Admin help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got my powerbook G4 OSX 10.3 about 2 months ago, coming from windoze with a rather large ego. I figured that I could apply the same knowledge to apple computers. Big mistake. My brother got me out of my first jam, but he's in Daytona for a month, so here I am. What I did THIS time, is attempted to change my son's permission and messed up. The computer starts up, but now I get a window that asks for my password. Once I get to the desktop? or apple equivalent, my icons are not there. In trying to find my applications, I went to accounts and noticed that my account says standard and my son's account which is greyed out also says standard. When I click the lock to make changes, the authenticate window comes up, but my name and password don't work in that window. My brother used the OS disk to get me out of my 1st jam when whatever I did caused a folder with a question mark to appear at start-up without allowing the computer to boot. I need help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Somehow you managed to change your account from an admin to a standard user. I'm not sure how you did this, as the System Prefs pane for accounts doesn't let you change yourself to a non-admin if you're an admin.

I'd look under your accounts in the system prefs and look for any other admins there. If so, you can login under that account, and under the security prefs part of that pane of your account, check 'allow user to administer this computer'.

If there is no admin account, you can try logging in as root with your original password and attempt to do the same there. If neither of those work, you'll need the boot CD, boot from it, and from the menu, choose 'reset admin password' or some such and do that.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Welcome to AppleInsider, Bdub.

I'm going to move your question to Genius Bar, our tech support forum.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Welcome to AppleInsider, Bdub.

I'm going to move your question to Genius Bar, our tech support forum.

Hey Bdub!

There is an apple store in the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington. If you run into trouble too deeply and which can't be solved here on these boards.

If you are closer to NYC the Soho store is indeed the Flagship. Also, try Apple tech support they are top knotch and really helpful and if you just bought the computer tech support is free.

May I also recommend Apple care it triples your warentee and allows for a full three year tech support (worth the extra bux)

Stafford Associates in Setauket is also a great place if out of the way. Apple sent me there to fix my powerbook and they got it back up WITHIN 24 hours. No charge under apple care.

Welcome and Enjoy the Mac experience. (just not this one )

• Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks for the help, and quick response. It's a good thing Kurt checks his e-mail. We've got a dialogue going and hopefully he can get me out of this bloody mess if we don't get on each others nerves. I'm happy to be here, but not under these circumstances. Thanks for the welcome....

BW
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bdub

I got my powerbook G4 OSX 10.3 about 2 months ago, coming from windoze with a rather large ego.

Some people should not be allowed to switch.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Some people should not be allowed to switch.

So much for thinking different. There's a reason PC people perceive Mac people to be elitist and unfriendly.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Wow!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Problem rectified. I'm a fast learner, and bought the Mac OS X Bible. Any similar reading would be welcome...

BW