Who here owns a WRX?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As some of you know, I recently sold my '96 RX-7. It was fun while it lasted, and in the beginning I was thinking that I'd get something ultra-practical, such as a cheap wagon or a compact pickup. But that aspiration faded quickly, since it doesn't match my nutsy personality

I'm going to test drive when i get the chance, but it would be nice to get a few things ironed out first.

1. How much did you pay? I have one friend who got one for 23G, loaded. The MSRP base price on the website is 25G, which is a bit strange. Frankly, I'd rather pay 28 for a nicely equipped RX-8 than 15G for a base WRX.

2. What kind of insurance are we talking about? I have a really low rate, and was paying $1700 a year for the RX-7, which is a bit much.

Just to avoid frivolous posting, I do not want the 2.5RS, but could be talked into an STi. I would rather buy a Mazda3 than a 2.5RS, or for that matter any variant of VW Golf/GTI. I did a critical analysis in Excel that scores cars based on an analysis matrix of my invention. If anyone has any good ideas, though, they are of course welcome.

If no one has Excel, I'll post a pdf, but this way you can play with the formulas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Hey, I don't have a WRX, but I went on a test drive when they first came out.

This card was a blast to drive! The test drive started out by the salesman driving first. I was thinking oh great, this is going to suck and we're not going to be able to see the "real" power.

I WAS DEAD WRONG!

The guy peeled out of the packing lot and through a yellow light- we were going like 90 in a 35. Pure madness! We took a sharp right into a parking lot where he slammed on the breaks to demonstrate the anti-lock and all wheel drive.

This was the coolest test drive I had ever been on!

But...

I don't think I could live with the interior build quality on a daily basis. It wasn't too bad, but the dealership had a VW dealer too- so we test drove a GTI 1.8T. While it wasn't as fast or handled as good as the WRX it was very capable or beating the pants out of most things on the road.

VW's have very good interior build quality and the materials inside make you feel like you're in an Audi/BMW/Merc rather than in a Ford/GM/Shit car.

But...

I was in the UK this summer and saw the new golf V. Woah- it makes the current golf in the US look like shit. I'd wait for the next GTI (I think sometime in late 05/early 06). It's supposed to be a "back to roots" car- 200hp 2.0T.

I have a Jetta and haven't had any problems with it at all (I bought it used even, 50K miles- I'm up to 75K now). I absolutely love it- almost as much as my mac.

I'm thinking my next car is either going to be the new GTI or a Mini Cooper S. But I'm moving to Chicago in the spring, so I don't know if I'll be needing/wanting to pay for a parking spot in the city.

Hope this helps.

-taco
  • Reply 2 of 20
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    cooper s EATS fuel, but then again you dont have ridiculous fuel prices like us.... lol
  • Reply 3 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I don't think I want a Cooper S. I've looked into it, though, and you can get it in Manchester City Blue. Same with the Lotus Elise, which I would rather have than a Cooper S, and it doesn't cost all that much more.

If you're curious about my support of City, it's another story entirely (and yes, the last month has been a tough one), but I will say that I have no desire to get a VW GTI because I can get a Mazda3 loaded for $19000, and it has a surprisingly nice interior that reminds me a lot of some of the Peugots I've been in. It's very similar to the GTI, except that it has no turbo, weighs less, and I like the tune of the suspension better. They both perform about the same, except the Mazda is much more responsive in normal driving since it doesn't have a turbo, and instead has 500cc more engine.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Pragmatic wagonish things and crazed fun don't cancel out.

There's the 5 door Mazda 3 (which had it been on the market when I was shopping I think I would have got). There's the WRX wagon/hatch, which I test drove and found fun and responsive, if lacking a bit in refinement. Seems like I've read that there has been some trouble with the drive train. At any rate, wehn I was looking, the interior was only availabile in black cloth, which I thought looked like it was trying too hard to be "race" oriented.

If VW had offered a Golf 5 door with the turbo I would have got that, winded up with a Jetta wagon with the turbo, 5 speed and sport suspension.

I totally dig the combo of useful cargo space and fun driving.

You do know the turbo is small and spools up fast, kicking in at 2K rpm, so turbo lag is minimal and all but goes away when you get use to driving it. My only beef is cramped rear seat, but the interior amenities are pretty sweet.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If I buy another car I think it will be a Subaru. Everyone i talk to that owns one likes them. I know one woman with a WRX. She's not the type to test its limits.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If I buy another car I think it will be a Subaru. Everyone i talk to that owns one likes them. I know one woman with a WRX. She's not the type to test its limits.

Yep. They're definitely cool little cars.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'm currently shopping and leaning towards either the wrk wagon or a Forester with the turbo.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I own an '02 WRX. It's a very nice car, great fun to drive. It's true, the interior isn't as snazzy as some other cars, but I kinda figure it comes out in the wash given the generally excellent engineering that goes into Subarus. If you check the latest Consumer Reports, you'll see the car continues to get high marks for both satisfaction from those who bought it, as well as good reliability (some cars, like the Mini, have very high satisfaction, but low reliability -- the CR editors noted what should be obvious: people often love cars with character that go back to the shop more than they should. Even though many have had good experiences with VWs, according to CR, they fall into this caregory as well). As for the WRX, it's been a CR "recommended" car since 02 in the "sports car" category. I'd certainly get it again based on my experience with it.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

You do know the turbo is small and spools up fast, kicking in at 2K rpm, so turbo lag is minimal and all but goes away when you get use to driving it. My only beef is cramped rear seat, but the interior amenities are pretty sweet.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Of course, small turbos have downsides as well, and at the end of the day the Mazda 3 and the GTI 1.8T do 0-60 in the same amount of time. The GTI VR6 is actually slower. Go figure. Anyway, I do like the GTI, but I think the Mazda3 5 door is a much better deal.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Do you have Impreza GT's in the US?

If I could afford it, I think I'd be driving one myself. They were last available new in '99. WRX engine, but weighs a whopping ~200kg less than a new model WRX.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Yes, I'm aware of that. Of course, small turbos have downsides as well, and at the end of the day the Mazda 3 and the GTI 1.8T do 0-60 in the same amount of time. The GTI VR6 is actually slower. Go figure. Anyway, I do like the GTI, but I think the Mazda3 5 door is a much better deal.

With the mark IV VW chassis I'm inclinded to agree with you, I'll be interested to see how the mark V drives.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Here in Ann Arbor we've had (still having) the most snow since 1880. So I'm thinking a 4WD/AWD would be nice.

Next year I bet we get none.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Here in Ann Arbor we've had (still having) the most snow since 1880. So I'm thinking a 4WD/AWD would be nice.

Next year I bet we get none.

Even so, AWD gives a nice sense of footing on dry and wet pavement as well.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    planbplanb Posts: 7member
    I have a 2002 WRX wagon with 40,000 miles on it. It's been a great car and it's quite fun to drive. It's not really a car you buy for beauty (inside or out, though many would disagree) It's a car you buy for it's wonderful boxer engine and Subaru's superlative symetrical awd. For the price there really isn't anything to compare it to. It's really fast! The Sti is a completely different beast, it's quite gonzo.

If you are truly in the market for a new WRX you might consider waiting a bit. It has just been leaked ( by several subaru mechanics) that the 06 WRX's will get a 2.5l engine, up fron the current 2.0l. The 2.5 is a much better engine (nothing wrong with the 2.0) and this should really improve some of the low end performance of the car. The 2.5 is especially good news for wagon fans as there isn't an Sti wagon. (Sedan fans wanting more oomph could always upgrade to the Sti) I love and need the wagon and if there was a Sti wagon I probably would have bought one.

If you get a WRX, be careful. They are so fast (for most people who can't afford M3's and the like) that lots of people get into trouble by driving them beyond their abilty. The car isn't hard to drive, in fact it's a delight, but your reflexes have to quick at higher speeds. (they are really safe cars)

Only get an STi if you trust youself not to be an idiot behind the wheel. BTW the STi is said to be getting a power/torque bump fo 06 as well.

I think the 06 range should be announced soon and available mid-summer.

Also, the Legact GT is a cool car (faster than a wrx in it's current version)

hope this helps
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PlanB

If you get a WRX, be careful. They are so fast (for most people who can't afford M3's and the like) that lots of people get into trouble by driving them beyond their abilty. The car isn't hard to drive, in fact it's a delight, but your reflexes have to quick at higher speeds. (they are really safe cars)

Only get an STi if you trust youself not to be an idiot behind the wheel. BTW the STi is said to be getting a power/torque bump fo 06 as well.

You may have noticed that I used to have an RX-7, which is lighter and more powerful than the WRX, plus it doesn't have AWD. I'm looking for practicality more than speed, but the problem is that I'm really used to having a car that does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. I don't like it, though, that there's a rumor of the WRX going to 2.5L, because I don't want to wait that long, and I don't want the price of a 2L I might buy to take the plummet. I guess the same goes with the VW GTI, although that's a 2005 model, and perhaps that will surface state-side sometime soon.

Anyway, where did you hear that the WRX would be 2.5L? All of the JDM Subaru WRXs are 2.0L, even the STI models. The 2.5L engine was for the American STI only, and it seems strange to me that the regular WRX would get the 2.5L.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    After I gave my little safety lecture I re-read your post and realized you knew all about speed. Lots of little tards are draw like flies to Subaru and the resultant carnage is not pretty. A kid in our neighbourhood managed to destroy one last week on our curb! Must have beeen going about 60. I should have paid a bit more attention to your post. Now I have, and I even looked over your excel work!

The 2.5 thing is not a rumor, it's happening but hasn't been announced. The 2.0 motor will no longer be available in NA on any Subaru.

Some wag over at nasioc got a hold of a mechanic bulliten put out to prep dealers for diagnostic work on the 06's. If it were Apple one would expect forgery but the Subaru crowd isn't as creative as the apple crowd so I think it's legit and entirely feasible.

Here's the link

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&page=11&pp=25

I think this makes the 05's a bad buy right now only because enthusiasts will want to trade in their cars for the 2.5. A good Subaru to look at might be the 2.5 Forester XT. The face just got a refresh and it already has the 2.5 (it's a faster street light car than the WRX) It's also quite practical and has a grandma-like stealth to it.

Also there doesn't seem to be too much in the works for the STi except for some engine tweeks to bump the output.

Couple other tidbits:

Legacy gt, forester xt and wrx rumored to be getting 6 speeds for 06.

Tons of debate over 06 styling for the entire imprezza lineup. A revamp of the nose is possible this year. In any event the 07 will be an all new car. Subaru is trying to create a non-generic new corporate look and has a new head of design. To get a look at the direction they are headed look at the B9 thread in the news/rumors section at nasioc. It's quite controversial with the enthusists.

Would you consider a used WRX? Mine has depreciated quite a bit in the last year and is still a fun/fast/practical car.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Would you consider a used WRX? Mine has depreciated quite a bit in the last year and is still a fun/fast/practical car.

Where do you live?

I might also try to leverage the fact that 06's are 2.5L to get a lower price on a new WRX, but if you're close to Indialantic, FL I would certainly take a look at your WRX. (I put Cape Canaveral because no one knows where Indialantic is. The Cape is something like 60 miles North of me)

Moving on, I'm still quite fine with the 2.0L, especially given the amount of cheap mods one can get for it.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Bad writing on my part. I wasn't trying to sell my car...just using it as an example. (And I really couldn't be further away and still be in the lower 48)

Getting a new 2.0 or even a STi for invoice should be cake. Slightly below is even possible.

If you're willing to mod the 2.0 can scream. All engine mods void the warranty so a used Granny driven stock wrx can be a great car to mod.

Test drive an STi. I find the wing and air scoop a bit juvenile but some guys are de-winging them and adding a FMIC for the quasi-stealth look. And some people love that wing.

If you can afford an STi you should also test drive a Legacy GT as well. It's right around 5 secs 0-60! The interior is excellent by any standard, much better than the other models. It doesn't have the same feedback/road feel as a wrx but it's much better put together, way more comfortable and faster.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

If you can afford an STi you should also test drive a Legacy GT as well. It's right around 5 secs 0-60! The interior is excellent by any standard, much better than the other models. It doesn't have the same feedback/road feel as a wrx but it's much better put together, way more comfortable and faster.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be heading to the local dealer pretty soon, and I'll keep me eyes peeled for good used deals as well. Currently I'm wondering what it will take to turn an American WRX into something similar to a J-Spec STI. Keep in mind that where I live there is no inspection.

As far as the hood scoop, I like it, because it allows you to drop in a good-sized IC without blocking airflow to the radiator. I don't like FMICs, and went to great lengths to squeeze in both a massive radiator and a massive stock-mount intercooler into my old car. A hood scoop means less back strain during the installation phase. (and of course more air flow). I would happily go without the wing, though. . . . I am patiently waiting for more cars to have rear diffusers like Lotuses and Ferraris do. . .
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Splinemodel..

Check this out... lightweight WRX

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734490