Mac OS X Tiger Up-To-Date Program

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Will we be expecting to see Tiger pre-installed on the PowerBooks on/before/after April 29, 2005? I want to order a PowerBook now (which is after the official April 12, 2005 Tiger announced date). When I got into the Apple Store Online and selected the PowerBooks, it still says the PowerBooks come with Mac OS X Panther installed. Do I have to wait after April 29, 2005 to order with Tiger installed? Or will Apple throw in the Tiger upgrade CD? How does it work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Will we be expecting to see Tiger pre-installed on the PowerBooks on/before/after April 29, 2005? I want to order a PowerBook now (which is after the official April 12, 2005 Tiger announced date). When I got into the Apple Store Online and selected the PowerBooks, it still says the PowerBooks come with Mac OS X Panther installed. Do I have to wait after April 29, 2005 to order with Tiger installed? Or will Apple throw in the Tiger upgrade CD? How does it work?

The way I understand it, if you buy a PowerBook today it will come with Panther installed on it. Then you can buy for $9.95 a single license for Tiger to put on the PowerBook.

If you wait 17 more days then it will come with Tiger already installed on it, making your life easier.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Is the Tiger upgrade CD the same as a pre-installed system with Tiger on it? My concern is the Mac OS upgrade perspective.

I want to get a PowerBook now, but Panther is installed on the system (since the official Tiger release date is on and after April 28, 2005). It's worrying for me, especially when I don't understand how the "Erase and Install" option works from the Tiger upgrade CD. Does it mean that the whole system will be "completely be erased" and only Tiger installation/files will be installed on the machine (without traces of the Panther files)?

Ps. Am I looking at this problem too much on a Windows perspective?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tling

Ps. Am I looking at this problem too much on a Windows perspective?

Yes.

The Archive and Install option will leave you using nothing but Tiger system files. All the Panther stuff will be tucked away in a Previous Systems folder and completely inactive.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    So the CD's you get from the up to date program are the standard OS CD's? or are they a weird upgrade version that requires the previous OS to be installed? I can't remember how it was for past versions.

I'm only asking because I would wind up doing the UTD program with unlimited server so I want to make sure I wind up with a 10.4 server I can install on a formated HD
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

So the CD's you get from the up to date program are the standard OS CD's? or are they a weird upgrade version that requires the previous OS to be installed? I can't remember how it was for past versions.

I'm only asking because I would wind up doing the UTD program with unlimited server so I want to make sure I wind up with a 10.4 server I can install on a formated HD

As far as I know Apple has never ever made upgrade only CD's or DVD's. The ones included in the UTD would be just an off the shelf box of Tiger (Tiger Server in your case). I am thinking of doing this as well. Probably place my Mac mini order here in the next hour maybe.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

As far as I know Apple has never ever made upgrade only CD's or DVD's. The ones included in the UTD would be just an off the shelf box of Tiger (Tiger Server in your case). I am thinking of doing this as well. Probably place my Mac mini order here in the next hour maybe.

actually i believe they did make an upgrade cd very early in the life of os x. i don't recall which transition it was but i remember people learned how to hack the upgrade cd (which was given away free) and turn it into a full system installer. i think it might have been the 10.1 upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    So if I order my Mac Mini today, I know that I will qualify for the $9.95 Tiger. However, what I'm not sure of is whether or not I can pay for Tiger at the same time as ordering the Mac Mini or if I have to wait until I physically have the Mini and then enter the serial number from it. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by IshallcallhimMacMini-Me

So if I order my Mac Mini today, I know that I will qualify for the $9.95 Tiger. However, what I'm not sure of is whether or not I can pay for Tiger at the same time as ordering the Mac Mini or if I have to wait until I physically have the Mini and then enter the serial number from it. Anyone got any ideas?

You have to enter the serial number. If you go to that link above and log in it asks for your serial number.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    Missed out on the up to date thing by a couple of weeks

Sucks, have apple been flexible about this kind of thing in the past?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Does anyone know in the past if the "Mac OS X Up-To-Date Program" be extended to different parts of the world other than the U.S. and the Canadian customers?

I'm looking at my local Apple site ( Apple Computer Hong Kong - http://www.appleclub.com.hk/ ) and I can't seem to find this program.