iPod 5G Concept...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think the 5G iPod will be:

- Similar to iPod mini in design

- Wider form and seamless display.

- Thinner than current.

- Include streaming caps ( like the shuffle cap)

- HUGE Battery capacity.

Something like this ...

Wat do you think ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    nsousansousa

I like!

I think they could get away from having a wider unit as long as it was thinner. I think the mini is about as thin as you want to go IMO.

I like the idea of streaming cap and a wider display(make it OLED color)

There should be a special connector so that I could link two together side by side in a RAID0 configuration for those monster Apple Lossless files

I think the depth of the iPods is largely dependent on the number of platters the mini little harddrive in each contains right? So if Apple sticks with a single platter drive for these they should be able to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    with something so thin.. u could easily break it in half... or drop it or sumthing. i dono. theres lots of bad things that could happen. the whole idea is that it is durable and not fragile. and it neeeeds a color screen.. maybe not soo thin and not to much wider... but that would be kickass if thas wut it was.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Why would you want to break it in half??

• Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

maybe not soo thin and not to much wider... but that would be kickass if thas wut it was.

That's what we have now dawg.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Can't really be much wider, or it would become awkward to manipulate the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Can't really be much wider, or it would become awkward to manipulate the scroll wheel.

True. I'm used to the mini where you have plenty of space. Look at the space between the edges of the LCD. If Apple could minimize that area they could go slightly wider without making the unit too wide. The thinner depth would help as well

• Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

I see what you mean, but maybe a little wider and shorter.

The current aspect ratio would change.

I forgot to mention the reduced height.

Thanks all you guys for the comments. :-)

I really think the Classic iPod looks like the Classic Mac.

It's rounded but bulky, not sleek.

When I look at the screen it reminds me of my Mac SE ...

Time to enter the new century :-)

• Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Plus, it wouldn't fit in the (current) dock.

I like the idea of caps, though.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wouldn't it make more sense to have the BT and WiFi caps go on the *bottom*? That's where the Dock (ie, the connection to other devices) hooks up, and you'll want to keep the headphone jack etc open for use while it's connected...

Just a thought. Love it though.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    since we are making fantasy products that couldn't exist anytime soon... how about we just not have caps at all?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the BT and WiFi caps go on the *bottom*? That's where the Dock (ie, the connection to other devices) hooks up, and you'll want to keep the headphone jack etc open for use while it's connected...

Just a thought. Love it though.

Thanks ;-)

See what you mean...

I thought the top caps would bring the design to ressemble the actual iPod dimensions.

The dock connector would still be in the bottom.

As i see it, when you connect through the dock you don't need the cap connectivity.

You only need the cap while on the move ( car, different network).

Also the new Docks (which I already depicted a couple of months ago) would have airport and Airtunes server built in.

• Reply 12 of 35
    I think concepts are great and all but if it is that thin, it would have to run off of flash memory as the thinest hard drives can't go more than around 5GB right now and if you want 40GB+ you are going to need the standard drives in current iPods.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Thanks ;-)

See what you mean...

I thought the top caps would bring the design to ressemble the actual iPod dimensions.

The dock connector would still be in the bottom.

As i see it, when you connect through the dock you don't need the cap connectivity.

You only need the cap while on the move ( car, different network).

Exactly. The Dock connector is already set up to send out the appropriate signals for sharing the music, so why not just change the endpoint that connects to the rest of the system? Instead of a cable, it would be a WiFi or BT connection. There's zero change of wanting to use a cap *and* the Dock, so there's no interference. But there might be a desire to use headphones *and* the BT, for instance, so that you can be listening to music, come near your Mac, and your AddressBook etc sync up automatically just like they would with a cell phone... but you're still using the iPod. Nifty, eh?

Putting caps on the top, and the Dock on the bottom means that the functionality to route music has to be placed at both ends. Duplication like that just adds to cost and makes it more confusing to the user.

But I do like the idea and design.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

True. I'm used to the mini where you have plenty of space. Look at the space between the edges of the LCD. If Apple could minimize that area they could go slightly wider without making the unit too wide. The thinner depth would help as well

I'd rather they kept the width of the iPod where it's at but increase the width of the screen a bit. That way I could actually fit the full titles of my songs/albums without scrolling. The iPod could get a more flat appearance on the front and back along with a silver aluminum border to give it Mac mini design cues.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Final details.

• Reply 16 of 35
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    One thing about the screen not being recessed is that it will scratch. That is my only nitpick, oh, and no color screen....How dare you!!!8)
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry

[bone thing about the screen not being recessed is that it will scratch. That is my only nitpick, oh, and no color screen....How dare you!!!) [/B]

Yes, I see what you mean.

But I would really like a seamless, integration of the screen with the background. Actually it is a bit recessed but not perceptible from this angle

As for color...this the Classic iPod ! :-)
  • Reply 18 of 35
    you could have there be a hole on top of the caps where the headphone circuit could be extended to.

**EDIT**

enless you have bluetooth wireless headphones...

i just dont know how they would go about integrating bluetooth into the headphones they have right now

• Reply 19 of 35
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    i don't like the whole "thin as paper" models...
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

i don't like the whole "thin as paper" models...

There's actually a school of thought in industrial design that says that small handheld items should approximate the size and weight of a bar of soap. For some reason, people like that. Some have postulated that it is because it reminds us of something we use every day, in a very er, close way. Because of that, anything that reminds us unconsciously of that will feel 'comfortable', and we'll feel good about it.