Interesting Editorial (RE: Apple/Nintendo)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=1611

This is an editorial piece - a pure work of fiction disguised as an e-mail from Steve Jobs sent to Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

I know rumors of an Apple/Ninendo partnership have circulated for a good year or so and while I don't think it will happen, this article really does pose a few interesting ideas that, as a Mac user and an owner of both a Nintendo DS and GameCube, I would love to see become a reality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    its great to think about though I doubt it will happen - am guessing Apple would much rather stay neutral in the game console arena.

but yeah, Nintendo are mostly what drives the games business forward through innovation, similar to Apple. Also both companies fall behind in market share as the average joe is more then happy to use today's gadgets, rather then tomorrows.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I would much rather see Nintendo & Apple join forces than Nintendo get swollowed up by Microsoft. Nintendo & Apple have a lot of things in common - both have proven to be innovators in their respective industries and both have developed technology which has either been copied, stolen and/or mimicked by their competitors. Both have extremely loyal fanbases, etc., etc.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhoq

I would much rather see Nintendo & Apple join forces than Nintendo get swollowed up by Microsoft.

Nintendo swallowed up by MS? That has no chance of ever happening.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    The alleged Steve Jobs letter has a date of "March 23rd 2005"??
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhoq

I would much rather see Nintendo & Apple join forces than Nintendo get swollowed up by Microsoft. Nintendo & Apple have a lot of things in common - both have proven to be innovators in their respective industries and both have developed technology which has either been copied, stolen and/or mimicked by their competitors. Both have extremely loyal fanbases, etc., etc.

I doubt that would happen, Nintendo could easily servive any demise of their hardware platform by switching to a software company as Sega did. Nintendoes title's are popular enough to ensure their success as long as the games continue to inovate and challange the same way that Mario 64 did.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That article was some of the most worthless reading I've ever done. Woo Hoo!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

The alleged Steve Jobs letter has a date of "March 23rd 2005"??

It was established before the "alleged Steve Jobs letter" even began that it was a work of fiction.

From the article...

Quote:

The below is a work of fiction, and is not presented as fact or the actual writing of the speculative author. The below is presented as a letter from Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs to Nintendo Corporation, Ltd. President Satoru Iwata. I have dated it March 23, 2005?the day before the US launch of the PSP. I hope you enjoy the below, as it is a path Nintendo and Apple fans alike can truly hope for.

• Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Quote:

Trip Hawkins, Founder Electronic Arts and 3DO (when recently asked what he thought about Nintendo's future)

"My magic eight ball says they will be acquired by Microsoft within five years."

http://cube.ign.com/articles/590/590427p1.html
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Let me recheck my figures...

yep, exactly zero.

I would be surprised if MS is even able to have the cash on hand to take over/buy anyone of Nintendo's size in five years.

Trip is a smart guy from the many times I've spoken with him about the console biz, but on this particular point he is way off.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    not to turn this into a nintendo thread- but they are doing damn fine.

just because in the US, Aus and parts of Europe they aint doing too well, doesn't mean all is bad for Nintendo. In their homeland of Japan, Nintendo is still massive, and it is the Xbox (Mircrosoft) that are struggling. It's all relevant on where you live and how the market plays out in your area.

It's funny, cos our western media are ready to talk down Nintendo at any moment, when in reality they are one of the biggest profit makers in the games industry, and one of the biggest companies in the world (am sure they are in the top 15).

It's similar to how Apple are one of the most successful computer companies, though most people think they are rather small at their 5% market share.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    "Music isn?t our only concern, though. Apple would eventually like to expand the iTunes storefront to offer movie downloads. Unfortunately, the MPAA is currently not coming to the table for negotiations, but as the sales at iTunes go up (330 million purchases and counting, not including the promotional giveaways from Pepsi and McDonalds), they are slowly beginning to coalesce. By this time, you are wondering how this has anything to do with Nintendo. The answer is quite simple: I propose two Apple-Nintendo co-branded features to be offered on the Dual-Screen."

When did Apple sell songs at McDonalds?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Well, they hinted they would try to buy them. This happened in late 2004 I think. I saw the reports on IGN.com. I don't have the exact link though.

I don't think that will happen, anyway. Specially since the Gameboy Advance SP and the Nintendo DS sell so well.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    AS IF E3 couldn't get any hotter, a filing this morning suggests that Nintendo are set to unveil a new handheld device at the show.

The gaming reporters at SPOnG cite internal Nintendo sources as saying that the Nintendo DS is to be shifted into a role of 'PDA that plays games', with Nintendo's recent licensing of the PalmOS.

from the inquirer

April foolsday is coming.....
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    If the DS becomes a Palm PDA, I will buy one immediately, maybe two. The screen and touchscreen of the DS is very good, but I just can't talk myself into spending that kind of money for a game machine (the SP is nice enough).
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Apparently M$ attempted to buy out Nintendo before they started developing the Xbox. For $25 billion.

That's what I heard, and it probably bs.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Apparently M$ attempted to buy out Nintendo before they started developing the Xbox. For $25 billion.

That's what I heard, and it probably bs.

Microsoft tried to buy a lot of stuff before the xbox was released. The console biz as a whole gave them the finger.