RTFD files now show as folders!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
D'oh!

I found a new text processor (Simultron) that I like better than Textedit, so I went and changed the Open With attributes for .rtf, .txt., and .rtfd files. Well it turns out Simultron doesn't read .rtfd files, so now all such files appear as folders filed with a .txt file and .png files for each image within the .rtfd document. The trouble is, I don't know how to turn .rtfd back to Textedit docs, since right clicking a folder in the finder doesn't give an "open with" option.

Is there some other way to assign an app to open these .rtfd files? The folders all have the proper name and suffix, so I presume that all is not lost, but I do need these .rtfd files and there are too many to put back together by hand.

I tried making an .rtfd file in Textedit and then saving, but it's the same thing, a folder with a .txt file and a bunch of .png files.

Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

D'oh!

I found a new text processor (Simultron) that I like better than Textedit, so I went and changed the Open With attributes for .rtf, .txt., and .rtfd files. Well it turns out Simultron doesn't read .rtfd files, so now all such files appear as folders filed with a .txt file and .png files for each image within the .rtfd document. The trouble is, I don't know how to turn .rtfd back to Textedit docs, since right clicking a folder in the finder doesn't give an "open with" option.

Is there some other way to assign an app to open these .rtfd files? The folders all have the proper name and suffix, so I presume that all is not lost, but I do need these .rtfd files and there are too many to put back together by hand.

I tried making an .rtfd file in Textedit and then saving, but it's the same thing, a folder with a .txt file and a bunch of .png files.

Please help!

The files are probably just fine, but they are being shown as folders instead of bundles due to the change of helper app.

Here's an idea that might work:

Open the Users/Youracct/Library/Preferences folder.

Drag the file "com.apple.launchservices.plist" file to the Desktop to stash it in case you need to restore it.

Reboot.

If it didn't work, just put the file back in Preferences. You could try dragging that file to TextEdit and searching for the string "Simultron" and deleting that whole entry, if you know how property list files look.

Or maybe just trashing Simultron and restarting will work. Or deleting the "com.vendorname.Simultron.plist" file in Preferences.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Thanks Lundy, worked like a charm. I opened the launchservices plist and deleted the simultron array, then rebooted. Everything is back to normal.

I was hoping there was a preference file somewhere...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Thanks Lundy, worked like a charm. I opened the launchservices plist and deleted the simultron array, then rebooted. Everything is back to normal.

I was hoping there was a preference file somewhere...

Glad it worked. Now I'm wondering how the Simultron guys somehow don't know that this happens...