Applecare - not in Florida?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I didn't purchase Applecare for my Powerbook when I bought my computer last year in March. Now that the one year of support is ending soon, I was going to buy it.

But when I went to the Apple site, there is a disclaimer on the bottom that this isn't for Florida consumers.

Why not? What do I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    this is true, but i don't recall why. there was a bit of confusion when even the brick-n-mortar apple stores in florida were selling applecare. apple had to refund the money and take them back. i don't recall the reasons why (certainly they are legal, not just because apple hates the state or something...), but you might want to call apple and ask them what other options are available to you.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Basically the jist is that florida is full of old people, and old people think all maintenance agreements are a scam, so, they don't wanna get scammed(even if many of them are not, but I agree that some are/can be). so florida has outlawed maintenance agreements and things similiar to them. (like extended warranties).

if you want this changed, move to florida, and just run around scaring old people till they are all gone.

• Reply 3 of 4
    Sorry General, Florida has not outlawed extended warranties, but mostly for the reasons you mentioned (which I think are pretty valid) a company must submit it warranty scheme to the state for approval.

Apple for whatever reason (and they aren't the only ones) have declined to do this.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Florida does have some law against an individual owning an extended warranty or something. Just say it is for business use... or maybe it's the other way around. I have always just ignored the law and lied about what i was using it for. No one cares and everyone knows it's a stupid law...