PLC HomePlug AV for Digital Lifestyle

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's talk about data transmission over electricity, cause there is now some fresh news in this area.

BPL (Broadband over Power Line) uses high-voltage electricity grids (outdoor) to provide Internet access, and PLC (Power Line Communications) use domestic power lines (indoor) to create home networks. Different names, same technology. Well, PLC is a more generic term.

The HomePlug Powerline Alliance is a consortium promotting PLC with members such as Broadcom Corp, Corinex, Linksys, NETGEAR, Sanyo, Siemens, ZyXEL... Participants or sponsors such as Belkin, Mitsubishi, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, SPIDCOM, Earthlink, Sharp... are involved too.

They made the HomePlug 1.0 standard, a 14 Mbps-class technology (closer to 6-7 Mb/s in real-life performance), so close to wifi 802.11b data rates (original Airport), with a boost to 45 Mb/s in the same way as 802.11g (Airport Extreme data rates).

But the HPA will release very soon the next generation standard: HomePlug AV, at 200 Mbps. It will serve as a basis for HomePlug BPL standard, for ISPs.

Thus, SPIDCOM Technologies has made the SPiDChip 200 (with its proprietary "FLIP technology"), an integrated circuit which transmits data over power line at 200 Mbps.

And DS2 has just made the DSS9000 chipset (CES 2005 Best of Innovations Award in partnership with Corinex), which also operates at 200 Mbps, with 1000 feet range. On Corinex website, there is even PDF manuals for Mac OS X.

-> HomePlug AV-compliant 200 Mbps DS2 DSS9000 chip: Press Release.

Wondering if Apple could use this new HomePlug AV standard (the long-awaited Gigawire maybe?) within its "Digital Lifestyle" home strategy, because wifi -until far-away 802.11n- doesn't catch up for streaming AV content to TV sets or from cameras (especially with HD). The new HomePlug AV DS2 chipset offers multicast, QoS (Quality of Service, necessary to concurently deliver multiple data flows) and powerful 128-bit secure 3DES encryption.

- The DSS9011 chip is for home networks and targets VoIP phones, TV and Video on Demand...

- The DSS9011 chip is for audio networking and targets home theater sound systems, VoIP and MP3 players (say AirTunes?).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    After seeing HomePNA die a quiete death I'm not holding my hopes up that HomePlug AV takes off. It seems too good to be true giving homes the ability to network over ubiquitous powerlines.

I think the future offers multiple networks in the home where it is feasible. Apple's work on Rendezvous will not go unrewarded. I could see the future networked home being a almagamation of HomePlug AV, Ethernet and Wireless.

Whatever roads it takes to get data from one device to another is fine with me.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Wondering if Apple could use this new HomePlug AV standard (the long-awaited Gigawire maybe?) within its "Digital Lifestyle" home strategy, because wifi -until far-away 802.11n- doesn't catch up for streaming AV content to TV sets or from cameras (especially with HD). The new HomePlug AV DS2 chipset offers multicast, QoS (Quality of Service, necessary to concurently deliver multiple data flows) and powerful 128-bit secure 3DES encryption.

- The DSS9011 chip is for home networks and targets VoIP phones, TV and Video on Demand...

- The DSS9011 chip is for audio networking and targets home theater sound systems, VoIP and MP3 players (say AirTunes?). [/B]

Been using the Devolo Audio Units to disseminate iTunes Playlist through my house and it works flawlessly . Multiple stream using Nicecast injected in every room in my house.

Very good tech. Non intrusive. Available where power is available.

Would love if Apple looked this way...