Announcement of new Hardware

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    These were rumors by thinksecret, so don't quote me too hard on this one.

They claimed that apple has been focusing on dropping the watercooling... because delphi claims it lasts 2.5 years but apple has found it only lasts about 2 years. This would be a very good reason to drop this cooler.

I haven't been a fan of the water cooling device since day one. There are too many more factors added with these devices, leaking, evaporation, potential rust (even with additives to prevent it). I have a feeling apple is going to have a recall or have a lot of problems with those coolers going out within the next 12 months... that could be bad, hence why they would want to get rid of it in the upcoming machines.

There are many things they could do to a current chip to get it to run a little cooler: thermal grease to get all air molecules out of the area between the chip and the cooler. Run a lower vcore. Better case cooling... these are just redesigns without modifying the chip. See reasons above for modifying the chip to make it cooler while keeping it within the same family.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    They are more likely to be wrong reporting good news.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Why would Apple wait so long to announce the same hardware?

Well, a simple explanation might be that Apple doesn't want to announce new hardware right before a major OS release. It makes sense to hold the hardware until it can ship with Tiger; it simplifies the process for Apple and for customers. Anything announced next week, of course, can ship with 10.4 preinstalled.

If memory serves, there were no hardware releases in the weeks leading up to Panther, either; I think the last update was PowerBooks in September, which was prior to the announcement of Panther's release in late October. Then new iBooks came the week Panther was released, and the dual-1.8 Power Mac and 20-inch iMac about two weeks later. There was nothing about those machines that would have prevented them from being released any time in the previous couple of months, either.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    I agree, i think it makes most sense that new products will come out a few days before or the same day as tiger. this way, the most computer units can be sold by using press from tiger, and anyone who wants tiger but already has a computer won't be affected anyways. i hoping next tuesday or at least friday... oh god, i can almost taste it...
  • Reply 25 of 36
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Apple Store now has dual PowerMacs at 3-5 days for standard configs (instead of same day), 5-7 days for BTO. A BTO eMac is also 5-7 days.

• Reply 26 of 36
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    You know, after all these problems between TS and Apple, it's possible that Apple is sending out feelers to feed bad information to TS. At least that's what I would do in Apple's position.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

You know, after all these problems between TS and Apple, it's possible that Apple is sending out feelers to feed bad information to TS. At least that's what I would do in Apple's position.

Where have you been? your only the 60th person to offer up that theory.

g3pro"at"apple.com- isn't that Steve Jobs old mythical email address?

• Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Some of you are forgetting TS said the PMs were going to be updated at NAB -- "New Power Mac G5s at NAB" -- a sub-head straight out of the story. The only fact about TS HW reporting recently is that it has been 100% wrong, they didn't show.

that's the point!
  • Reply 29 of 36
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Where have you been? your only the 60th person to offer up that theory.

g3pro"at"apple.com- isn't that Steve Jobs old mythical email address?

Shhhh, I'm trying to lay low...

I'm really the 60th person? I haven't been keeping up-to-date on the forum, and so I haven't caught up on the latest conspiracy theories.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I was just at the Braintree, MA CompUSA and there was not one 17-inch PowerBook on display there. I don't think it means anything significant, but I thought it was odd that Apple's flagship PowerBook was conspicuously absent.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dschango

Well, obviously, TS was wrong with its predictions of new hardware, and i am still waiting for hardware updates...

Think Secret really should have been using their head. No way would Apple disctract anything from the official release of Tiger - that's not how they work. As well, Steve said during Apple's Q2 that they have exciting new products coming this year *starting with Tiger April 29th.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Think Secret really should have been using their head. No way would Apple disctract anything from the official release of Tiger - that's not how they work. As well, Steve said during Apple's Q2 that they have exciting new products coming this year *starting with Tiger April 29th.

First off, Tiger is getting major news coverage, even with new hardware. Its a major OS, and some speculates that this is whats going to compete with Longhorn when it is released. (Since noone knows when 10.5 will be released, though I suspect around Longhorn)

Secondary, releasing crapass powermacs along with Tiger will 'hide' how crappy they are (Compared to 3.0 Ghz in a year, every expects dual-core, etc. etc.), which would be nice for Apple. Bad PR is bad.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

Just how are they able to drop the water cooling (on the rumored 2.7)? Seems like however lackluster it is, it would run at least as hot as the 2.5.

Wind tunnel?

RDF

• Reply 34 of 36
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

Just how are they able to drop the water cooling (on the rumored 2.7)? Seems like however lackluster it is, it would run at least as hot as the 2.5.

Wind tunnel?

The Xserve is air cooled and has dual 2.3 GHz G5s. The Xserve also has less room for heat sinks. Both the Xserve and Power Mac have the same Operating Temperature specification, 50 to 95 degrees F. It should be no problem using air cooling at 2.5 or 2.7 GHz.

The fan noise should not increase much. It is the same amount of heat that will be blown out of the box, whether it or not it has the water cooled intermediate heat transfer. With pure air cooling, however, the heat sink attached to the chip will likely be larger. (Air velocity over the heat sink needs to higher if designers skimp on its size, for cost or space considerations.)

• Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

First off, Tiger is getting major news coverage, even with new hardware. Its a major OS, and some speculates that this is whats going to compete with Longhorn when it is released. (Since noone knows when 10.5 will be released, though I suspect around Longhorn)

Secondary, releasing crapass powermacs along with Tiger will 'hide' how crappy they are (Compared to 3.0 Ghz in a year, every expects dual-core, etc. etc.), which would be nice for Apple. Bad PR is bad.

Apple never EVER mixes releases. They have proven that time, and time again. Everything they release get major press coverage. The fact that they ignored this goes to show you that they are just posting without any thought - they made the same mistake with the specs for the processor upgrades, thinking they were MP's when they clearly weren't.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Apple never EVER mixes releases.

there is a first time for everything