Apple battling new scrolling TrackPad woes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dgurney

Maybe this kind of thing wouldn't happen if people didn't let Apple get away with churning out inadequately tested merchandise.

Something has lately gone wonky with the PowerBooks? What about the self-destructing screens on the entire last generation? Yeah, the LCD that pressed against the keyboard when you shut the computer, eventually destroying it. Come on, you had vendors selling sheets of friggin' leather to drape over the keyboard so these oh-so-elegant computers didn't destroy themselves. Has this problem even been fixed yet?

Oh yeah, then there's three generations of iPods that all skip songs. Not to mention the battery-recharging problem.

This is what you get when the entire customer base brainwashes itself into stupidly deifying a peddler of merchandise. That's right, people, it's just another company. Its products could, in fact, be very good... but aren't, because you aren't demanding it.

I'm very pro Apple, bit If i get a problem with the hardware I'll phone them, they're replacing my first powerbook now. I will not accept it. However, my iPod photo has problems (I'm waiting for the software update to fix them).
  • Reply 22 of 42
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Yeah, the LCD that pressed against the keyboard when you shut the computer, eventually destroying it. Come on, you had vendors selling sheets of friggin' leather to drape over the keyboard so these oh-so-elegant computers didn't destroy themselves. Has this problem even been fixed yet?

I don't recall that being a problem with the computers "destroying" themselves, just that dirt/grime from the keyboard ended up on the LCD [the Dell laptop we have at work has the exact same problem].

Quote:

Oh yeah, then there's three generations of iPods that all skip songs. Not to mention the battery-recharging problem.

Damn, I need to keep up with this stuff. What iPods are skipping songs? I have a 3G and never had this problem (although i think you'd only notice it if you were listening to an album or a playlist not in shuffle mode, right?). But I was thinking of upgrading. Which models have this?

Quote:

This is what you get when the entire customer base brainwashes itself into stupidly deifying a peddler of merchandise. That's right, people, it's just another company. Its products could, in fact, be very good... but aren't, because you aren't demanding it.

What? Apple is just a company? You're kidding! I thought they were a god or something! Oh, and demanding better quality won't necessarily help. I mean, look at Windows. Not buying is more likely to push them (MS hadn't done anything to get Windows 'fixed' until they started losing customers to Linux and such).
  • Reply 23 of 42
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

The sad truth:

Apple's the BEST computer maker in hardware reliability... and even THEY aren't what I'd call remotely "good enough."

Looking at those failure rates of NON-Apple computers makes me cringe!

I don't believe it.. How the hell could sony be number 2?!

Rigged, I says.

Oh wait, 1 in 6 sony's "have problems".. ok that's about right.

Of course, this may count driver conflicts and stuff as problems. Plus Apple tech support could be best by default simply because the problems are easier to solve and there are fewer of them.

Moreover, if it were a pole of mac users vs pc users on who likes their machines better, the mac users would probably bias it pretty hard, since PC users have no loyalty to their machines.

I donno I'm just putting words together.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

I don't recall that being a problem with the computers "destroying" themselves, just that dirt/grime from the keyboard ended up on the LCD [the Dell laptop we have at work has the exact same problem].

Damn, I need to keep up with this stuff. What iPods are skipping songs? I have a 3G and never had this problem (although i think you'd only notice it if you were listening to an album or a playlist not in shuffle mode, right?). But I was thinking of upgrading. Which models have this?

What? Apple is just a company? You're kidding! I thought they were a god or something! Oh, and demanding better quality won't necessarily help. I mean, look at Windows. Not buying is more likely to push them (MS hadn't done anything to get Windows 'fixed' until they started losing customers to Linux and such).

I believe the 2nd generation iPods could not play AIFF files without skipping and APPLE was aware of the problem.

• Reply 25 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

I believe the 2nd generation iPods could not play AIFF files without skipping ....

yeah like omigod that's like so terrible i'm going to boycott apple for the rest of my life because like everyone depends so so so much on AIFF files

sorry, couldn't resist
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Couple of corrections:

The screen problem wasn't just dirt and grime. The keys pressed into the screen, destroying the cells in the LCD. Not scuffing the screen, but actually ruining the pixels in the areas subjected to greatest contact.

The skipping problem isn't caused by AIFF. It occurs in any full-sized iPod since the introduction of the non-moving wheel, and maybe even before that.

The problem is well known, but most people just don't notice that it's movement that causes it. You'll see a lot of reports like this:

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/81275-1.html

that purport to have a solution, but you'll see that the poster still didn't make the connection.

Other baffled users:

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/71314-1.html

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/70631-1.html
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

Couple of corrections:

The screen problem wasn't just dirt and grime. The keys pressed into the screen, destroying the cells in the LCD. Not scuffing the screen, but actually ruining the pixels in the areas subjected to greatest contact.

The skipping problem isn't caused by AIFF. It occurs in any full-sized iPod since the introduction of the non-moving wheel, and maybe even before that.

The problem is well known, but most people just don't notice that it's movement that causes it. You'll see a lot of reports like this:

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/81275-1.html

that purport to have a solution, but you'll see that the poster still didn't make the connection.

Other baffled users:

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/71314-1.html

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/70631-1.html

fair enough mate...

for the record, when i had my TiBook i just got one of those leather screen protectors, gave me peace of mind and added another level of cushioning to the TiBook when travelling...

also i have been very very happy with my iPod mini Silver... it's a little thing of beauty... i have tried shaking it really really hard for about 30 sec while listening to it, didn't experience any skipping, never have

all the best to those facing issues with their iPods and/or PowerBooks. personally i think dropping synaptics and then have your trackpad f8ck up on you was a bit of a dumb move for apple, fearlessLeader will be/is rolling some heads
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah like omigod that's like so terrible i'm going to boycott apple for the rest of my life because like everyone depends so so so much on AIFF files

sorry, couldn't resist

'yeah, like-dude-man' When you spend over $10K on sound gear and your iPod can't play AIFF files without skipping. You kinda get pissed off.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Reply 29 of 42
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I'm having alot of issues with the trackpad on my new 17 inch powerbook that i got last week.

I get huge shocks from the pad when i touch it which was never a problem with my older powerbook (17 inch as well)

Also sometimes it stops responding for a few seconds or runs really slow.

I'm gonna have to take to the store but i just don't have time.

Also they changed the material of the trackpad surface and now my index finger is starting to get a calice. SO ANNOYING.

in the meantime i'm using a mouse which is what i usually will beusing except when i'm on the road wihtout access to a place ot rest the mouse on.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

I'm having alot of issues with the trackpad on my new 17 inch powerbook that i got last week.

I get huge shocks from the pad when i touch it which was never a problem with my older powerbook (17 inch as well)

Also sometimes it stops responding for a few seconds or runs really slow.

I'm gonna have to take to the store but i just don't have time.

Also they changed the material of the trackpad surface and now my index finger is starting to get a calice. SO ANNOYING.

in the meantime i'm using a mouse which is what i usually will beusing except when i'm on the road wihtout access to a place ot rest the mouse on.

I've had two PowerBooks (both new) the first latch broke - got stuck in so the lid wouldn't close. The second arrived today and this latch is really stiff and the fn key gets stuck BUT the trackpads have worked beautifully on both. I think some people are reporting this as software - but that doesn't make sense. My PowerBooks are both SuperDrive 15".
  • Reply 31 of 42
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    I'm all slightly amused by this given that I was one of the first people to whine about the new TrackPads sucking... at least the ones the new display models at CambridgeSide had:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...377#post738377

Glad to know I'm not mad and that it's a real problem!

Hope they fix it though. Stupid Apple -- why not stick with Synaptics?

[Edit: Fixed Link]
  • Reply 32 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

MacInTouch, a website which documents customer experiences with new Apple products, has been compiling reports from consumers dissatisfied with the new TrackPads. "I?ve had six PowerBooks since the PowerBook 100, and I can definitely state that my new PowerBook G4 15" has a dysfunctional trackpad," said one of the sites readers. Another reader complained that even after her new PowerBook had been in Apple's repair depot for two weeks it returned with a TrackPad that freezes or is 'extremely slow.'

I just have to point out, if you go to MacInTouch for any length of time you would be convinced that Apple's products spontaneously combust and kill people on a regular basis. I don't think there has been a major OS update or new product that hasn't instantly created piles of messages from the whiners that populate that site.

I'm all for holding Apple to quality standard, but I hate the typical MacInTouch reader--or at least emailer. If you parted the Red Sea for them, they'd complain about the mud on their shoes.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

.....If you parted the Red Sea for them, they'd complain about the mud on their shoes.....

• Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

....Hope they fix it though. Stupid Apple -- why not stick with Synaptics? ....

i bet people at Synaptics are bitter/pissed off/like i-told-you-so... this was such an excercise in pointlessness, though i *hope* apple had some valid business objectives in dropping Synaptics

lets see

1. Synaptics share price gets pummelled 20%

2. Apple had to spend a lot of time, money, people-hours to develop the 'new' trackpad in-house

3. PowerBook has lost some of its allure as professional-high-end apple mobile solution

4. Consumers and potential switchers are not impressed

5. High-end luxury switchers (these are the switchers that tend to buy 17" powerbook) are not impressed

all in all, an excercise in pointlessness, unfortunately.... \

glad apple has acknowledged the issue though
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

i bet people at Synaptics are bitter/pissed off/like i-told-you-so... this was such an excercise in pointlessness, though i *hope* apple had some valid business objectives in dropping Synaptics

lets see

2. Apple had to spend a lot of time, money, people-hours to develop the 'new' trackpad in-house

3. PowerBook has lost some of its allure as professional-high-end apple mobile solution

5. High-end luxury switchers (these are the switchers that tend to buy 17" powerbook) are not impressed

if that explanation is all the is required to fix the problem then there's no much of an issue. All computers develop faults, the batteries had problems before. Apple's logic boards on the iBook G3s were funny. However we didn't blame Apple because they didn't make the hardware. Obviously if all Apple products developed faults I would stop buying them (maybe!)

On a different note my backlit keyboard seems to be much more powerful one side than the other - although it could be due to the two letters on the numeric keypad bit.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    An exercise in pointlessness? C'mon, give Apple a break will ya? Everyone makes mistakes. Our new 15" 1.67 PB works FLAWLESSLY out-of-the-box and the trackpad is incredible (we can't go back to a normal trackpad anymore). We likes it, yes...it's our new precioussss...

Without taking risks in 'exercise in pointlessness' we'd all still be in the dinosaur ages.

Try running a business instead of just criticizing them...

Quote:

lets see

• Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

An exercise in pointlessness? C'mon, give Apple a break will ya? Everyone makes mistakes. Our new 15" 1.67 PB works FLAWLESSLY out-of-the-box and the trackpad is incredible (we can't go back to a normal trackpad anymore). We likes it, yes...it's our new precioussss...

Without taking risks in 'exercise in pointlessness' we'd all still be in the dinosaur ages.

Try running a business instead of just criticizing them...

fair enough dude \ its just my love for apple, i likes it, its my preciousss.... so i'm like an overprotective father sometimes, ya know... i love apple but sometimes the belt's got to come off for some good ol' spanking..!!*

*note: i do not have any children and do not necessarily condone such punishment

• Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

fair enough dude \ its just my love for apple, i likes it, its my preciousss.... so i'm like an overprotective father sometimes, ya know... i love apple but sometimes the belt's got to come off for some good ol' spanking..!!*

*note: i do not have any children and do not necessarily condone such punishment

lol...

• Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

you are forgiven