Decided to get an iPod mini, what are must-have accessories?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, I think I've decided to buy a 6GB iPod mini, which would be my first iPod ever. It will be pretty much full, but I think it will be a good way to step into the iPod world and then I'll get something better in a couple years.

My question is, what are the must-have accessories for the iPod mini?

Firewire cable (is it really faster than USB 2)? Do I need a dock? A case (does the mini need one)? Should I get APP if I'm only keeping it for 1-2 years?

What accessories are worth it for the mini?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    - firewire cable : for a 6GB one, USB 2 is enough

- case : it depends on your habits. If you are the kind of guy who put his I pod everywhere without too much care, case is the way to go. Otherwise it will annoy you more than anything else (from cell phone experience)

-dock : if you spent a lot of time in front of your computer it may be a great add.

- AAP : difficult to answer.

I don't think that good earphones apart, there are must have accessories. Buy your I pod, and see what you really miss in the future.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

- firewire cable : for a 6GB one, USB 2 is enough

- case : it depends on your habits. If you are the kind of guy who put his I pod everywhere without too much care, case is the way to go. Otherwise it will annoy you more than anything else (from cell phone experience)

-dock : if you spent a lot of time in front of your computer it may be a great add.

- AAP : difficult to answer.

I don't think that good earphones apart, there are must have accessories. Buy your I pod, and see what you really miss in the future.

Now what's the difference between all the Apple accessories? I know the AC adapter charges the thing without a computer but is that the same thing as the USB and Firewire power adapter? And what exactly does the Dock do? Does it do the same thing as the USB 2.0 or Firewire cables?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Now what's the difference between all the Apple accessories? I know the AC adapter charges the thing without a computer but is that the same thing as the USB and Firewire power adapter? And what exactly does the Dock do? Does it do the same thing as the USB 2.0 or Firewire cables?

Firewire and USB adapter charges the I pod batteries via this connectors.

The dock do the same, plus allow you to connect it to speakers :

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0.1.1.0.1.0.15
  • Reply 4 of 9
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Can't speak from personal experience about USB 2 as I use a firewire cable but as I imagine most people, like me, rarely do big transfers after the first time, USB 2 should be fine.

I think the only difference between the power adaptors is the models they work with. But I'd get one (geez Apple have could tight with the accessories haven't they). Charging from mains power is much quicker.

Case: I know the mini is sturdier than the iPods but I'd get a case all the same. It's saved my 3G 15GB from 3 drops over the years.

Dock: Waste of money. You can still play music through speakers and charge without it. It keeps the pod upright and that's about it as far as I've ever been able to work out.

AAP: yeah, difficult to answer. If you get a 1 year warranty, I'd just wait and decide later. But I think in the States the warranty is sometimes only 3 months. That's bullshit. Your call. I got it as much to cover battery replacement as anything because all the battery hooha was going on at the time. Touch wood, 2 years later my battery's still chugging along nicely.

I don't want to confuse you from the other thread, but I think if you can already fill a mini, you should consider the 20 GB iPod. You will listen to and buy much more music than you ever have before. This cannot be emphasized enough.

For me, the most important accessories (mine came with dock and power adaptor) were car accessories (power pod and connector for car stereo) and headphones. The recommendations in the headphones thread are spot on. Koss sporta or porta pros, Sennheiser PX 100s or 200s. I've got the sportapros although the portpros are probably better. The Sennheiser PX100s would be the pick of the bunch unless you can spring for the Etymotics or you only want in-ear phones (which I don't like).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    If you travel a lot I'd recommend the Altec Lansing iM3mini Speakers. They're sooooo sweet and nice to listen to while you're in a hotel room or sitting by the pool.

THe sound quality is decent considering their size.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    grab a clip off of a spare hands free set and use it to keep the earbud/earphone wire in place, only accessory you need
  • Reply 7 of 9
    If you have an active lifestyle or are afraid to drop your iPod, you can get a Lili mini case (www.lilipods.com). I bought one for my iPod 3G and it's very protective, watertight and floatable. Very cool.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I'm pretty happy with my iTrip mini, but if your car has a tape player, there are cheap tape adapters.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I do CD transfers with USB 2.0 in a matter of 10-15 seconds.Then again,windoze has better USB support than Mac.