hotsync and palms

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am wondering if I need to download the entire palm desktop software package. i plan on using isync to sync to my ical and address book. Do i really need anything other than the hotsync manager?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    try missing synch for palm.

otherwise the palm desktop isn't of much use.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Is there a website for that?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Yep. Mark/Space's The Missing Sync. Fabulous program. You do have to have a handheld running PalmOS 4.0 or later, though.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

I am wondering if I need to download the entire palm desktop software package. i plan on using isync to sync to my ical and address book. Do i really need anything other than the hotsync manager?

Thanks

you'll need the iSync palm conduit
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I understand that, but how do I get JUST that conduit? Don't I have to download the whole thing?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

I understand that, but how do I get JUST that conduit? Don't I have to download the whole thing?

Quote:

Palm Users: Get iSync Palm Conduit v1.2

To synchronize the information on your Palm OS device, Palm Desktop 4.0 (or later) must be installed before installing iSync Palm Conduit v1.2. The iSync Palm Conduit v1.2 will deactivate your contact, calendar and to-do conduits so be sure to do a final HotSync before installation.

Download iSync Palm Conduit v1.2 (892K)

You have to sync using Palm Desktop FIRST. Then install the conduit and sync with address book etc. If this device has nothing on it then you just need to sync nothing and set it up. If it has stuff you want to add to the address book and iCal, I'll guide you through the steps.

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Yep. Mark/Space's The Missing Sync. Fabulous program. You do have to have a handheld running PalmOS 4.0 or later, though.

Anyone have experience with this program? Seems pretty good, I like the functionality that it seems to have, and it looks like it will work with any handheld i may own in the future. Does anyone know it it will sync apple mail?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    No mail sync, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    but how is the rest of the program?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Oh, the rest of the program is fabulous. Syncs your addresses and calendar via iSync, allows you to use your handheld as a music player for iTunes (similar to when you plug in an iPod), can sync your iPhoto pictures to the handheld, has an AvantGo conduit, and handles most other conduits without any trouble.

It's easy to set up, and also offers internet sharing so you can browse the web or download email to your handheld through your Mac's connection. You can also mount any of your external memory cards on the Mac's desktop, and the software will remove all the extra Mac files from the card before unmounting it.

My only complaint is that, once I set it up for Bluetooth syncronization, it won't Hotsync through the cable anymore. Can still mount memory cards and do internet sharing via Bluetooth, but I can't do a normal cable-Hotsync now. Just BT syncing.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

My only complaint is that, once I set it up for Bluetooth syncronization, it won't Hotsync through the cable anymore. Can still mount memory cards and do internet sharing via Bluetooth, but I can't do a normal cable-Hotsync now. Just BT syncing.

I had the same problem. I reset it to sync via USB and then restarted the computer. Problem solved. It's not elegant, but that's Apple's fault. You have to do the same thing if you use the Bluetooth<->Palm scripts, which are a big PITA compared to MissingSync.

As for the overall program, I was skeptical for a while. I originally used PalmDesktop and it worked fine. I ponied up for Missing Sync once I bought a memory card though: so I could mount it on the desktop and also tie in with iTunes. It's done that and much more. It's so much better than Palm Desktop: more powerful and much more intuitive. I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

It's not elegant, but that's Apple's fault.

I would have thought it would be Palm's fault.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Hey thanks all - that will help greatly in my decision!