DVD data recovery?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
really not sure where to put this thread, hope this is ok!

basically i've got a dvd that i burnt last year using an unreliable usb dvd burner on my old windows laptop. it worked ok for a while, but when i tried to access it recently it just comes up as a blank disc. you can see from the back of the disc that about 3/4 is burnt, but it's not accessible.

can anyone recommend any software to access the files at low level? i have seen a few programs on the net, but no luck so far. windows programs are ok as well, i have virtual pc or at least my roommates windows pc to use.

alternatively a data recovery service? i've looked at iomega's, but it's in the states and i don't really want to post internationally.

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Have you tried shining a flash light through the dvd to see if you can read the data?

I had the same problem last year when I lost some family pictures; I used these guys http://www.recallusa.com/ TotalRecal recovery service. They?re great, and for an extra 200 credits you can go to Mars and rescue it from mutants.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Have you tried shining a flash light through the dvd to see if you can read the data?

eh? i don't think i understand you here!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

eh? i don't think i understand you here!

See, you shine the flashlight through the DVD while rotating your hand in a counter clockwise motion?..
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ...so that I can read the miniscule recorded digital pits???
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

...so that I can read the miniscule recorded digital pits???

It was my feeble attempt at humor, see the data on the DVD is read using a laser, flashlight, laser, flashlight, laser...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    yah, i suspected that but it just came across wrong!