How hard is it to replace an iBook clamshell logic board?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got back from the Genius Bar at the Grove, and learned that my logic board in my Tangerine 6GB iBook is shot, and I need to replace it.

Before informing me of the bad news, the Genuis remarked that my iBook was in such pristine shape, "I'd get a lot of money for it."

I still have use for the iBook, and I'd like to eBay it in the next few months, so I'd consider replacing the logic board myself. But...

1. Is that hard to do?

2. Is there anything I should pay special attention to if I do so, and are any special tools required?

2. Is there a particular model of logic board that I should look for, beyond the obvious fact I wouldn't replace it with the Key Lime version with FireWire? For example, my iBook is the 2nd generation Tangerine iBook.

Thanks for your help!

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 2 of 4
    If you've got a little common sense and a lot of patience... it ain't that hard.

You pretty much have to strip the machine down to replace the HD, and lots of people (myself included) have performed that task without problems. Just keep track of where you remove screws and things ... a digital camera can be handy (and another computer to view the pics on a larger screen during re-assembly).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

If you've got a little common sense and a lot of patience... it ain't that hard.

You pretty much have to strip the machine down to replace the HD, and lots of people (myself included) have performed that task without problems. Just keep track of where you remove screws and things ... a digital camera can be handy (and another computer to view the pics on a larger screen during re-assembly).

I use a grease pen to write a number next to each pertinent screw's hole and then poke the screw into a piece of foam-core or similar and write the number next to it. Keeps them snug until I need them again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    This is great, guys... thanks for the feedback. I especially like the grease pen/foam core approach.

I was able to find a used logic board off of Craigslist for 60 bucks, so I'm on my way.

GTSC