Best 23" LCD Options

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I would guess that because people are superficial and cannot handle not having a brand that can be namedropped at will. Doesn't it sound more impressive to say you have an Apple 23" display than a Dell 24" display? People know the former is more expensive and the latter, being Dell, must be crap.

I find any display in this class is pretty impressive, whether good or bad otherwise. They're humongous compared to the mid range 17" LCD or 19" CRT that I think are the most common.

I think if a person is on the ignorant side regarding display brands, he's going to be impressed by the physical presence, not the name.

If the person is more knowledgeable, he'll be just as impressed or more when the name dropped is Viewsonic or Samsung.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    just ordered 2 Dell's... got the 24" model for $1009.28 each... cant wait!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Wow, that's a lot of screen real estate! I'm jealous
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

While I personally ended up buying a Dell, it's ugly as shit, and makes me cringe when I have clients around.

In that sense, if you want your setup to look "really nice", the Apple display does add value on that front. So for instance if you have a lot of clients around, or if it's worth it to you to have a really amazing looking setup, the extra few hundred bucks may be worth it (it isn't like it's twice as expensive).

well lets see... I paid a little over 2k, $2100 or thereabouts to be precise for 2 Dell 24" monitors... 1 single Apple would have set me back $1799 plus tax & s/h, which was all inclusive in the Dell. So for 300 more, I got twice the product and the Dell uses the newer generation Samsung display.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Wow, that's a lot of screen real estate! I'm jealous

lets just say it takes some getting used to!
  • Reply 26 of 31
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i totally understand that a lot of people dont care about how their display looks as far as casing goes, but really, the dell and sony displays are a shame to industrial design everywhere. i hate it when critics praise. those dell tube-base displays for their looks, when they really belong back in the 80s. anyways, my apple display, though pricey, is freakin awesome and everyone that sees it comments on how nice it looks.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    To each his own... I'll save the $$$ and buy the Dell (and get newer technology and a slightly larger screen)
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Apple decreased the prices of their displays today, $799 for the 20" and $1499 for the 23" HD. It's still not as cheap as Dell, but at least they are listening.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    In Ireland, Apple charge ?829 for the 20" wide screen, and Dell charge ?836. Both prices include taxes and shipping, and are the lowest prices offered on both the Apple and Dell store to normal Home and Business customers.

Looks to me like Apple is cheaper than Dell at the moment, at least in Ireland. I guess this will only last until Dell run a promotion.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

In Ireland, Apple charge ?829 for the 20" wide screen, and Dell charge ?836. Both prices include taxes and shipping, and are the lowest prices offered on both the Apple and Dell store to normal Home and Business customers.

Looks to me like Apple is cheaper than Dell at the moment, at least in Ireland. I guess this will only last until Dell run a promotion.

well good for you - if I had the choice (price-wise) I would pick the Apple too... alas, like I said, even with Apple's newly reduced pricing, for $700 more, I got 2 24" displays than what Apple charges for a single 23.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I got an email from Apple this morning letting me know that they did not ship my display yet and that I needed to call back to confirm my purchase (again). I was pissed off about this needless to say since I ordered the monitor on Saturday morning and payed for overnight shipping... expecting to get the monitor on Tuesday. Well while I was on the phone getting them to remove the $38.00 shipping charge they couldent deliver on my buddy IM's me a message saying they just changed the price of their displays. So I asked what I would be charged and they told me that EDU pricing dropped the price to $1299.00. **sighs in relief**

Someone is listening.