Pros who know about workflow and ergos use the keyboard as much as possible, it's way faster than a right-click. If they need more than what is offered by a one-button mouse, they turn to specialized control devices. Tablets, shuttle pro's etc etc... ALL better at what they do than any mouse.

Just because a lot of people use multi-button mice, doesn't mean that they know anything about ergos, or workflow, or even what works best for them. What you think is convenient can be very misleading.

The best we could hope for from Apple, is that they build some sort of gestural recognition into their mouse driver, like they have with their track-pad.

The ONE-BUTTON is the PRO solution!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

WRONG!

-snip-

The ONE-BUTTON is the PRO solution!

Actually, now that you mention it, this does sound quite right - the one button mouse does not leave you feeling tired like others, particularly my one with a scroll wheel.

Built-in trackpads aren't great I imagine, but they're probably not designed for sustained use and the main attractive feature of their design, AFAIK, is that they're really thin and fit into thin computers.

Personally, I prefer the keyboard for speed and comfort - since you can reach almost every command just by stretching fingers rather than clumsily zeroing in with the mouse. And if you know the keyboard and commands well enough you can do most things without looking or thinking - just like you probably do when you type your username <tab> password <return>, and that's easier than clicking on fields and buttons.

Mendosi
  • Reply 11 of 11
    well i got an ms wireless intellimouse explorer 2, and very nice it is too!