Sony PSP... A dud?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Sony PSP just came out and it looked like it was going to devastate its competitors in handheld gaming. It does have great graphics for a handheld and has a bunch of other features too. The only downside that I can think of is the short 3 hour battery life.

I saw on the news that some stores had people waiting in line to get one the first day. However, when I go to stores now, they have them in stock. This was even mentioned on todays newspaper. What is the deal? This even after the Sony supply shortage. Can't be too good for the bottom line.

I think the answer may be quite simple. The machine tries to do too many things, without being exceptional at one. This is the Apple philosophy-to have hardware and software be exceptional at what they do and to intentionally leave things out that blur that focus.

The PSP just seems like a "gadget". I cannot describe it any other way. It lacks focus. There is already a design flaw on the analog nub and the SQUARE button. Hopefully this gets fixed next run.

In comparison, the Nintendo DS, while having slighlty inferior graphics, looks just about as cool (in a futuristic min-laptop sort of way), but has completely sold out. I still never see them in the stores. And the DS is not even the successor to GAME BOY.

To me, the PSP seems like a logical succossor to GAME BOY, but it is not doing well, whereas the DS is this new, kind of quirky take on "gaming different" and it is doing great. What is up?

I think it is this:

a) Price is high for a handheld

b) Battery life is low

c) build quality is dubious

d) It comes so soon after DS

e) It tries to also be an iPOD in a world that currently has Apple on the brain.

Any other thoughts.

I do not and will not own a DS or PSP, but have played both and I don't really care about handheld gaming much. I do like to keep up with new tech though, and with Cnet and others really pushing the PSP, I thought it was going to take off. However, now it looks unlikely. Your thoughts?

Could it be that nowadays the consumer is just getting smarter and more careful?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Eh, I think that it is because of the time of release. I mean come on, there are kids that need to get to the books as this is the final run before summer. Only one more month to get those grades up and parents are not willing to distract their kids more unless a timely birthday or an already overachiever wants one. But, I would look to the start of summer to see more of these sell.

People are more cautious now as well. Many will wait to try it out first. So, I think there are many factors to it not catching on right away. Where I live the DS is just as in stock as the PSP, maybe a little less actually, so it may just be to region on why your supply seems low...
  • Reply 2 of 41
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    PSP is in high stock here in mid-michigan.

Places have like 80 PSP's in stock on the shelf where DS is more like 6. Although the DS has been out for awhile so there isn't as much of a demand for the system.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Personally, I think high end portable game systems are silly anyway. The DS is silly, the PSP is silly. Both have lots of neat features, and lots of neat ideas and interesting stuff going for them, but I just can't see the appeal... why anyone would want to shell out over $300 for a portable game system and games.

The GBA SP is the pinnacle of portable gaming if you ask me.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's been out for ONE WEEK!

Let's have this conversation in one year, 'kay? By then we'll see how many kids got one to entertain them over the summer and how many were sold during the holiday season.

I hardly think you can judge the unit's long-term success by the fact that there are still some in stock after a week.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Has anyone seen the new P2P commercial? I think it's fucking great!
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's been out for ONE WEEK!

Let's have this conversation in one year, 'kay? By then we'll see how many kids got one to entertain them over the summer and how many were sold during the holiday season.

I hardly think you can judge the unit's long-term success by the fact that there are still some in stock after a week.

That is the whole point! The thing just launched with a very small supply. sony called it a shortage. See a resemblance to PS2, where people could not get them, because they sold out? That is not happening with the PSP, but it DID with the Nintendo system. So there IS a market for it. Sony was marketing it like mad before the DS even launched to steal thunder. The launch date is not near as fortunate as DS had, but still, DS is selling well even now, while PSP is not. Perhaps $250 for a HANDHELD is too much. Event he XBOX does not cost that much. And at launch it cost only $50 more. Way too high.

That is why it seems it will not do well. From the original PS to PS2, Sony has sold its machines like hot cakes. They were focused. PS had decent 3D with CD media and tons of third party support. PS2 has all the third party support, great 3D and DVD capability. The DVD player built in was a natural. Again-focused. Now comes the PSP; in a market long dominated by its sole entrant: Nintendo. The first thing you notice is the hype. Especially on Cnet. Then you notice-it is not like that in the real world.

The product seems like a gadget. Fun for a while, but not focused. I agree with the above post about take on high end hadheld gaming. I personally am not into it. I am into new tech and also how that new tech is designed, marketed and how it performs. While the screen is nice, that is probably the best thign going for it. I think it will tank.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    The iPod didn't really get much attention and sales when it launched either. Its success came years later. So why do we judge PSP based on one week's reports?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I got to see one close up today and it looked pretty cool. I thought it would be cooler though if it had a video out. I guess the tech is not there yet, but I'd dig that. It'll be interesting too to see if the disc format catches on with movies etc. Anyway, a pretty neat device, we're definitely getting closer in having a super cool portable multi media device.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    the PSP seems cool to me, i'd like to buy one when i can spare the moolah. i'm only an occasional gamer, but the screen seems nice and i like the idea of being able to watch movies, view pics, and listen to music on it. (i already have a 3G iPod and the shuffle.) i wouldnt carry it around every day, but take it with me in the car or airplane for long trips instead of taking the powerbook. but i admit, while the PSP is cool, it's not a must-have item for me because i do have an ipod, powerbook, and gameboy, and cell phone with games.

i think one of the reasons for PSP sales being slower is because it wasn't launched right before christmas. i remember standing in line for a PS2 in november when it first came out. also, the PSP is also pricey enough to put it just out of the "impulse buy" category for young people.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    I don't think the PSP will be a failure at all, at least from a console perspective. Some of the launch titles are excellent (I'm loving Wipeout Pure) and I think there are only good things ahead for it... the battery life isn't half as bad as I thought it would be, either.

As a media device, though, I can't see it taking off. It's a just too large, and feels too delicate for you to use on the go like you can an iPod. The screen is *stunning* on the thing, but even so having to hold the thing up all the time to watch a movie on it isn't comfortable. Some people will probably get large memory sticks for it and download some TV shows, which is handy and all, but I can't see a lot of people buying movies on UMD to watch on their PSPs.

As for PSPs still being in stock, I think that's mostly due to Sony having shipped a lot of PSPs to be on hand for the North American launch - I think it was one million units for day one. Nintendo, on the other hand, only shipped a million DSs to North America between the time it was launched (late November) and the end of 2004. I couldn't find exact numbers for how many they had at launch, though they sold about half a million in the first week.

So, in summary, the PSP is an awesome games machine, but your iPod is a better music player.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 11 of 41
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

anyone got a link to where I can catch it? BTW the iPod did not immediatly take off either. I dont think the PSP will have the following that the iPod has but I do think it will do very well. As someone else mentioned they are trying to do too many things without doing any one of them exceptionally.

p.s. I think their timing for releasing this thing is brilliant.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    I feel like rolling over and pressing the snooze button on the PSP for another year or two. Technology-needs-to-grow. Grow right back to sleep.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    No.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/31/tech...ales/index.htm

GBA, SP, and DS all sold out initially. Even without holiday releases (exception: DS). PSP did not. And this is even though there are so few of them to begin with. Endo of story.

The PSP is a great handheld gaming device. But it is also a gadget. And the quality is poor. I think it looks pretty cool and the graphics are good, but the UMD thing is not so cool. And as for movies, it is DOA. sure, Sony will support it becuase Sony has a movies division, but who wants to buy a movie that ONLY plays on your handheld? I would much rather have a DVD that can be compressed and transferred to a handheld, but still play in my set top box or computer. DVD is versatile. UMD is proprietary lock-in. And the movies aren't cheap.

With the PSP, I thought Sony was making the right move as it seemed like something Nintendo should do logically to succeed the Game Boy SP. However, the media format and the price as well as build quality and afterthought functions take away from it. If I ever get a handheld, I think it will be after I see what the Nintendo Evolution handheld is capable of and compare then. I like the PSP the best so far, but it seems like it is missing something.

As far as iPOD:

iPOD was a hit from the get-go. Its introduction immediately saw Apple dominate the MP3 player market, taking down Creative. Its just that now, it is the most popluar thing since sliced bread.

OF course the iPOD is the better music player. It was designed to be. Focused.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

afterthought functions take away from it.

Would those be like the PIM functions and media player functions that Nintendo are releasing for the DS? Also, you can't complain about proprietary media formats, like the UMD, when it's mainly a different method of delivering game content to the machine. Nintendo have been using propietary cartridges for years, and continue to do so with the DS. The opportunities afforded by having media with a capacity of 1.8 Gig vs the current DS cartridge size of 128 MB are huge for developers.

It's amazing that Sony could release a handheld that can offer an experience almost on-par with their current home system. Nintendo failed in that regard. My DS is just a big Gameboy SP. I don't feel that I am getting much more value for my money with the addition of wireless and an extra screen on the DS.

As you see media playback on the PSP as gadget-y, I see the addition of the touch-screen on the DS the same way. Picture messaging? PIM?

You are right that the PSP will fail as a media machine, as it isn't focused. However, I'm certain that Sony will have electronic video distribution system within the next 8 months. (I read, earlier today, a story that mentioned something about 500 movies available.) Whether it will cause iPod-like success, I have my doubts, but I'm sure Sony will throw a lot of energy behind the push.

Who knows?! Perhaps we'll be seeing nice integration with the iTMS movie section in the future.

All that being said ... anyone want to buy an SP + Flash Linker. I need to finance more PSP game purchases.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I doubt Sony is expecting people to buy movies for the PSP.

I would bet money that they are expecting to pirate movies for the PSP.

Similar to Apple and the iPod.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I doubt Sony is expecting people to buy movies for the PSP.

I would bet money that they are expecting to pirate movies for the PSP.

Similar to Apple and the iPod.

Of course! They just need a legitimate source of content as a facade. I've already tried 3 or 4 pieces of software for the Mac which make adding video content to the PSP from DVD/DivX/etc a simple task.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

The commercial is fantastic. Nice to see something innovative and brilliant once and a while.

I'm not gonna get a PSP though. Probably not a Gameboy DS either, and I'm a pretty big Nintendo fanboy.

Each day I already carry my cell phone, iPod, wallet, and keys. I don't want to lug anything else around or install special pockets in my clothes.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I like advertising (mmmm Cannes top commercials festival), anyone have a link to the new PSP commercial?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

I like advertising (mmmm Cannes top commercials festival), anyone have a link to the new PSP commercial?

I'd like to second this request. I don't watch TV much, so I will need Internet sources.