System Optimizer, Limewire problems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, so this has been a fun week:

I have been having problems with limewire for awhile now. In fact, it will not run at all. The icon bounces in the dock, then just quits. If I don't have it in the dock, it appears, then disappears in a few seconds after bouncing.

System optimizer will no longer repair permissions or run its routine. It runs, but can't do anything.

Here is what I have done:

Ran permissions repair from disk utility, and then verification. No change. Trashed and reinstalled both programs. No change.

Decided it was time to do this anyway, so I reinstalled OSX, updated it, ran repairs, restored my data. Limewire ran initially but now will not after a few more permissions repairs. System Optimizer=no change.

I actually did the above twice due to a backup problem. I think this may be related to how I back up the system. I use back up for my settings, but manually import my applications and other info from a firewire hard disk. One thing I did was installed iPhoto from the the other drive, which caused my powerbook to need to repair about 1,000,000,000,000 permisions. It took like fifteen minutes.

All is fine now, but not these two apps. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I read something somewhere about an Apple Java update messing with Limewire. Might have been on the limewire site. Mine doesn't work either.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I used to use limewire all the time, putting up with it's idiosyncracies, but I've found Aquisition and Xfactor to be superior in almost every way.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

I used to use limewire all the time, putting up with it's idiosyncracies, but I've found Aquisition and Xfactor to be superior in almost every way.

I generally agree. Acquisition is better for the most part.

Actually, I just trashed everything in my system that said "limewire", and reinstalled and it worked. Oh, except then it stopped working. I think it is a preference problem of some sort. I noticed this problem several months ago.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Did you change anything in the /Library/Receipts folder? Repeairing permissions relies on the package receipts in this folder, they are not just leftovers that you can delete ...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Did you change anything in the /Library/Receipts folder? Repeairing permissions relies on the package receipts in this folder, they are not just leftovers that you can delete ...

Even if I had, I reinstalled it. I didn't change anything after reinistall, other than perhaps permissions repairs.