Mail: just started using; can't choose folder for incoming mail???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i just started using Mail.

i wanted to set my numerous incoming email accounts to separate folders so they dont get all mixed in together but that option doesn't seem to present it itself with this version of mail im using.

when i get to the screen that like in this tutorial:

http://www.themacobserver.com/tips/h...20010504.shtml

there is no option for where to put the incoming mail.

feelin a little stupid at the moment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    using Mail 1.2.5.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    If you have created separate mail accounts in the preferences, the mailbox drawer should contain icons and folders with kick down arrows that already divide messages based on their account.

In, Sent, Drafts, and Trash should all show the global result (combining all accounts in a single view when the disclosure triangle is to the side). Clicking the kick down triangle should show you that you actually have unique boxes inside the In, Sent, Drafts, and Trash.

User created mailbox folders can also live in the drawer, but with multiple email accounts set in prefs, your basic division should already be done, it may be that you just need to click the disclosure triangles to see the sub boxes.

If what you're looking for is the option to park mail into user-created folders (i.e. Personal, Family, etc), with the mailbox drawer open and a folder created there, just drag the mail from the main window over the folder icon.

You can also use the Message menu to "move mail to --- folder"

Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

That help?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    As curiousuburb said, Mail.app probably already does this for you, it just also provides a aggregated view for you as well. But if that does not work for you, you can also use the mail rules to move new mail into folders of you choosing on fairly complex rules. Just go to Preferences->Rules.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    i love you, man!

thanks so much guys.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesigns

i love you, man!

thanks so much guys.

aw yeah... group hug, people, feel the iLove.....