Flash MX question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm trying to put together a small flash animation for a coworker. The problem I'm having is that I have to save the individual pieces as jpegs before coverting them to symbols, so the clear areas are translated to white. The white areas show when I need to overlap the pieces.

Is there a way to mask these white area, so they do not show?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I'm trying to put together a small flash animation for a coworker. The problem I'm having is that I have to save the individual pieces as jpegs before coverting them to symbols, so the clear areas are translated to white. The white areas show when I need to overlap the pieces.

Take your jpg in Flash and Break it Apart (cmd-B), that way you can erase all the white stuff and make it transparant, or you can save your jpg as a gif in Photoshop and make the white zones transparant there (much easier).

If that doesn't work (and why shouldn't it), you have to use a layer mask to, er, mask selected white zones in your jpg. But that can be a real drag ... \
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

Take your jpg in Flash and Break it Apart (cmd-B), that way you can erase all the white stuff and make it transparant, or you can save your jpg as a gif in Photoshop and make the white zones transparant there (much easier).

you can certainly do this if the image is not all that complex, but you really don't have that much control for this kind of thing flash. chances are, you'll make it look like a really bad photoshop job. avoid gifs. gif would more than likely look like shit. knock out your color in photoshop or whatever, then save it as a png with transparency. flash plays well with png.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

originally posted by Silver

If that doesn't work (and why shouldn't it), you have to use a layer mask to, er, mask selected white zones in your jpg. But that can be a real drag ...

Cool. The Break apart sounds like it's lot simpler than what I thought I would need to do.

Quote:

originally posted by running with scissors

you can certainly do this if the image is not all that complex, but you really don't have that much control for this kind of thing flash. chances are, you'll make it look like a really bad photoshop job. avoid gifs. gif would more than likely look like shit. knock out your color in photoshop or whatever, then save it as a png with transparency. flash plays well with png.

Nah, what I'm doing is pretty simple. Some crude shapes to approximate body parts and heads and mouth cut from bad photos. I actually want it to look a little rough and cheeztastic. Going for the chuckles.

Thanks to both of you, this will help out alot.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

If your using Photoshop, and the "white" areas are transparent, you can save it as a ping, and you should be good to go. (by the way, your image has to be in RGB for you to be able to save it as a ping)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    if it's relatively simple, as you say, then once you get it into flash, trace bitmap and convert it to vector. then just select the white area and delete it. that would be easier than using the eraser tool.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    If you can remake your images, create them as .PNG files instead of .JPG. PNG images preserve their transparency when imported into Flash so there's no white space to delete.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

originally posted by the cool gut

If your using Photoshop, and the "white" areas are transparent, you can save it as a ping, and you should be good to go. (by the way, your image has to be in RGB for you to be able to save it as a ping)

Quote:

originally posted by medialab

If you can remake your images, create them as .PNG files instead of .JPG. PNG images preserve their transparency when imported into Flash so there's no white space to delete.

.PNG worked like a charm.