iBooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A friend of mine wants to sell his 2 month old 14", superdrive, 512mb ram, iBook for $800.00. At first this seemed to be like a great deal to me, but I've started to wonder if there isn't a new iBook coming out this week. Even if there is, it might still be a pretty good deal. Any news on the latest iBook rev, or possibly G5 PBooks?

Please pardon me if this should have been in the Future Hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Seems like a really good deal to me, regardless of what new products come out. Is it the 1.2ghz model?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

A friend of mine wants to sell his 2 month old 14", superdrive, 512mb ram, iBook for $800.00. At first this seemed to be like a great deal to me, but I've started to wonder if there isn't a new iBook coming out this week. Even if there is, it might still be a pretty good deal. Any news on the latest iBook rev, or possibly G5 PBooks?

Please pardon me if this should have been in the Future Hardware.

Too bad that wasn't 2 months ago or I would have sent him a check (if it was a 1.2 ghz w/super drive (or just dvd/cdr).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    dude, that is an awesome deal, and your friend is definitely doing you a favour in a little way. even if new iBooks come out, you're looking at $1400++ for a marginally improved one

also you might find yourself really liking your iBook so don't forget to buy full AppleCare if you are going to keep it past the first year (from the date your friend bought it)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    That's a great deal on a great machine. I don't think an updated iBook would prove a greater value than that.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

...but I've started to wonder if there isn't a new iBook coming out this week. Even if there is, it might still be a pretty good deal. Any news on the latest iBook rev, or possibly G5 PBooks?

Don't count on G5 Powerbooks. The iBooks had been consistently updated in 6 months intervals for at least 2 years now. New iBooks this month is almost a given, but who knows if something changed.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Don't count on G5 Powerbooks. The iBooks had been consistently updated in 6 months intervals for at least 2 years now. New iBooks this month is almost a given, but who knows if something changed.

<complain>Cool new iBooks, I can't wait to purchase something that looks like shitt after a week of purchase. The thing scratches if you look at it. </complain>

Ok ok, so do you think will get an update on the dated looks of the iBook?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

<complain>Cool new iBooks, I can't wait to purchase something that looks like shitt after a week of purchase. The thing scratches if you look at it. </complain>

i dunno about his experience...but ive had a G3 ibook for years and yea it scratched but it wasnt that bad...you have to remember that the G3's were white inside and translucent plastic surrounding it, making scratches easily seen when there was a light shining on it...the current ibooks are not translucent...they are just white, which does not create as noticeable scratches...

as for updated looks...i want new iPods and iBooks to match...i would prefer some sort of aluminum- metallic inner shell and ice plastic like there was on G3 ibooks surrounding the complete outside...in ibooks they could add a metallic inner shell over the magnesium shell to make this effect... i guess the best way to explain it is an anodized aluminum in ice... or better yet...the ipod will become the link between pro and consumer at apple...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Without any hint on that from anyone, at this point, this would be the result of wishful thinking and good luck.