Adobe leaks Photoshop CS2 details

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Um, that's a pretty clueless comment. Photoshop up until now has always rasterized vector data imported from Illustrator and elsewhere. It's not a vector application, so expecting it to handle vector is unreasonable. The fact that we get it now, better late than never, is most excellent.

The only vector anything Photoshop seems to support as of CS1 are those rectangle/ellipse/custom shape things... And they're semi-painful to use.

I don't recall saying anything about importing graphics. The (primitive) shape tools were what I was talking about my friend.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

[Anyways, most people are really underestimating the importance of this update. I mean, hello, non-destructive filters?!? This is huge news. [/B]

Well, it's not Photoshop that I'm worried about, it's Illustrator. That app is just getting slower and slower - very fustrating considering you kinda expect vectors to be fast.

Non-destructive filters would be great, as long as there isn't too much of a performance hit. As well, I hope they've updated their filters or added new ones, because frankly, I think they suck shit IMHO.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

I don't recall saying anything about importing graphics. The (primitive) shape tools were what I was talking about my friend.

My friend, then your comment makes even less sense. You said:

Quote:

Really! Scale vector illustrations without losing quality. That's the whole point of using VECTOR in the first place. Seems they're trying to pull a fast one.

The primitive shape tools have always scaled without losing quality. The way I parse the press release, I see them adding retention for vector data when importing non-primitive vectors from apps like Illustrator, in contrast with the current behavior as of CS1, where such imported vector data gets rasterized after an initial resize.

Quote:

originally posted by the cool gut

Well, it's not Photoshop that I'm worried about, it's Illustrator. That app is just getting slower and slower - very fustrating considering you kinda expect vectors to be fast.

Indeed. Illustrator is a disgrace. A disgrace. There's so much wrong with it I haven't a clue where to focus my complaints. For starters, adding FreeHand/Flash-like intuitive border editing might be good...
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Anyways, most people are really underestimating the importance of this update. I mean, hello, non-destructive filters?!? This is huge news. Yes, people have been asking for this for years, and it looked as if the feature was going to debut in CS1, but whatever, it finally being here is very big news indeed. This is a huge productivity gain.

yes, this is basically the last MAJOR feature they needed to include. once they went to adjustment layers and we could do adjustments non-destructively it made no sense that we could do the same for filters. how many people dislike having to destructively add noise to a base image. sure you can dupe the base layer and add noise to that, but that's wasteful.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The addition of non-destructive filters should have helped clear the way for core image support. Of course non-destructive filters is one of the key benefits of Core Image, but I'm sure they wouldn't offer this feature only on one platform. Since it is coming to both, the question is will they give the Mac the advantage of filter speed that Core supplies? Would tapping all Apple's work on Core Image filters be that big of a problem if the idea of non-destructive filters is already there? Will they take Steve Jobs' challenge?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Since it is coming to both, the question is will they give the Mac the advantage of filter speed that Core supplies? Would tapping all Apple's work on Core Image filters be that big of a problem if the idea of non-destructive filters is already there? Will they take Steve Jobs' challenge?

No, Adobe will not give the Mac the advantage. They will not use a technology build in OSX that would give the Mac a speed (or feature) advantage. They will only do that for Windows. Think Acrobat.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    is anyone else excited about the word VECTOR?

i dont quite get how it would work with photoshop or how/how much exactly vector graphics type work they plan to put in this new version

ive always wanted photoshop to work this way cuz i really dislike the way illustrator is setup

can anyone please elaborate on this concept? how do you think it will be, or how do they imply it will be?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sickoperationz

is anyone else excited about the word VECTOR?

i dont quite get how it would work with photoshop or how/how much exactly vector graphics type work they plan to put in this new version

ive always wanted photoshop to work this way cuz i really dislike the way illustrator is setup

can anyone please elaborate on this concept? how do you think it will be, or how do they imply it will be?

The main way I see it implemented is when importing a vector file, as mentioned earlier. Currently this is rasterized on import and you can't make it any larger without it going soft. The new method would either embed the vector information within the file, or reference it ala After Effects or InDesign, allowing it to be resized and made as large as you like even after saving and re-loading.

And hopefully bitmap layer images will also be non-destructively transformable.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    that sounds pretty decent and useful, but damn i was kinda hoping photoshop would acquire its own set of uniqur vector tools.. maybe a "vector mode" where all the points and lines at the Least become active

... hehe, oh well, this is highly anticipated for me either way
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

The main way I see it implemented is when importing a vector file, as mentioned earlier. Currently this is rasterized on import and you can't make it any larger without it going soft. The new method would either embed the vector information within the file, or reference it ala After Effects or InDesign, allowing it to be resized and made as large as you like even after saving and re-loading.

And hopefully bitmap layer images will also be non-destructively transformable.

makes for an interesting conundrum when vector art and raster are in the same image. if you are using a low-rez bitmap image and you blow it up in a layout app like indesign, would the vector art adjust and be full rez. i think it would actually look WEIRD rather than good in that case. and if you're not going to be mixing the vectors and rasters, why not just use illustrator?

of course, this would be HUGE if it used vectors to render its type. then you could do all sort of cool photoshop effects on your text without it losing resolution if you're not doing a full-rez comp.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    As far as I can tell, non-destructive filters are not part of the upgrade.