New Apple hire foreshadows possible iTunes subscription service

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    I have some inside info for you then.. a 6gb iPod mini is coming with a week.. you heard it here first
  • Reply 42 of 56
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
  • Reply 43 of 56
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    couldn't her hire be for something greater perhaps like a movie subscription service???

The long fabled iTunes Movie Store??

Or, the .mac evolution?
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

She also played a major roll

/me bashes his head against the wall.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

/me bashes his head against the wall.

You mean againt the "wale".
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by wnurse

(you know, whatever steve says today is gospel, whatever he says tomorrow, is gospel too).

Well, he's been on a roll lately so I'd say we'll trust him.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Over on MacNN, they are still railing against music subscription. Someone should pop over and tell them apple may go into the subscription business. I mean, now that steveo has changed his mind, they all sound really silly. They are now suddenly out of tune with the deity.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Over on MacNN, they are still railing against music subscription. Someone should pop over and tell them apple may go into the subscription business. I mean, now that steveo has changed his mind, they all sound really silly. They are now suddenly out of tune with the deity.

yeah you should e-mail them or something.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Original post was too damn long, so deleted. I guess summary should have been, in business, never leave a stone unturned. Jobs initial insistence on not doing subscription was reckless at worse and naive at best. To imagine that apple would permanently forgo a revenue stream was not realistic.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

A killer subscription service would offer mega-huge playlists of various genres, sort of like a whole set of internet radio stations.

With the advantage of choosing what to play when you want to play it, not just what's currently being broadcast. Or, maybe pick some interesting-looking iMixes when you don't feel like making your own playlists.

Glad you and some other people are seeing the positives and interesting potential of this type of service. 8)

I don't understand the whining over price unless a person's stealing music. Assume a subscription service is $10/mo. and a CD costs $10. Personally, I'll listen to *a lot* more different music for that $120/yr. with a subscription than if I only bought a dozen CDs, some which I'll never listen to again and maybe just a few songs from some. Honestly, what percentage of your CD (or even iTMS) collection is stagnating over time? Sure, it's satisfying having the luxury of spontaneity to choose and listen from what you own but that has its price, too, and a pretty high one if you're not ripping off your collection. Or you're content only listening to a small collection which, frankly, eventually gets boring.

I won't stop buying music because of a subscription service. And most of what I buy now isn't available on iTMS anyway. But I'd pay $10/mo. for the ability to explore ITMS selections without any obligation to buy. Then maybe I'll make some ITMS purchases because of new discoveries, while buying CDs for the higher quality.

Ideally, an ITMS subscription would be pay-as-you-go, without any long-term contract or obligation. Sort of like paying monthly utility bills. You stop paying, off goes the electricity, water, etc.

Such a service is clearly not for everyone and I really don't care who hates it, but fighting against it because of personal preference is selfish arrogance. Fortunately that attitude is minimal here... let it stay over on MacNN or wherever.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Original post was too damn long, so deleted. I guess summary should have been, in business, never leave a stone unturned. Jobs initial insistence on not doing subscription was reckless at worse and naive at best. To imagine that apple would permanently forgo a revenue stream was not realistic.

I've already said earlier that Jobs did NOT rule it out. It certainly wasn't reckless not do it then. subscriptions are still a small part of online music sales. I'm sure that if Apple feels threatened, they will come out with it.

When Jobs said that people wanted to buy, not rent, their music, he was probably right at the time.

Most people still haven't made their minds up about online music yet. The majority of the market is still untapped.

There's also the "doing it" and the "doing it right" part.

If Apple is watching and taking notes, the way they did with the player market, they could simply be biding their time.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

I guess summary should have been, in business, never leave a stone unturned. Jobs initial insistence on not doing subscription was reckless at worse and naive at best.

Yeah, but remember - Steve said the same thing about flash MP3 players! And while he was making fun of them being left in a drawer, the Shuffle was currently under development at Apple.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Such a service is clearly not for everyone and I really don't care who hates it, but fighting against it because of personal preference is selfish arrogance.

At first I thought I wouldn't like the service. Then after iTMS became available, and I started browsing - I found it very fustrating that I can browse through all this great music - but I could only listen to 30 seconds of the song. As soon as they offer subscription, I'm signing up right away.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

At first I thought I wouldn't like the service. Then after iTMS became available, and I started browsing - I found it very fustrating that I can browse through all this great music - but I could only listen to 30 seconds of the song. As soon as they offer subscription, I'm signing up right away.

Precisely. Though today I tend to just buy the song when I'm really curious, which may be more profitable to Apple...
  • Reply 55 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doxxic

Precisely. Though today I tend to just buy the song when I'm really curious, which may be more profitable to Apple...

Where did you find this thread/ It's so old it might as well have been dead. We are well past this by now.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doxxic

Though today I tend to just buy the song when I'm really curious, which may be more profitable to Apple...

I'm sure plenty of ITMS sales are spontaneous curiosity like that but Apple's not getting as much ITMS business from me as they could if they offered a subscription service since I've only bought one song "on a whim" this year.