Should I install Panther on my Tangerine iBook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Thanks to all of you for your help with my ongoing clamshell iBook drama. I replaced the logic board myself, and it wasn't quite as daunting as it originally seemed. Everything works fine now, and I'm running OS 9.2.2.

I plan on keeping the iBook for a few more months before I sell it off, so I want to upgrade the memory and add an Airport card.

However, should I install Panther? Will it run slooooooow if I do? Are there any pitfalls to doing this? Thanks!

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    We put 10.2 on a blueberry 300 iBook when 10.2 came out. It had 288 of memory and it was too sluggish. iPhoto just dragged. We went back to 9.2 and only used for surfing and emails.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    That iBook only does 800x600 IIRC.

OSX assumes you have a lot of room for icons and such.

Try using OSX at 800x600 on another machine and see if you can bear it. Also you will want a LOT of RAM. When the OS runs out of RAM is swaps to the hard drive and the drive in that ibook is very slow.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I installed panther on tangerine ibook, and then gave it to a pc using friend of mine(I wasnt using the ibook anyways, was too old/slow for my tastes even with os9 at this point). he loved it and still uses it all the time
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Panther is noticably!! faster than Jaguar on my tangerine 300MHz 288 RAM. Also, the RAM on your ibook is upgradable to either 544 or 576 depending on the soldered-on RAM, so don't believe the hype about the 288 / 320 MB limit.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've got Panther on a Rev d blueberry iMac and its seems to run fine. The speed difference compared to my 500 MHz Ti Powerook was significant back in the day, but now they all are slow compared to my G5 and I lump the machines in the same boat.

Either way, install Panther and eventually Tiger!